Official Home of the Clan McLea (The ancient historical name of the Livingstones)
Lismore Cathedral was the See of the Roman Catholic Bishops
of Argyll and the Isles.
See of Lismore
In 1200 John the Scot, Bishop of Dunkeld, sent his chaplain, Harold,
to Pope Innocent the III to persuade the Pope to disjoin Argyll from
Dunkeld maintaining that the revenues of Argyle were adequate to support
it as a separate Episcopal seat. The Pope agreed and Harold was appointed
first Bishop of Argyll with his seat at Muckairn on Loch Etive.
In 1236 the See moved to the safer location of Lismore and henceforth
was called See of Lismore. Despite Bishop John’s assurances the
See of Lismore was always very poor.
The constitution of the cathedral was :
There were four Deaneries attached to the See.
Kintyre inc Knapdale.
Glassary, (or Glasrod) inc all the parishes in Mid-Argyle, along
with the collegiate church of Kilmun on the Holy Loch, founded
for a provost and seven prebendaries.
Lorn with all its parishes.
Morvern with its parishes of Eilean Finan, Arasaig, Glenelg, Kilmallie,
Kilmalen(?), Kilcolmkill, Killintag, Ardnamurchan, and
In 1289 Pope Nicholas IV wrote to Laurence, Bishop of Lismore, saying
that Iona Abbey is immediately under Rome and outwith the See of Lismore.