Roll Call

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Roll Call

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Livingstone/McLea family and friends, In response to Hamish Mcleay's question about who the members of our little forum are (where we live, etc.), I thought I'd start this new 'roll call' thread. I am Kyle MacLea, 30 years old, just got married, living in Michigan, USA. My family has been traced to John McLea, blacksmith, living in Glasgow about 1818.  His wife, Janet McKay, was from Rothesay, and so it seems that he might also be from there, but I have no proof.  My Y-chromosomal DNA signature comes closest to matching McCains from County Antrim in Ireland, the so-called Route McKanes.  It seems that I am therefore not closely related to the chiefs of McLea and their families, except as another of Gaelic stock.  But, only time will tell where our inquiries lead us.  There is still a lot of interesting stuff to be discovered!
Rob Livingston2

Roll Call

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

This is a nice idea Kyle.  It would be nice to get a better sense of who contributes to our forum. I am Robert Livingston, age 51, living in the mining town of Placerville, California (once known as "Hangtown").  My great grandfather, John Alexander Livingston came to San Francisco as a 6 year old orphan in 1861.  He was the only son of Lachlan Livingstone, a native of Bachuil, Lismore who had emigrated to Sparta, Illinois in the 1840s along with his brothers and sisters and cousins.  Many of these relatives died soon after emigrating due to consumption, pneumonia and other maladies.  Lachlan in turn, was the son of Alexander Livingstone, a tailor and shoemaker, and the grandson of Baron John Livingstone of Bachuil.
Grant South1

Roll Call

Post by Grant South1 »

Wonderful Idea! I am Grant South. My mother's people were from Glasgow and Donegal. In Donegal the rare surname of Clee is found in Raphoe Barony within Catholic families. The surname Clee is found as a variant of the Clea family. Also on that side is a gallowglas McSweeny descent, these folk were originally from Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll. I think I may be the only member who descends from the Donegal Clea's. I live in the Tweed Valley of northern New South Wales, Australia, with my wife and son's who descend from the Lords of Lorne, via the Mackay Clan Chief's. All the best. Grant South
Andrew Lancaster4

Roll Call

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

I am Andrew Lancaster, and I think I'm the only Belgian on the forum! I grew up in Brisbane, Australia, not so far from Grant I now notice! My maternal grandmother's Livingstone family were from Tumbarumba near Canberra and the highest mountains in Australia. By coincidence my father comes from the Macleay valley in NSW. My search for my Livingstone roots is recorded here: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Livingstone.htm. Cheers!
Craig McClay Wilson

Roll Call

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

Hi, my name is Craig McClay Wilson and here is my information: My oldest known McClay ancestors lived in Donegal, Ireland (Letterkenny/Ramelton area). They came to the U.S. during the potato famine of the 1840's and moved to farms in the Oakdale, Illinois area.  My cousin, James McClay, lives on one of these farms; he is the "American McClay" who took the DNA test. I live in Sacramento, California (only about 40 miles from Rob's town).
Grant South1

Roll Call

Post by Grant South1 »

Hello Craig, Good to hear from you. Happy to hear from another McClay from Donegal. Letterkenny borders Raphoe. The Clea's in that area also used Clea and Clay. Several McClay's are found near them. I also see McAlea is recorded at Ballybegly, All Saints, Raphoe. Livingston is also recorded. It would seem an enclave of the clan established itself in Donegal around Lough Swilly. I'll do a wee bit of digging and see if more of their story can be found. All the best. Grant
Grant South1

Roll Call

Post by Grant South1 »

Hi Andrew, To paint a bit of a picture for others on the forum. The Macleay Valley is just to the south of the Tweed Valley on the east coast of New South Wales. The Macleay River was named after the Colonial Secretary of NSW, Sir Alexander Macleay. Sir Alexander received an extensive land grant at Elizabeth Bay in Sydney Harbour. He built the historic Elizabeth Bay House as the family home, which is now in the National Trust. He was also instrumental in the establishment of the Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney, and served as it's first chairman. My grandfather was Superintentant of the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW, and remained an admirer of Macleay's vision and work.
John Livingston2

Roll Call

Post by John Livingston2 »

Hi - I'm John Livingston, 56, married and living in York, UK. I was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, and I have traced my line back to 1699. The family were mainly farmers and slate quarriers around Culsalmond in Aberdeenshire. There must have been several hundred descendants from this group, but I am the only representative so far on this forum. I'm waiting for the full results of my DNA profiling, but the initial 12 marker results place me (and the other Aberdeenshire people, I guess) in haplogroup R1A. This seems to be distinct from most of the other Livingstone/Macleas, and the nearest matches I can find are with MacDonalds. Just why the R1A Livingstones came to be in Aberdeenshire in the first place is the puzzle !
Andrew Lancaster4

Roll Call

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hi John R1a is often associated with Vikings in Britain, and Aberdeen had its share of Nordics. On the other hand, the surname may indicate that your family originally moved from another part of Scotland. All parts of Britain have a smattering of R1a. Have a look at this webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... lo_r1a.htm Regards Andrew
Craig McClay Wilson

Roll Call

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

Hi Grant, I have done some research on earlier McClays in Donegal. Oldest reference I found was a 1630 Muster Roll listing for a John McCley in Raphoe.  Undertaker was a Sir John Willson.  Several McClay listings in Donegal on the 1665 Hearth Tax Rolls (upper Fahan and Tullyfern). The old McLea Manuscript talk about three McLea sons who fought for the King of Spain with the 7th Earl of Argyll. Per the Manuscript, the sons later went to Ireland , one to Donegal. Probably in late 1620s.  So it seems that there were both Catholic and Protestant McClays/McLeas in Donegal!. Craig