Miles Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Lee Livingston

Miles Livingstone

Post by Lee Livingston »

Regards your post on 20 Jan 2005.
Bachuil

Lee Livingstone

Post by Bachuil »

Dear Lee, You should have had an email message asking you to verify your email address.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Hector McLean

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I am not too well informed on the McLeans that settled at Red River, but will tell you what I know. Lord Selkirk wanted a settler of some social pretention at his Red River settlement and inticed Alexander McLean with the promise of 10,000 acres and 12 Merino sheep. Alexander McLean, his family, a servant and bagpiper player Hector McDonald and number of McLeans originating from Northern Mull took a schooner from Tobermory, Mull to Sligo, Ireland in June of 1812 where the Hudson's Bay Vessel "Robert Taylor" was waiting to take them and other Highland and Irish settlers to the Hudson's Bay port at York Factory in British North America. Aboard this vessel was my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone a native of Morvern or Lismore, an older brother Donald Livingstone Junior and a younger cousin Donald Livingstone son of Neil Livingstone who before the voyage were residing at or
Canadian Livingstone

Hector McLean

In 1811 a list was compiled that included settlers and servants from Mull many I presume went to the Red River Settlement in 1812. Included in this list is a Hector McLean age 28 settler from Cambus Kilfinichen Parish his mother Margaret McInnis and other family members. Beside his name is Catharine McGilverary age 20 of Camberon Moy in Torsay Parish. She is recorded as the daughter of laborer Archibald McGilverary age 45 and his wife Mary McLean age 40. Also on the list is their Ann McGilverary age 22 a settler aboard the "RObert Taylor" who we know married Miles Livingstone's cousin Donald Livingston (1791-1876) after they arrived at the Hudson Bay port of York Factory in 1812. I don't know if this is your Hector and Catharine on this 1811 list, but it may be. Whether they married shortly before or after arriving I am not certain. From looking again at the list sent to Lord Selkirk by Owen Kenevy in Sept of 1812 it appears that Alexander McLean, his wife and a maid were one group of settlers and a second group of McLean relatives travelling with them were the widow Margaret (McInnes) McLean age 45 and her children Hector, Mary, Alexander, John and Hugh. I assume the second group have some connection to the elder Alexander McLean, but I don't anything about that at this point.
Charlene

Hector McLean

Post by Charlene »

Elizabeth, The St. John's (Anglican) Cathedral baptismal records (1813-1828) include some early Red River area records in the preface. The record I saw was very blurry but it looked like a baptism occurred on 25 June 1813 for Mary, daughter of Hector and Catherine McLean/Red River Settlement/Settler. Baptism apparently performed by Miles McDonell. Since the copy was so poor, I think you should confirm this entry by contacting the Public Archives of Manitoba in Winnipeg if it is of interest to you. Charlene http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cfdun/hectornav.htm
Canadian Livingstone

Hector McLean

It may be that the schooner that picked up the McLeans at Tobermory, Mull in June of 1812 was the schooner "Staffa" that took Miles Livingstone and his wife Janet to Sligo, Ireland to meet up with the Hudson's Bay Company vessel "Robert Taylor" waiting to the second group Lord Selkirk's settlers to the Hudson's Bay Company port of York Factory. I would assume that it was Lord Selkirk that chartered this schooner or one of his agents in the highlands. I was ignorant of the fact until recently that Staffa is the name of an Island in the vicinity of Mull. I am not certain how many ports the schooner stopped at but we know that the McLeans were picked up at Tobermory and the Livingstones Miles, his wife Janet, Donald Livingstone JR. and Mile's young cousin Donald Livingstone (1791-1876)at Bowmore on the Isle of Islay where these Morvern Livingstones had lived for a number of years. Slowly but surely learning a little more of about those difficult years for Miles and his family at the Red River Settlement. Recently located a reference in settlement surveyor Peter Fidler's journal in September of 1814 to the construction of Miles Livingstone's house along the Red River at Douglas Point where the City of Winnipeg, Canada is today located. Mile's house was just a little south of Alexander McLean's house. Miles Livingstone's home was burned to ground in June of 1812 along most of the other settlement buildings after all the settlers had been forced to leave the settlement by Hudson's Bay Company rivals and Lord Selkirk's enemies, the North West Company. Some
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Most of the info I passed on regarding Hector McLean since your message relates in a general sense to the McLeans and might be some interest. Yes I knew that Hugh's mother was a widow or at least it would seem so from Owen Kenevy's list that he sent to Lord Selkirk in September of 1812 a couple of weeks after the McLean's Livingstones and other of the second group of Selkirk Settlers had arrived at York Factory on Hudsons Bay, British North America. I would be interested learning more about the McLeans in the early years of the REd RIver Settlement.
Canadian Livingstone

Miles Livingstone

Sorry I'm not a descendant of Donald Livingstone (1791-1876) the Red River Settler who eventually settled in Iowa by 1840 with his brothers. He was a cousin who as a young man went along with my ancestor Miles and his brother Donald Livingstone Jr to British Northe America.There are however others out there who are doing family research on the Iowa Livingstones who known about the various descendants of this Donald and his brothers that later joined him. Hope your making some progress on your research since you last posted your message. Just to update information and correct an earlier error
Rod MacQuarrie

Hector McLean

Post by Rod MacQuarrie »

Hi Elizabeth Hector McLean, sadly, died at Red River of an outbreak of disease during July of 1813. (Selkirk Papers, Miles Macdonell to Selkirk, July 17, 1813, Vol. 3, p. 790.) Details of his burial are not recorded.
Jerry

Miles Livingstone

Post by Jerry »

Donald, most of this was copied from "The History Of Deleware County, Iowa"