Duncan Livingstone of Ohio Rediscovered

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Robert & Ann LIVINGSTONE, Savary Farm, 1851

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Daryll, How are things going in Australia these days? Nice to hear from you again. I will have to refresh my memory a bit on this one and then I will go and find that census record for you. Its great that these old forum postings are easy to access as I find folks asking about various topics we have been researching in the past. I will get on this right away. By the way Daryll if you have cousins who are Livingstons you might want to get them to consider the Maclea Livingstone DNA project. At one Morvern Livingstone descendant has been recently tested as well as other Livingstones whose ancestry probably is connected to Macleas/Livingstones that lived at one time another the Mull/Morvern area of Western Argyll. I recall you telling me that your ancestor was the Livingstone miller at Savary and that there was good chance of your family connection with the famous Donald Livingstone (1728-1816). No doubt you will find the info on Ohio USA historian Duncan Livingston interesting as he has first hand accounts from two elderly nieces of the famous old Donald Livingstone from the Battle of Culloden. They like Duncan's family emigrated to the States from Morvern in the 1800's. From these nieces he learned that Donald had a brother Angus that was killed at Culloden. I believe that Hugh that is living near him at Savary in the 1779 Argyll tenants list is also a brother. I think they both had several sons as I recall according to the 1779 listing so with any luck there should a be a few Livingstone descendants of Donald and Hugh out there somewhere in the world. Sounds like you are probably one. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Daryll, Sorry to say it is a different Robert and Ann. In the 1851 census at Savary Farm, Morvern there is a pauper farmer Robert Livingston age 65 and his Ann age 60. I will try and check the 1841 Census for your kin. regards, DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Daryll, While I could only find a Robert Livingston born in 1786 a pauper farmer at Savary Farm in 1851, I did manage to find one other Robert Livingston born 1826 a 15 year old agricultural laborer living with the family of Hugh and Mary Cameron at Savary in the 1841 Census if that is any help to you. Perhaps this younger Robert does not show up in the 1851 Census because he left Morvern in the 1840's. I cant really say for certain. Any chance this Robert born abt. 1826 is the Robert you are looking for? Did not find Ann in the 1841 or 1851 Census or her father Adam Livingston at Savary in either of these census records. THese again were the only Robert Livingston or Livingstones I could find that lived at Savary, Morvern. Hope this helps. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Daryll, The name RObert Livingston in your family is pretty good clue that you are almost certainly connected as kin in someway to the famous Donald Livingston or his brother. Your ancestor's brother Robert must have been named after the older Robert b. 1786 whom the author mentioned and who I think likely is the grandson of Donald Livingston rather than the son due to his age. This old Robert is one I found in the 1851 Census but there must a family connection almost certainly between the two Roberts. I would say this whole Robert thing and the old Celtic Monthly article in which Duncan Livingston talked about Donald, Angus and Ewen (Hugh) Livingston was very helpful to me also. I found famous old Donald and a Hugh in the 1779 Argyll tenants list and this article confirmed that old Donald did infact have a brother named Hugh (Ewen) at Savary and introduced to a brother Angus killed at Culloden that I knew nothing about. Suffice to say the author Duncan Livingston was also probably related to you as were these two old neices of old Donald he talked with as a youth in Ohio. Hope this all of some help to research. Keep us posted as to your Livingstone research.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Daryll, I may have mentioned long ago when I was last in touch with you that my ancestor Miles Livingston b.1775 is also according to Miles a native of Morvern. Of which family or which village I have no way of knowing. He could have been born at Savary where some of the McINnes family went by the name of Miles or farther up the coast of Morvern. I am by no means certain. My suspicions are that Miles is also from Savary as our your family, but who knows. To further complicate things there are records not only for Miles born at Morvern but also for a Myles Livingston baptised in 1775 on the Island of Lismmore. Were there two Miles Livingstons born in 1775, one at Morvern Parish and one in Lismore Parish. Or was my ancestor actually born on the Isle of Lismore and Miles was somehow mistaken at the time of his marriage. I am not certain that even the results of the DNA test will sort this out regretably, though it will tell us whether or not Mile is related in some way to the Barons of Bachuil that resided on the Island of Lismore for centuries. I will keep you posted on the results when they come in. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Daryl; I was very happy to see you on the forum.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Daryl; There is a Robert Livingston listed in the Elgin County Marriages--1853 to 1873. I only mention this because you said Ann was married to a Robertson. Robert Livingston, Malahide; married Lousia Warren of Malahide March 16, 1856. Witnesses: