Scottish Emigrants to South Western Ontario in 1818

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi all; A letter signed by James McFarlane, Archibald McFarlane, James Campbell and John Carmichael dated London (U.C.) May 20, 1819. To the Emigrants who arrived at Quebec in the summer of 1818 and who came in the Jane of Greenock and the Curlew of London, from the Oarishes of Comera(Comrie), Balyhidder(Balquhidder), Weems (Weem) and Killine (Killin) in Perthshire, North Britain. Reads in part: When we parted from you at Montreal for this part of the country, we promised to inform you of the advantages we might find it to possess.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Thanks for that. Dull is a parish in central Perthshire County, in the lowlands of Scotland. The British Government started to encourage Scots from Perthshire and elsewhere in the lowlands to settle in Upper Canada at that time. A nice find. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Well, in answer to you question about the Colonial Office:
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, I have a Donald and Janet Livingstone presumed to be from Perthshire that were said to have settled early on at Beckwith Township, Lanark County, Ontario and arrived in Canada around 1818. That could be the same Donald and Janet Livingston from Perthshire as the ones you have found from around that time period. If there is any other pertinent information that would be great. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta, Is the record stating that DOnald and Janet from Dull Parish left for Quebec in 1818? Dull Parish is in central Perthshire. Ok I see it. THe Curlew with settlers from Perthshire arrived at Quebec July 21, 1818 From Dull Parish Donald and Janet Levingston and 3 children. I have that record but I never noticed Livingstons or Levingstons. There were a bunch of Livingstons who left Perthshire between 1818 and 1821 and settled in Lanark County, Ontario including Suzanne Livingston's ancestor William Livingston and his wife Isabella Bremner. Some of these families such as the Bremners and William Livingston were part of local parish emigration societies that helped weavers among others to emigrate to Upper Canada. The British Government was encouraging these Scots to settle in Lanark COunty. These Livingstons, (there were several including Donald and Janet Livingston and William Livingston and Isabella Bremner) settled in townships in Lanark County by the early 1820's in what was called the Lanark Military settlement. These Lanark County Livingstons are one of the pioneer Livingston settlers in early Upper Canada that I keeping track of for the Society. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

good morning Donald; Of course I would love to do more research on the Livingston/es who settled in Lanark County.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello again Donald; There is this book entitled "Life of Colonel Talbot and the Talbot Settlement" (Ontario, Canada) by Edward Ermatinger 1859. Between 1791 and 1794, Irish born Colonel Thomas Talbot explored the thick, mixed deciduous forest wilderness on the shores of Lake Erie with the Lieutenant-Govenor of Upper Canada, John Graves Simcoe.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Suzannes Livingston ancestors indeed orginated in the highlands. Some Livingstons did apparently live in Fort William but in terms of their early origins in the highland it is likely her earlier Maclea Livingstone ancestors lived in the traditional area of the clan at Appin, Isle of Lismore, Movern and Mull long ago. That would be why she probably is a close DNA match to your people. Yes definitely a 64 marker test if it has not been done is more exacting in its information if I understand Andrew and Kyle correctly on this. But those results certainly sound encouraging. I am interested to see Livingstons of Canadian origin tested of course because so many have ancestral roots in Western Argyll where the Chief and Dr. Livingston's ancestors lived. My understanding was that Suzannes Livingstons lived in the lowlands as did the Bremners and that her Livingstons were probably highlanders that settled in the lowlands finding work as weavers etc. as many of our highland people did. Her people could have lived in the Fort William area, but I am reasonably certain that they lived in Western Argyll with the rest of our clan before that. Fort William is not our clans area of origin. There were a few Livingstons living around Fort William apparently in the 1700's I think but were not likely there for hundreds of years. If Suzannes family DNA matches yours likely that suggests that here Livingston or should I say Maclea Livingstone ancestor was likely had ancestral roots with your highland Macleas in Mull or elsewhere in neighbouring parts of Western Argyll. I dont know how long the family lived in Perthshire, Suzanne has the information where they lived, but they were living in the same community as the in laws the Bremners in Perth County, Scotland and were part of a local Emigration society. You may have already found this information but Suzanne Livingston's ancestors William Livingston and his wife Isabella Bremner daughter of George Bremner were of the Deanston by Doune Emigration Society which was one of several Emigration societies whom were passengers aboard the David of London which left Greenock, Scotland on May 19,1821 bound for Quebec in Lower Canada. They settled in Lanark Township, Lanark County, Upper Canada in 1821 and by about 1851 they are living in Grattan Township, Renfrew County, Ontario. Suzanne has provided us with a lot of info on her Livingstons and when I go to the new archives which I am told is now reopened I will look at the land records pertaining to these Livingstons. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, I dont have the details after they arrived in 1821 but they settled in Lanark township, Lanark County and were presumingly part of what was called the Lanark Military Settlement. A lot of ex military people received grants there after the Napoleonic Wars. Hence my earlier efforts to see if any the several Livingston families that settled in Lanark Township in the early 1800's had military connections. I still do not know whether or not any did. regards, Donald