Napoleonic veteran-John Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

I was told my GGG Grandfather, John Livingstone,b.1784-1786 was a veteran of the Napoleonic War. Is there anybody who could give me some direction in finding this information?  Would appreciate any help you might offer. Regards Jewel Brown
James Allen

Post by James Allen »

Jewel, I don't know if this will be of any help to you, but I note that there is a John Livingstone of the "104th Regiment of Foot" who was awarded a pension abroad 21 Aug 1817 [Source: British Army Pensioners Abroad, 1772-1899, by Norman K. Crowder). The military record source in Kew, London is "WO 120, vol. 35, page 278". The 104th was stationed in Nova Scotia at one time and many of the pensioners in that unit retired there. You would have to get someone who does research in London to look up the military record for this John Livingston. He is the only John Livingston listed in Crowder's book of Army pensioners abroad. The National Archives in Ottawa can give you a list of researchers who search for a fee. But I would suggest that you first contact the Public Records Office in Nova Scotia (or a genealogical society) to see if they have further information about him. I came across this John Livingstone during my searches for my 4th G-grandfather because this John Livingston was stationed in Quebec City for a short time before retiring. Good luck, Jim.
James Allen

Post by James Allen »

Jewel, I found my research from London records concerning the John Livingston of the 104th. He could not be your 3rd G-grandfather because he was stationed in Frederickton in 1805. He was 44 when pensioned in 1817. Sorry for trying to make a "fit". Jim
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Jim, I appreciate the effort anyway. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Jewel