Mull River, Cape Breton Livingston Family Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

This is one branch of the old Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia Livingston family descended from John Livingstone abt.1775-1840 and his wife Catharine (Mary)? Campbell who settled at Mull River also known as South East Mabou by abt. 1824. It is believed the family were in PEI a few years before that and left Mull, Argyllshire, Scotland for PEI around 1821. This family information is extracted from the Mull River Livingstone genealogy research of Dr. James St.Clair of Mabou, Nova Scotia. Old Kate was Dr.St.Clair's Aunt and he has been researching the Livingstones and other Cape Breton families for the last 50 years and has published histories of the early Cape Breton families. John Livingstone b.abt.1775 d.abt.1840 m. Catharine or Mary Campbell daughter of Hugh Campbell and Grace McColl of Teang, Mull,Argyll, Scotland Children: 1.John b.circa 1800 died circa 1860 m. Catharine (Kate-Kitty) Livingstone of Nine Mile River,Queens County, PEI b.1808 d.1912 Livingstone Mt.,Mull River, Inverness COunty,Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. (Catharine was a sister of Ann Livingston wife of Alexander Livingston of Skye Mt.,Whycocomaugh,Inverness County,Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Catharine lived to be 104 and was known by the locals as the Witch of Mull River. ) Children of John Livingston and Catharine Livingstone (1808-1912): 1.Duncan Livingstone resided Springhill,NS married Mary McDonald of Kepoch, Antigonish County,NS 2.Mary Livingstone 1841-1921 unmarried resided Boston 3.John Livingstone 1847-1904 Thorburn,Nova Scotia married Mary Ann Livingstone (1855-1939) of Big Bras D'OR 4.Catharine Livingstone b.1847 m. Henry Monck of Dorchester, Mass. 5.Jane (Catharine Jane) 1849-1940 m.James Adams of Hillsborough who had previously been married to Catharine Livingston of Cape George,daughter of Dougald. 6.Hugh Livingstone 1851-1943 unmarried -last of this family to reside on the site at Livingston Mt. Left following death of his mother in 1812 although he and his niece still kept some cattle on the farm. 7. Flora Livingstone (1853-1922)married Dougald Adams whose son James by his first wife married her sister. 8. Ann Livingstone (1855-1920) unmarried resided in USA.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Thanks Donald This is very helpful and informative. Looks like this quashes my theory for Colin. Back to the drawing board. Nice to know this family is all accounted for. Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Nova Scotia Vital Statistics records the marriage of John Livingstone age 22, son of John Livingstone and Catherine:
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Thanks for that information. Regarding John and Catharine who were both Livingstons according to Dr.St.Clair, he was born about 1800 probably in Scotland as the information you found states, but Cape Breton Census records all indicate that Catharine was actually born in PEI. Interestingly Dr. St. Clair believes that old Kate was connected to the Nine Mile River, Queens County, PEI Livingstons and that she was born there. Ralph Livingston who sometimes contacts the forum is a descendant of a Donald Livingston of Morven the pioneer settler of the Nine Mile River Livingstons. These kind of connections may come up from time to time with the Mull and Morven Livingstones in Nova Scotia and PEI. It is nice that through the Mclea Livingstone forum we have made contact with a number of PEI and Nova Scotia Livingstone kin. I am still trying to figure out how Barry's ancestor Colin Livingston born 1809 or 1818 and a one time resident of Whycocomagh fits into this Mull River family. I have no evidence that John Livingston b.1775 and Catharine (Mary?) Campbell had a son named Colin and he does not come up in a list of Livingstons whom Dr. St. Clair thinks might be kin of John Livingstone b.1775. I am not certain how clear we are regarding the children of John Livingstone b. 1775 and Cathrarine (Mary?) Campbell beyond the John Livingston b.abt. 1800 I have mentioned. It looks like it may be difficult to prove exactly how Barry's ancestor Colin is connected to the Whycocomagh and Mull River Livingstons though his PEI obituary published in 1868 for his 1867 death clearly indicates that he is connected to the Whycocomagh family. Still Barry has located his great-greatgrandfather ANgus Livingston and has discovered that his great-great grandfather was Colin Livingston and where he lived before he died. This is a good start for him. Now he should check out the PEI deed at the Forest Hill farm and see when Colin acquired the farm and any other details of use from this deed. regards, Donalda
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Dont give up yet. Not all accounted for. We just dont know as yet how your Colin is connected to the Skye Mt. Livingstons. I thought I would be able link your Colin from Whycocomagh with Alexander Livingston of the Skye Mt. family. Must be some connection, just we havent found it. The rosetta stone for these Livingstones that will explain how Colin our piece in your family puzzle fits. Hang in there. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; as you know; sometimes when a relative fills-out a certificate of death, they could be mis-taken on details. However, Dougald Adams did sign as the informant in the death of Mary livingstone, age 87. Roberta
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

We haven't looked at the Colin Livingstone that was the son of Malcolm, Neil Livingstone's brother. I found a website, but there is little information about this Colin. Does anyone have info about this Colin? Is everyone aware of this Colin? Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

What about this Colin? It says he went to PEI in 1819. My Colin would be born in 1819. The names of his siblings are all familiar in my ancestor's names. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I have been looking at another angle. I found this posting. Looks like it is James St. Clair that made the post. http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1207087189 Now in Whycocomagh there is one family of Livingston's in 1881, and a widower by the name of Alex. I searched for John Livingston on the Isle of Mull website and came up with more than one John married to a Catherine Campbell. The passengers on the Brig Adventure match up with the ages of the children except one for the John married Dec 31, 1805, if I am reading it correctly. There is an Alexander in Whycocomagh and he matches the age of the son of this John Livingston. According to the Isle of Mull webpage there youngest child was baptized in 1820, which means the Brig Adventure family would match too. I have a Colin Livingston in the family that matches my descendents birth year too. Maybe the reason this John has been missed is there is some confusion because of the duplicate names of John and Catherine. These as you know are very common in Scotland. Interesting that Alexander named his three children with the same names as the siblings of John Livingston. Is there anyway of getting some history on these Whycocomagh Livingstons? If you do a search in the 1881 census for livingston, Inverness, and Whycocomagh, this is the only family that shows in Whycocomagh. I hope this doesn't sound like rambling, but I hope you may be able to see what I'm getting at here. Now I have to see if I can trace the children. If I can find one I might get a clue if I am on the right track. I wonder if this Alexander lived on Marble Mountain? Now that would be helpful. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Oh one thing I forgot. Alexander's wife, Annie, was born on PEI. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it seems like alot of coincidences. Barry