Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, Are we actually certain that the birth or baptism record of Peter Livingston b.1797 parents Duncan Livingstone and Catharine McNab was sourced by a McLeod and not included in the original Parish records? THat is an important question that should be answered by someone who has access to the Appin area Parish records but in the mean time we have Robs collection to refer to. I dont see McLeod mentioned in the actuall 1797 entry in our birthdate collection. There is actually no mention of McLeod as a source of Peter Livingston's own birth or baptismal record on Robs collection on our website except in a subsequent list of Peter Livingston and his wife's FLory McColls Children. Unless we have access to Rob's note it almost looks to me like Peter Livingstone birth or baptismal record ie 1797 has no mention of a Macleod. Could you check that out. regards, Donald
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hi Donald,
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi Donald, If you look at http://www.clanlivingstone.com/Births_Appin.htm I was trying to say, perhaps unsuccessfully, that Angus and John, his children, do not appear in the records.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Rob stated that these Appin, Ballachulish records were " Culled from the parish records". They appear to be a collection of Livingston parish records organized in sequence by date. I agree with you that it is odd that the baptism or birth of Duncan Livingstone and Catharine McNab's child Peter Livingston in April 17 1797 at Port Appin or Apin is not listed in Scotlands People. We have to look for it in the Parish records. If it is not there why would someone deliberately insert it with other parish records that I assume are legitimate. Its just very strange and annoying and somewhat embarassing to me if that is the case. The ultimate proof will be a check of the Appin records. I can order them and have them in about three weeks, unless someone else has access to them. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

I do feel blessed to have such talented researchers checking over all of this data.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, Yes thats rings a bell. That is my great-great Uncle John Livingston. It is Bosanquet Township in Lambton County where he lived. He was a son of my ancestor Miles Livingston b. 1775 and his wife Janette. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

I haven't seen Joyce in 25-30 years, probably Grandma Phoebe's 85 birthday party in Rock Creek...tell her "hi" next time you talk with her...
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Thanks for that but Kyle has checked it out and the entry for Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab's son Peter Livingston was not there. So we will have to go to the original Appin parish register to try and sort out the mystery. I dont that the late Rob Livingston copied all of those Appin entries. The set of entries for Peter Livingston's children from Port Appin was copied by a McLeod who ever that was but there is no other credit for birth information of Peter Livingston himself stating April 17, 1797 son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab. It looks like a carefully copied list from the Appin and area Parish records for Livingstons and listed in Chronological order. It would be just my luck that one critical entry in the lot was just stuck in there by someone. I am hoping that is not the case because the 1797/1796 possible birthdate from the 1851 would be a match with this birth date with that parish birth date if I could only prove it to be part of the actuall original parish collection. How could something so simple be so difficult. regards, Donald
MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE

Post by MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE »

Virginia you can email me at
Canadian Livingstone

As a update to my original posting regarding information that Peter Livingston of Port Appin was born or baptised April 17,1797, the original Parish book states that Peter Livingston son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNa? of Port Appin was in fact christened on April 17,1796. I cant make out the final letter or letters in the mother's name but as it reaches the end of page it could be one more letter making McNab certainly a possiblity. I can read McN and what looks like an a possibly and that is about about it.There are no birth records for Peter in this parish book. A 1797 baptismal or birthdate for our Peter is absolutely incorrect in any event. The page from the old APpin Parish records clearly states he was baptised April 17, 1796. The 1851 Scottish census records Peter as being 54 years of age which if he was in his 55th year would be pretty darn close to the information in this baptismal record. regards, Donald