Where Are Your McLea/Livingstones From?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Heather Livingston Willis1

Post by Heather Livingston Willis1 »

Keith, Thank you for your comments. Have you seen this website? - http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~capstick/livngstn.html I'm sure the information is about your Angus Livingston. I have yet to bridge the gap between Nova Scotia and Scotland for my ggg grandfather James Livingston.
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

You might want to focus on the Parish of Appin, where the forename James is prevalent.
Heather Livingston Willis1

Post by Heather Livingston Willis1 »

Robert, thank you for this tip.
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Heather, My John Livingstone also seems to be a lone Ranger, I can't connect him to any other Livingstones in Nova Scotia. He arrived on the Brig Humphrey in July 1806 at the age of 20 to P.E.I. by 1807 he married a Christie McPhee and had a son and was living in Low Point Nova Scotia. It does seem odd to me that he can not be connected to any of the other Livingstones in N.S.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All, Actually the most interesting thing about the Livingstons that settled in P.E I.British North America in 1806 that they were prior to this at Mull for a time, but upon closer inspection their family records indicate they like my Livingstones that settled in Red River, British North AMerica a few years later indeed both originated from Morvern. THese Livingstones and my own appear to have left Morvern for neighbouring Mull,and in the case of my family in the early 1800's or sometime before finding work on the Isle of Islay. I have found no information that indicates that Morvern Livingstones were forcibly cleared from Morvern during the era of the 5th Duke of Argyll, but a number of Livingstones did apparently leave Morvern prior to the later century 19th clearances which took place there. Interestingly the P.E.I Livingstons have similiar first names to my Livingstones at Red River. Whether I can draw any direct connections between the two Livingston families is still uncertain, but it is clear that our Livingstones originating from Morvern were on the move in the Highlands by the early 1800's and seriously considering the opportunity to own their own farm land in British North America. As Australia became a settlement option some of the Morvern Livingstones, perhaps those affected by subsequent 19th century clearances, apparently located there. One descendant of a Morvern Livingstone from Australia I located indicated to me that his ancestor had been a Miller at Savary. No matter how you intrepret this info, finding another Morvern Livingstone is always encouraging news. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel, I should clarify my statements that the PEI Livingstones originated from Morvern. There are in fact Three Livingston arrivals in PEI in 1806 that I am aware of. Only one mentions that the family were natives of Morvern before being at Tobermory, Mull. 1. Donald Livingston b. about 1751 at Morvern with his sons Duncan, John, Donald, Alexander and daughter Flora arriving Charlottetown P.E.I June 20, 1806 aboard the brig "The Rambler". Duncan and John are also known to have been born in Morvern, although family may have lived for a time in Mull before settling in P.E.I. 2. Margaret Livingston and her husband James Currie arrived from Tobermory, Mull aboard "The Spencer" that arrived September 22, 1806. 3. John Livingston arrived July 1806 aboard the brig "Humphries" with his wife Miss McPhee. (Not certain whether this vessel originated from Tobermory, Mull or whether he is connected to above mentioned Donald Livingstone 1751-1840 who settled interestingly enough on lands in 1807 in Prince Edward Island which had indeed had been owned by Lord Selkirk. The same Lord Selkirk which several years later would grant land to my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone and his kinsman Donald Livingstone at his Red River settlement. Interesting coincidence indeed. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Alison (Livingstone) Stacey

Post by Alison (Livingstone) Stacey »

Lost Australian connection to Angus Livingstone of Big Bras d'or through grandson also Angus Livingstone
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

I have been aware of a large Livingston family group in northwestern Victoria, Australia, that appears to have been here since early settlement in the 1830's. Many were butchers. I believe there is a Livingstone buried in the early Western District town of Hamilton, near the famous Grampians range (hint of Scottish settlement)..and the grave is very early. Melbourne wasn't officially settled till around 1835, but Scots settlers and sealers and whalers and squatters had made inroads to the Western Districts very early, around the time the Tasmanian penal colony was getting established. There are small towns with Scottish or Irish names like Dunnolly and St Arnaud in the general area.
Lynda

Post by Lynda »

1. McONLEA 2. Archibald b. Bute ca 1669, possibly married Isabel CAMPBELL 11 January, 1693/94 at Rothesay. 3. His daughter Janet Mclea b. 25 November 1694 at Ballison'law, Bute, married John McKINLAY 30 March 1719 at Rothesay. 4. Their son Alexander Mckinlay b. Abt. 18 September 1734 at Rothesay, married Mary McNEIL 30 March 1759 at Rothesay. 5. Their daughter Janet Mckinlay b. Abt. 3 April 1760, married James KIDD 13 December 1793 at Glasgow. 6. Their son William Kidd b. 19 December 1793 at Glasgow, married Catherine THOMAS 31 January 1812 at Glasgow. 7. Their son Alexander Thomas Kidd b. 1835 at Glasgow, married Frances CRAWFORD 24 June 1859 at Glasgow. 8. Their son William Kidd b. 5 September 1860 at Glasgow, married Ann Mcqueen ALEXANDER 18 July 1885 at Greymouth, New Zealand. 9. Their daughter Margaret Guthrie Kidd b. 12 December 1890 at Brunnerton, New Zealand was my grandmother.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

An impressive tree, Lynda!