Livingstones of Inverness County, Nova Scotia

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Ulva

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

We know for certain that Dr. David Livingstone's grandfather lived at Ulva and that his father Neil Livingstone was born there in 1788. A letter from 1792 indicates that Dr. LIvingstone's grandfather and family left the small farm at Ulva in 1792 for Lowland Scotland where the grandfather found work at a Cotton Mill in Blantyre.
Canadian Livingstone

Ulva

As an update to my last note it is interesting that recorded in our Kilninian and Kilmore Parish records for the Children of Neil Livingstone and Mary Morrison someone has recorded for the oldest children Mary and John that they were baptised in 1776 and 1777 at Lettermore. It is important to note that Lettermore is in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish or at Mull at all but in the Ballachulish area ow Western Argyll. Was the Lettermore information copied from the original Kilninian and Kilmore Parish register or was this information added to another family baptism list. I dont know. A study of the original Kilninian and Kilmore Parish register would soon tell us what baptismal info for the Children of Neil Livingstone and Mary Morrison was included in the copy of the original register held by the parish. And if this info is correct does it in anyway link this Livingston family to Ballachulish, Letermore and the some of the folklore surrounding Lettermore and Ballachulish? And did one of Dr. Livingstone's ancestors living around Lettermore or Ballachulish join the Appin REgiment of neighbouring Stewarts of Appin and die at Culloden? regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Further comment to your original note. Have been at long last putting together a chronological list of original Livingstone settlers to Canada. As far as east coast Canada, Nova Scotia goes the focus for Highland Livingstones immigrants was to settle in family groups at Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. By the early 1800's there were several Livingstone families largely originating from Mull/Movern with Appin and Fort William also mentioned that I have listed. Some are apparently related according to family accounts. Not surprising in Cape Breton one will come across a Livingstone's Cove or Livingstone's Point. While Cape Breton, Nova Scotia was largely the focal point for Highland Livingstone settlement, Lord Selkirk several years prior to his Red River Settlement in Western Canada, had acquired land in what is today Prince Edward Island in the early 1800's and some Livingstones were among the Highland families that took up settlement on Selkirks land in Charlotte Parish, Queens County, PEI
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I have to agree with Andrew's comment in the other thread (DNA project)--this work of yours, combined with the DNA data, is going to be invaluable at putting together our history.
Suzanne Livingstone

Post by Suzanne Livingstone »

Thats somewhat funny Kyle that you should say the Canadians kept fairly good records of their ancestry.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Well, Suzanne, I certainly don't mean all of the Canadian Livingstones, but it certainly seems like some were very thorough!
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Suzanne, We arent completely in the dark regarding at least in regards to your pioneer Ontario Livingston ancestors William Livingston and his wife Isabella Bremner. The internet indicates that a few people have undertaken research on Bremners and William Livingston who came to Lanark Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada in the year 1821. If the available research is correct William Livingston was born or baptised on the 6th January 1798 in the Port of Monteith, Perthshire County, scotland. He was the son of Neil Livingston and Margaret Woodhouse. I assume this information was sourced from Parish records. I think this might be Kilmadock Parish where the Bremners I believe came from. The important piece of info on your family that ties in the earlier info is that the marriage apparently took place also at the Port of Monteith, Kilmardock Parish? April 10, 1821. If this info is infact correct and was sourced from the old Parish books, then one should be able to try and go through these parish records and try and connect the dots and trace the family before Neil Livingston and Margaret Woodhouse. For my notes I have am making reference of the fact that we have William Livingston at Con. 8 Lot 9 in Lanark Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada circa 1821-? Then before 1851 William Livingston and family are farming Con. 6 Lot 7 Grattan Township, Renfrew County. When I am well enough to do so I can check the Deed Index and Deeds to determine when precisely the family left Lanark County for Renfrew County, Upper Canada (Ontario, Canada). Presumingly in the 1840's. Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Suzanne Livingstone

Post by Suzanne Livingstone »

Thanks Donald.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Suzanne, Locating your ancestors is not always easy. I would not give up on Perthshire County quite yet. One problem you may find and I have found is that William's family may have been living in a neighbouring Parish to his wife's family and thus creates a difficulty locating kin. The DNA project will certainly help find any Livingstons that are descended from the same ancestor both ancient and more near, but going with that and establishing a detailed family connection can still be a bit of a challenge and alot of work. I am working on a list of Canadian Pioneer Livingstones prior to 1840. Still a work in progress but I will pass it on to you and kyle in the not too distant future. Included of course is your ancestor William Livingston and the other Livingstons that settled in Lanark County, Upper Canada in 1821. Perhaps they were related. Hopefully someday I can get to the archives I find out some more about the Lanark County Livingstons. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Suzanne, Locating your ancestors is not always easy. I would not give up on Perthshire County quite yet. One problem you may find and I have found is that William's family may have been living in a neighbouring Parish to his wife's family and thus creates a difficulty locating kin. The DNA project will certainly help find any Livingstons that are descended from the same ancestor both ancient and more near, but going with that and establishing a detailed family connection can still be a bit of a challenge and alot of work. I am working on a list of Canadian Pioneer Livingstones prior to 1840. Still a work in progress but I will pass it on to you and kyle in the not too distant future. Included of course is your ancestor William Livingston and the other Livingstons that settled in Lanark County, Upper Canada in 1821. Perhaps they were related. Hopefully someday I can get to the archives I find out some more about the Lanark County Livingstons. regards, Donald