Early Livingstons of Mull island

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Bob Turcott

1779 Livingstone Duslea along with others of Agryll

Post by Bob Turcott »

Don, Here are some approx d.o.b.s from 1779 extract, looks like this Duslea was born about 1709 on page 111. I am sure there will be more clues that come to light as my study continues in developing my ancestral line and thank you for acknowledging my work!!!! Surname Forename Approx. Dob Page > Livingston John 1754 111 > > No Levingston > > Surname Forename Approx. Dob Page > Livingstone Alexander 1768 92 > Livingstone Angus 1717 92 > Livingstone Angus 1775 81 > Livingstone Charles 1765 92 > Livingstone Colin 1763 82 > Livingstone Donald 1762 83 > Livingstone Donald 1777 81 > Livingstone Donald 1778 93 > Livingstone Duffice 1742 93 > Livingstone Duncan 1762 112 > Livingstone Duslea 1709 111 > Livingstone Hugh 1727 82 > Livingstone Hugh 1745 91 > Livingstone Hugh 1777 75 > Livingstone John 1737 75 > Livingstone John 1760 82 > Livingstone John 1771 93 > Livingstone Neil 1739 81 > Livingstone Neil 1761 86 > Livingstone Ronald 1773 82 There is also a nice paper that is a link from the late Rob Livingston of CA website, about Duslea and its variants the url I forgel but it awas something like sbc. global.net.1488? I was an incredible paper, but I dont think Rob wrote the paper. I can try to find it tonight, I that Young Bachuil has writings on this subject as well.
Canadian Livingstone

1779 Livingstone Duslea along with others of Agryll

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Bob, Yes indeed Rob and Niall from the Livingstones and a MacLea from a few years back have located most of the earliest examples of Maconleas/MacLeas in Argyll, Scotland records. No doubt you have seen Niall's detailed information regarding the origin of the name from MacDunsliebhe to MacDunslea to Maconlea to MacLea to Livingstone over the course of a few centuries. In addition to the 1779 records you have gone through, some of the baptism and marriage records in our Argyll area have survived. Some but not all date from before 1800. I suspect your looking for Mull Livingstones. Rob copied alot of these Livingstone records I think including some from Mull. My ancestor is often said to have come from Mull simply because he travelled to British North America with ALexander McLean aboard a ship with a large number of MacLeans all of whom originated from
Canadian Livingstone

Livingstone Duslea

Hi Kyle, I found that Uncle Miles married, but there was no information on any subsequent descendants in B.C., much to my regret. regards Donald
Bob Turcott

Post by Bob Turcott »

I
Ian Phillips

Post by Ian Phillips »

Don't know if this helps but I think this is your family in the 1841 census 1841 Iona District : 3
Roberta Ann

Livingstone Duslea

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; I was interested in your response; re: Duslea Levingston b. 1709. The census of 1716 shows that John Levingston
Canadian Livingstone

Livingstone Duslea

Hi Roberta, I forgot about him. Way back when I saw that name in the Mull 1779 List. Very interesting name since Duslea or Dunslea is the spelling of name before McLea and Maconlea and of course before Livingstone or Livingston. There were a lot of variations in the 1600's Dunsleeve,Dunslee Dunslea probably even Duslea. Uniform spelling did not seem to be a priority among our people and I suppose it mattered not all that much since many people were probably able to read or write in the 1500's or 1600's. Even earlier than that Dunslee was Dunsliebhe or McDhunsliebe. By the 18th century Dunslea had pretty much been dropped for Maconlea or McLea. A interesting causality list prepared for Bonnie Prince Charlie by Capt Charles Stewart of the Appin Regiment circa 1746 records a list of clans in the Appin Regiment which suffered casualites and our clan is recorded for Bonnie Prince Charlie as Mclea. Quite likely Duslea Livingstone was Duslea or Dunslea Maclea or Macolea when he was born in 1709. His name Duslea Livingstone is itself to me a curious bridge between our ancient clan roots and our tranformation in the later 1700's to highland Clan Livingstone. I have also pointed out that our clan must of had a strong and unified clan structure in Western Argyll and that was still strong in the years following the defeat of our Bonnie Prince Charlie by the Duke of Cumberland in 1746. The fact that almost all highland McLeas/Maconleas changed their name to Livingstone/Livingston by the late 1750's or late 1760's suggests that the Chief/Baron at the time on the Isle of Lismore was in firm control of his people and had a united and well organized clan heirarchy to carry out his instructions and orders regarding the name change. I am curious about the Mull Livingstouns from 1719 and it is a curious thing that these Mull residents in the early 1700's are recorded as Livingstons. While some lowland Livingstons may have settled in the south on the Island of Islay in the 1500's or 1600's I am puzzled who these Livingstons were or if infact some highland Macleas were using the name Livingstons before 1700 as some have suggested. regards, DOnald
Roberta Ann

Livingstone Duslea

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the early days on Mull. I checked for Levingstons names from 1634 - 1710 and found none.
Canadian Livingstone

Livingstone Duslea

Hi Roberta, Our Livingston families may perhaps be related in some way. I will possibly know by the end of July. Ours Livingstons are on a preliminary 12 marker test a distance of one which suggest a possibility of sharing a same ancestor sometime in the past millenia. But of course the 67 marker results when they come in will hopefully be more precise and I can be more certain of the results. Historically over the last 1000 years I would assume that my McLea Livingstone ancestors would connect will a family that has a connection with Morvern or neighbouring Mull. Only time will tell if DNA matches confirm that. I dont honestly expect to find out what I am trying to find out until more Livingtons whose ancestors originated from Western Argyll participate in the project. That could be a few years. regards, DOnald regards, Donald