Where Are Your McLea/Livingstones From?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
John M Livingston

Post by John M Livingston »

Donald, I'd be very interested in hearing more about any ties to Livingston's of Islay.
Glenda McPherson

Post by Glenda McPherson »

Angus Livingston, born 1773, son Alexander, born 1806, his son Angus, born 1840 at Big Bras d'Or, Cape Breton presumably "disappeared in Australia" in 1860. He is my great grandfather. Went by the name Charles Angus Livingston. I have his marriage certificate which shows him to be the son of Alexander Livingston and Isabella Deson. I have his death certificate which shows him born about 1840 in Nova Scotia and arrived in Australia about 1860. I have much more info as well. Contact me.
Alison McLea

Post by Alison McLea »

Hi Kyle, I am Alison McLea from the UK my family on my fathers side are McLea and originate from the East Kilbride, Glasgow area let me know if you need any further info and I wil quiz my father on his relatives. Kind regards, Alison. PS I love having the name McLea even if i have spent most of my life having to spell it for people.
Francis and Joan Eyking

Angus Livingston Cape Breton-Australia

Post by Francis and Joan Eyking »

Hello Glenda: I am not a Livingston but have purchased and live on a section of the original Angus Livingston (b.1773) land in Big Bras d'Or. I understand that his grandson is your great grandfather. I live within a kilometer of St. James church where Angus (b.1773) and many of his descendants are bruied. I can send some photos of the gravesites and the surrounding area if you are interested. I would like to know more about this Aussie connection. Please email me at francis.eyking@ns.sympatico.ca. Thank you, Francis Eyking 1674 Old Route 5 Big Bras d'Or Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada B1X1B1
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi Glenda-- Also, don't know if you saw this message: http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... sp?ID=2484 Sharon is also a descendant... Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Glenda, I apologise for the belated response to your message. This is indeed very interesting. Keith Livingstone who has stated that there is an Australian Livingstone family connection to old Angus Livingston b.1773 who settled in 1819 at Big Bras d'or Boularderie Island would be interested in your collection of original documents. I would greatly appreciate more information on the marriage certificate and the death certificate of Angus Livingstone's grandson and son of Alexander Livingston and Isabella Deason. I have the information from Alexander and Isabella's tombstone if you need that. So Charles Angus Livingston son of Alexander and Isabella LIvingston b. in 1840 went to Australia. Finally this all makes sense to me. It was Angus Livingstone's grandson that went to Australia. Thank you for clarifying that. Sorry we did not reply sooner to your informative message. I will try and contact Keith regarding this. Perhaps you are cousins. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Alison, I have a cousin who lives in California who spells her name exactly the same as you!
Glenda McPherson

Post by Glenda McPherson »

Hi Donald: Last September I visited Big Bras d'Or with my Aussie sister and our husbands and saw the tombstone of Isabella and Alexander (and many other Livngston(e)s). Lovely cemetary overlooking the lake. We also went to Guysborough and found the original townsite land grant location given to Isabella's grandfather. Not sure how this forum "works" so I can get you the marriage and death certificates and lots of other info. Advise please! Glenda
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Glenda, Welcome back to the forum. I understand from your earlier message you are a descendant of Angus Livingston son of Alexander son of the Cape Breton Pioneer Angus Livingston. We are interested in anyone descended from the Bras D'OR Boularderie Island, Cape Breton Livingstons and in any information regarding this family. The story goes that the original Angus was a napoleonic war veteran and hopefully someday we will be able to find his military info in the archives in London. If I understand correctly Alexanders son Angus or charles Angus settled in Australia in the 1840's. I understood there was an Australian connection perhaps more than one with this family but yours is obviously well documented with records. Perhaps the easiest thing for the moment is to hang on to your documents keep them in safe place and just tell us the summarized details in a message to the forum. I will print a copy of your forum posting with your family info on file and it may in come in handy should other relatives of this Bras d'or family contact us. Keith Livingston of Australia has told me of his connection to the Bras d'or family but I am not as clear how exactly he is connected in his family line to old Angus born in 1773. Clearly he is correct that there is an Australian connection to this family which I did not have a clue about before. Clearly you have documentation which are looking forward to learning more about. As i said we are hoping hear from the Bras d'Or Livingstons as we have a number of Livingstons or Livingston kin that visit the forum who have roots in Atlantic Canada. I am trying to keep notes regarding the origins and history of these families as I am of those highland Livingstons that settled in the rest of Canada. Hopefully someday upon completion passing this on to the Baron and other interested Livingstons of the society.