What exactly is Highland Clan McLea?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kari Livingston

Post by Kari Livingston »

I may very well start looking at Argyll immigration records to see if they may provide me with clues.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Niall, A very interesting and thoughtful response. Much to digest. Regarding what you said about Clan Carmichael, interesting that an early account of the Isle of Lismore refers to Gillemichaels later known as Carmichaels as having been abbots or bishops on the Island sometime prior to the 1500's. No doubt our ancestor Maelmoire in there somewhere. regards Donald
Jill Richmond1

Post by Jill Richmond1 »

Hi there David and Donald, Thank you for replying to my posting. To answer David's question I live in Galloway in South West Scotland - a beautiful but relatively unknown part of Scotland as far as visitors are concerned. However I am not a Gallovidian. My forebears were undoubtedly Highland Livingstons. So far my family goes back to 1785 when my 3times Great Grandparents registered the baptism of a daughter at Bardrishaig on the Isle of Luing. Thereafter they moved on to Craignish on the mainland, and my 2times Great Grandfather was born there in 1791. The family remained in Craignish as tenant farmers for quite some time moving on to Crarae on the shores of Loch Fyne some time in the 1850s. In the mid 1860s my Great Grandfather, who by this time was married with two young children, moved with his family to Govan. My Grandfather, Archibald, was born there in 1869. Archie became a doctor and subsequently moved to Newcastle-upon Tyne, and I was born there, so I am a Geordie by birth. My family history is really a story that has been repeated in different ways thousands of times. It is all about economic necessity and the search for jobs. Now for something just a little different: I have recently returned from a holiday in the Highlands during which we spent three days in Argyll and paid an all too brief visit to Lismore. We were given a lift down the island by a kind Liosach, who obviously took pity on three elderly people (my husband, my cousin and myself) setting out from the ferry. She kindly took us down to the new Comann Eachdraidh Lios Mor (the Lismore Historical Society building). If any members of the Forum are visiting Lismore, do go and see it. It is a lovely building and houses a fascinating exhibition about the history and pre-history of the island. Good luck David with your searches. I look forward to hearing of any future discoveries you make regarding your Livingston line. Regards, Jill
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello there David and Donald, Thank you for replying to my posting. I am sorry to have been a bit tardy in replying to your emails but there was a glitch in the system somewhere, but all seems well now. To answer David's question I live in Galloway in South West Scotland - a beautiful but relatively unknown part of Scotland as far as visitors are concerned. However I am not a Gallovidian. My forebears were undoubtedly highland Livingstons. My family tree currently goes back to 1785 when my 3times great grandparents registered the baptism of a daughter at Bardrishaig, Isle of Luing. Thereafter they moved on to Craignish on the mainland and my 2times great grandfather was born there in 1791. The family remained in Craignish for around seventy years, moving to Crarae on the shores of Loch Fyne some time in the 1850s. In the mid 1860s my great grandfather, who by this time was married with two young children, moved with his family to Govan and my grandfather, Archibald, was born there in 1869. Archie became a doctor and subsequently moved to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and I was born there. So I am basically a Geordie by birth and a Scot by descent. My family history since the eighteenth century is really a story
Jill Richmond
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hi Niall In my look at the Angus Livingstones, which I guess is lowland, I eventually came to some surprising conclusions: 1. A large % of the families there in the beginning of the 19th century had dissappeared by the end. 2. Many or perhaps most modern Angus Livingstons appear to have Irish ancestry (which presumably also goes back to Scotland). 3. America? Australia? Not necessarily. In some cases I have tried to follow up, disappeared families turn up in England or even Wales. 4. Going back in time (this is less surprising) many families were from more highlandish areas. For example in Dundee, many families came from Strathmore, moving from agricultural land to a growing city. A similar thing happened all over Britain - my Westmorland ancestors were all in Manchester at the time they emmigrated. Best Regards Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Jill, Isle of Luing where your ancestors lived looks like another beautiful highland destination. Great to have another Argyll Scot amongst us. Sorry to hear you missed out seeing the Baron. Hopefully next time. I was diagnosed yesterday with a potentially life threating blood clot so I dont know if ever will be able to visit my beloved Island of Lismore and visit with our Baron and family, but I am encouraging Dr. Livingstone's kin here to make the trip a priority in the not too distant future. Our Canadian dollar is almost on par with the U.S. or at least probably soon to be which is great for travelling. The downside of all this is that while Canada's economy appears strong and the County is popular with investors we are loosing financial control of our Country. A record 600 Canadian Companies were bought in 2006 by foreign investors and this continues largely unhindered. Pretty soon there won't be any Canadian owned businesses left. Our foreign ownership laws have been lax for years and our politicians and the bussiness community don't seem to be too concerned. Anyways I ramble. regards Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Very sorry to hear of your blood clot, Donald, my prayers are with you!
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

So sorry to hear Donald that you have been diagnosed with having a blood clot. I can sympathise with you as I was diagnosed as having a deep vein thrombosis when when I fractured the lower part of my knee some years ago and am no longer allowed to fly long-haul as a result. So you see as well as being Livingstons we have blood clots in common as well! Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill, Funny you should mentioned Livingstone related health problems, my late cousin William Livingstone Clink who some years now, first contacted the Baron regarding our ancestor Miles, was of the oppinion that his own precondition to strokes and that of his family was connected to our Livingstone ancestors eating large amounts of lamb. He actually did some heavy duty medical research on this and discussed his research with some people in the medical field. I have all the details but it was quite convinced that his Livingstone ancestors (he was descended from two Livingstone families in both Mull and Movern) contributed to his poor health. So I find it interesting that others are making a link to their health. For my part I really don't know one way or another if the Livingstone's lamb is the culprit or not. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi there Donald, It is interesting that your family have suffered from quite a high incidence of cardiovascular disease. So has mine in the past, but of course as well as hereditary factors there are other in puts as well eg. smoking. In my case my DVT was caused by my fractured leg - it is not uncommon in such cases and I have been okay ever since. I do wish you well and hope that you will soon be better. Regards, Jill
Jill Richmond