The surname Logan

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Andrew Lancaster4

The surname Logan

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

I wonder if Grant or anyone else has an explanation about why two MacLea families would have a high resolution 67 marker match with some Logans. ...data is starting to build up. I also note a continuing close match with a Young family claiming to trace back to the Lamonts of Knockdow. Regards Andrew
Bachuil

The surname Logan

Post by Bachuil »

Andrew, Saw this site http://www.clanlogansociety.com/our_history.html which says "DNA research into Logan lines which claim a Highland origin have a remarkable similarity to the few clans which claim descent from the Scotti, the founders of the first Scottish Kingdom of Dal Riada around 450 CE. It is from this evidence that we can see a very ancient Celtic blood line, at least for the Highland Logans." Regards Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Andrew Lancaster4

The surname Logan

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Yes, this was not the first match of course, but it what we now have is a 67 marker version of the matches we've already seen for some time, along with names like Campbell, McDonald, Black, Turner, Hunt, McGregor, Brewer etc. Regards Andrew
Grant South1

The surname Logan

Post by Grant South1 »

Hello, Looking at what I have at home- Logan is a simple alias for the small Highland clan of MacLennan. The name is derived from MacGille Finnan or the followers of St Finnan. It seems the McLennans were at one stage the custodians of St Finnan's bell. St Finnan's Isle is found at Loch Shiel. Interesting to see matches at a high resolution, it would indicate that the sacral lineages were connected. All the best! Grant.
Bill McLean

The surname Logan

Post by Bill McLean »

More information.
Frank Logan

The surname Logan

Post by Frank Logan »

The head of our DNA research project has seen the numbers that have come from the Maclennan project, and there is little similarity to anything that we have. The referance to the Scotti, comes from the closeness of our numbers to all of the Clans who claim the distinction of being old.. ie. MacDonald. The MacDonald Clan have came up with a theoretical DNA profile of Colla Uais, the father of Dal Riada. The Highland Logan profiles are close to this model and that of the older Highland clans. As to the Maclennan's, I have added an artical written for the Clan Logan Newsletter. MacLennan Who? What Clan do you belong to? Many Logan