Ballachulish Livingstons & Livingston USA

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
John Livingston

Post by John Livingston »

Hi Folks I am still trying to ascertain whether anyone would have any information regarding the Livingstons of Ballachulish.
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Dear John, I have looked at the parish records for Ballachulish and did not find your James or Isabelle. I then looked in surrounding areas. Also no result. Casting the net a wee further I did find a marriage record for James Livingston to Isabelle Clerk, dated 30th April 1837 on Lismore. These are the only records I find which are a fit to the names you have. I do hope this helps? All the best! Grant.
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Well Done, Grant! Were those details on this web site? Regards Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
John Livingston

Post by John Livingston »

Hi Grant That sounds like them.
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Dear Young Bachuil, I did not find the information here. Rob's research covers records that often belong to pre-civil registration in Scotland. Having references which are outwith their scope in certain parishes. I would like to work towards transcription of the parish microfiche in time. I often see mistakes offered by the original transcribers. This needs to be undertaken with a knowledge of the respective families in that area. An example is found in Black's great life work- Surnames of Scotland. Here under McClee he gives a wonderful local record of the Lamont Chiefs, but then offers a presumed and random Irish origin to the name. If this record had of been embraced by the knowledge of local territorial families and their heritable connections quickly McClee would have been seen for what it truly was, as a locally recorded variant of McLea, given that the record itself bears witness to an expression of the feudal relationship between the McLeas of Linsaig with the Lamonts. I think a decade may have been saved in my own research of my family, as I have gone over that reference many times in the past. Having said that, in all fairness, "We see further now as we stand on the shoulders of giants". I am collecting resourses as I go about things and hope to be able to offer more insight given time. Rob's work provides a stable foundation for all further research. All the best! Grant.
Grant South1

Post by Grant South1 »

Dear John, Wonderful that we found records on Lismore! All the best! Grant.