Origin of the name Levack

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Alec Levack

Post by Alec Levack »

Gary, If you read back through all these posts on this thread it'll save me an awful lot of writing! For me the name Levach appears on record in Caithness in the 1600s. Whether that implies their arrival or just the first record I don't know. For some reason around 1850 the spelling seems to have changed en-masse to using a K instead of an H. (I know Gaelic connections were deemed a hindrance to people in these times - but that's just a possibility.) I've got as far back as my great great great great (4) grandfather; born Robert Levach, 1719, Watten, Caithness. My great grandfather left Lybster in the 1800s, working as a fishery officer, and is buried in the old churchyard in Cromarty. The name though is really all that interests me as opposed to the family side of things. First Premier of Ontario in Canada was Oliver Mowatt. His parents were from Caithness who emigrated in 1815 after James(?), got home, with all the rest of the Caithnessians who fought in the British army against the French in the Battle of Waterloo. James' wife, (Sir Oliver Mowatt's mother), was Helen Levack. It is thought that the town of Levack in Ontario is named after her. As I say, if you read back through all these posts on this thread you'll pick up most of what I know. If you send an mail to almaclean12 AT yahoo dot co dot uk they'll be able to send you a researched family tree where your line might join at some point.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Thanks, Alec!
Alec Levack

Post by Alec Levack »

Gary, Kyle, I forgot to mention that it would be very interesting if any other Levacks could join this forum's DNA survey. It would help if a pattern was established. If you could do it yourself Gary or persuade one of your relatives...... I was guided through the process by the people on this site.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Yes--having more Levacks to test would be quite welcome.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Gary, Perhaps sometimes before 1850 the name was changed from Levach to Levack. The 1841 Scottish census records 100 with the Levack spelling many of them in Caithness and in the lowlands and only 25 with the Levach spelling most of them residing in Wick in the County of Caithness. I think the fact that either the census taker or the residents in Wick went with the Levach reinforces your understanding that Levach was
Canadian Livingstone

As Alex was saying I would suspect from looking at the Levach/Levack records that for whatever reason in the 1840's and by the 1850's that the Levack spelling in the Scottish records became predominate. The source for the information that the Levacks are connected to the Livingstons is not infact known. Lord Lyon in the 1920's or 30's may have stated that in his clan book that published around then, but this information was not exclusive to Lord Lyon and was mentioned in an earlier Scottish Clan book in the early 1900's. I do not know however where this story originated. I need to check out that earlier clan book but I dont think it gave an original source for the Levack-Livingstone connection. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Too often, those early clan books don't seem to provide any evidence or sources at all--so I'm not surprised.
Alec Levack

Post by Alec Levack »

I'd be interested to read information on any French or German Levack families, as the only "concrete" history / records I've managed to find seem to originate in Caithness. Problem with getting more DNA is the shortage of people bearing the name. I've only actually met one other and that was by chance in Caithness.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, There were lots of french protestants that settled I think in Britain in the 1600's with the edict of nantes revoked. Some also went to the colonies I think. I think is was Louis the 14th that responsible for the persecution and expulsion of french protestants? I found out recently there were french protestants with Samuel De Champlain at New France and there are some that think Champlain might have been Protestant given that he had a biblical first name but I dont know if that is true. Anyways I have an excellent book on French Protestants or Huegenots about those who settled in Canada that gives a brief history on them in Europe unfortunately it is packed away in the cupboard. I this wonderful knotty pine bookcase from Ikea that holds most of my favourite books but regretable my history and family history related book collection has gotten out of control and some end up in the book limbo that is commonly
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I did see the Witch of Mull River comment--that's great!