Duncan Livingstone of Ohio Rediscovered

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Baron, And it also stated your Bachuil ancestors are believed to also have originated from Achnacree Livingstones (Maconleas). The source of the late 19th century biography of Duncan Livingstone (1850-1910) of Ohio is likely Duncan himself and in turn Duncan as he states learned much about his Morvern Livingstones including no doubt the Achnacree, Benderloch connection from the niece of Donald Livingston Mrs Sarah Livingstone Burke who live with Duncan's family in Scioto COunty, Ohio. I cant say whether the 1600 date for Savary Livingstone arriving from Achnacee is accurate but what is interesting it that it appears to be what old Donald Livingstone and his brother Ewen understood to be correct. Regretably the Morvern Parish record do not begin before the early 1800's, but it would seem from Jewel found and the 1896 biography that some interesting details can be pieced together about this family. The late Robert Livingstone of the Achnacree Livingstones that resembled your great-grandfather and Dr. David Livingstone according to Alexander Carmichael in his 1909 article in the Celtic Review is almost certainly the son or grandson of the famous Donald Livingstone of Morvern whom Duncan Livingstone mentions in his 1896 Article in the Celtic review as the son of this Donald Livingstone. I located a Robert Livingston and his sister Ann at Savary Farm in the 1851 Scottish Census and this is almost certainly the Robert Livingston they are referring to or his son. I am hoping that someone can clarify if this Robert truly is a son of Donald Livingstone. As he was born in 1786 I had some doubts as old Donald would have been in his late 50's at the time of his birth and into his 60's at the time of Robert's sister's Ann's birth. Anyways perhaps I will able to figure this all out. I dont think I can emphasise enough how much I appreciate Jewel Brown and her cousin Roberta's help on this one. I was hoping I would find something in the census records eventually on this Duncan Livingstone of Ohio, but the information that Jewel found goes way beyond my wildest expectations and gives us some valued insights on this Morvern family. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Indeed there is potential with Jewel's research to take it to the next step and try to locate Ohio Livingstones connected to Donald's brother Ewen. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I continue to be amazed!
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Unfortunately, the 1850 census doesn't state the relationship of the people listed. So what is stated is John Livingston age77 farmer, value of
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Yes I thought the picture should be seen also. I had e-mailed the 4 pages includeing the picture to Kyle asking him to pass it along to you Donald, maybe he hasn't done it yet.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, It may not say on the census whether they were brother or sister. The 1851 Scottish census includes information on the relation of those in the census information which is fantastic. You should however check with Roberta because she has found Parish baptismal or birth information from Lismore in which as John Livingstone born 1775 and a Mary Livingstone born 1772 are listed I think it was off the top of my head. I cant say for certain she has the right ones as we would have thought them baptised or born at Morvern. But is possible as in the probable case of my ancestor Miles Livingston that were at both Morvern and Lismore during the period of the 1770's. I noticed that the parents of the Miles Livingston on Lismore did not stay at one settlement but moved to another on the Island. Perhaps they moved from Morvern to Lismore and from Lismore to the Isle of Islay where he left for British North America in the Summer of 1812. regards, Donald
Jewel Brown

Post by Jewel Brown »

Yes I thought the picture should be seen also. I had e-mailed the 4 pages includeing the picture to Kyle asking him to pass it along to you Donald, maybe he hasn't done it yet.
Lea Astrid Smits

Post by Lea Astrid Smits »

Hiya from Germany. Iam looking for an old friend.His name is Duncan Livingstone, he was at the arma in germany (Iserlohn) in 1983-92. I think. He went back with his wife Heike Freise and his kids Tanja and Leanne.I want to know if you can help me to find back.He went back to scotland.But i dont know where.Hope you can help to find them back.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi Lea, It's always possible he may stop in to the Forum...
Daryl Povey

Robert & Ann LIVINGSTONE, Savary Farm, 1851

Post by Daryl Povey »

Hello Donald I am very interested in your comment "I located a Robert Livingston and his sister Ann at Savary Farm in the 1851 Scottish Census". My gt grandmother, Anne LIVINGSTONE b. ca 1822, Savary, daughter of Adam LIVINGSTONE (Miller) and Peggy McDONALD had a brother Robert b. 1825, Savary, Morven. I do not know what became of this Robert as his sister Anne emigrated to Australia as a widow ROBERTSON in 1854 where she married my gt grandfather Joseph POVEY. The details about Anne's parents came from her 1855 marriage certificate in Australia. I would be very interested in the 1851 Census details on this Robert & Ann LIVINGSTON. Regards Daryl Povey