Livingston connection

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Bob Turcott

Livingston connection part 2

Post by Bob Turcott »

To all, a footnote addition: My grandfather is Neil Livingston Zimmer My great Granfather is James Arthur Zimmer born 1890 died 1964 nahant mass, his wife was Emma Eldridge. My great great grand father Charles A Zimmer and his wife Sara Livingston were married in boston on August 30th 1889, Sara's parents are: James Livingston & Prudential. The funny thing is and I am just realizing this now about my grandfather Neil Livingston Zimmer carrying both the first name Neil and the middle name Livingston from the surname Livingston (probably named after his uncle and ancestral family), I also see my great grandfather carrying the first name James to honor the ancestral family and his grandfather James Livingston), and my middle name is James. So I asked my mother why I carry middle name James and she told me My middle name was after my great grand father!!! The name Neil seems be a significant family name as well as Duncan and of course the very common James! It will be quite interesting to see what branch I come from!
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Hi Bob, Wonderful to hear from you! Have you tried searching the vital records found at Scotlands People; http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ All the best! Grant.
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

Grant, Thank you for the clue and the warm welcome. I have started to investigate this source and found that site has a problem with early parish records before 1845~. However I will continue to ivestigate that source further as it has a considerable amount of data that needs to be examined. Over time I plan on learning the various branches of the Livingston and perhaps help construct those ancestral lines. It is none the less very exciting for me to develop my Livingston ancestral line and I have a considerable amount of research experience from my paternal ancestral research. Now the work has begun on my maternal lines such as Livingston. I will certainly keep you posted on my research findings. If you see anything that might relate to my current research activity please let me know. I also have several Websites about some of my ancestry, I plan on developing a Livinston page for my ancestral line in the future, hopefully sooner than later depending on how soon I wrap up my ancestral line. Bob
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Bob; somewhere in your threads you refer to a Boston connection. In chasing down my own ancestors, who at first seemed to all come from Glasgow region/Blantyre, and earlier from Argyll, we found one who appeared in Nova Scotia and is still buried there, though his son died back in Scotland! There was a huge migration of Argyll clans to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island around the late 1790's to the early 1800's. Many went with the Hudson Bay company, some with a rival company. For instance, it is quite possible that nearly all of the existing clansmen of Dr David Livingstone were on Prince Edward Island, or Nova Scotia, or spread out well into Ontario, and of course, south into Massachussets/Boston. In my research, the Livingstones intermarried and migrated en masse with McPhails and Morrisons from Argyll..around Tobermory and Mull. The relationships surface everywhere. David Livingstone's youthful extended family in Blantyre had the same surnames popping up, although the exact relationships are murky. Hope this helps.
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

Kieth, I will look into this, my 3rd great grandfather James Livingston migrated to the US in 1870-1871~, and was born in Scotland in year 1843 ~approx. James and his wife His wife Prudential were either married in scotland between 1870-1871, they could have been married in the US, but it is certain both were born in scotland, I am researching a death cert for him as he died for certian in the US, I also have to look at earlier boston census such as 1880 for another snapshot, plus I am going to get marriage act of their daughter Sara (my 2ng great grandmother from the church)I also plan on getting every single baptismal notice of all thier children. I will investigate the chronological osmatic probability of Dr Livingstone, but are skeptic about a connection to Him but will take a peek, PEI & NS are good areas to search passenger list as I want to look at each and everyone one of them till I find James. When was Dr Livinstone on PEI? If it was early 1800's then a connection to him is unlikely. In closing you may provided me with some good migration points to look into, thanks a bunch. In closing I am higly confident that there could possibly be a connection to the Barons for sure.
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

To all, I started to look thru 1880 boston census and there is a person named Kathleen Livingstone that is in charge of Transcribing the census electronically, I have contacted the project leader to get in touch with her for me as it could be cousin. I am interested to see if Kathleen is cousin, I will notify all when I find out..
Bob Turcott

Livingston connection

Post by Bob Turcott »

I am connected in a most unexpected way? What do you think of this? Looks like James took the surnam name of his mother!!! James Livingstone was born James Duncan McCormick on 3 May 1842 in Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon, Argyll, Scotland and was christened on 11 May 1842 in the same place.
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

To all: Katleen Livingstone is indeed a cousin!!! I got very lucky!!!! Kathleen is descended from Duncan Livingstone. Duncan is my great great grandmother Sara Livingstones brother!!! Anyway I posted information that she provided to me and it is posted on Livinston connection.
Bob Turcott

Livingston connection

Post by Bob Turcott »

To all: To elaborate further, Professional Genealogy researcher , Patricia Martin of England, found that James Livingstone was originally named James MacCormick/Maccormack "Mccormick". He changed his surname to Livingston (his mothers maiden name) when he deserted the service in 1871 from new brunswick, canada. James enlisted in the british army as a recruit at aberdeen depot on 7th jan 1862 while the 78th regiment were stationed at aldershot in hampshire. at that time, he used his correct name throughout his army service. on the 5th november 1862, he joined the regiment at shorncliffe. his movements with the regiment for the following years were asw follows: 1864, apr-jun at dover 1864, jul-sep at dover then to dublin 1864, oct-dec at dublin 1865, jan-mar at dublin, good conduct pay of 1d from jan 8 1865 and furlo 1 feb to 14 march. 1866, apr-jun at gibraltar 1866,jul-sept at gibtralter james was promoted to corporal 24 august. 1866, oct-dec at gibraltar 1867, jan-mar at gibraltar to hospital jan & feb. After the years in Gibraltar, the Seaforth Highlanders proceeded to Canada and Nova Scotia where they stayed until their return to england in 1871. The musters for that year show James with the reiment at Bedford. He was with the regiment at saint john, new brunswick during august and september during which time he went AWOL (ABSENTT WITHOUT LEAVE) for 3 days and for this he lost his good conduct pay which took effect from 11th sept. During the period of 1 january to 31 march 1871, James was listed amougnst the reengaged private soldiers staioned at saint john new brunswick until the 2nd march 1871, at which time he deserted from the regiment.In the effects
Kyle2 MacLea

Livingston connection

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Great story, Bob!