Peter Livingston of Port Appin Update

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia, Three words. Excellent find Michael. I saw the original baptismal record in the old book for Peter and it clearly was listed under the year 1797 which was marked on the top of page where the entry was. Father was Duncan and the mother was Catharine McN. I thought I saw an a but wasnt sure. Certainly I did not see McNab as the other researcher stated years earlier. The 18th century recorder ran out of page and seemed to attempt to cram it all on the edge of the page and the ink smudged or something making it unclear I think. Definitely it was Catharine McN. If it says McNichol then and the name is mentioned twice in such a way it much be correct. McNab must be an error. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Not sure what the excellent find Michael refers to but I am now wondering if anyone on the forum knows who Malcolm Abt 1737 or Kate McArthur (McArthure )descends from? You guys always have so much info stored away in your notes or in your memories....thanks...vka
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Ooops. I should have said Pat instead of Michael. Not that Michael hasnt shone brightly for his own research contributions. I was to the information that Pat sent on the 21st of June. Sorry about that. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Pat, Sorry refresh my memory if you will. What record do we have connecting Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNichol to Craignich, Lismore.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Pat, Now that we know the mother to be McNichol this changes alot as there was no Catherine McNab in the Lismore records. For one thing just a quick check reveals that sure enough Duncan Livingston and a Catharine McNichol of Fur---lachan had their son Donald baptised in 1793. So that leaves little doubt if your death record info is correct that Duncan and Catharine quite possibly originated from Lismore. I will see if anyone can make sense of the Fur--lachan. I am interested of course in the information you have regarding Duncan and Catharine at Craignich, Lismore. regards, DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Pat, Oh yes I see where you found Duncan in the early Lismore baptisms. Yes he has been considered to be a possible contender for our Duncan father of Peter Livingston. Creganich I should have said. Could be him. I will get back to you regarding this 1793 baptism of their son Donald at Furl--lachan whereever that was. I will send out an SOS to find out where that might be on the Island of Lismore. Looks like the original transcriber could not read the entry. Some of the old gaelic names are hard to read from the original parish book pages. I have the Lismore book till July I think. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Pat, Could not find this Fur---lachan. Found a Turlaggan on the Isle of Lismore but that was the closest. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Pat, As promised we will get back to you regarding Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNichol circa 1793 at Fur...lachan, Isle of Lismore according to the baptismal records. Baron Livingstone also suspects it might be Tirlaggan on the Island and is looking into it. If you could copy all the details of the death record for Peter Livingston from 1856 as in the original and include in a forum message I would greatly appreciate. I have a theory and more info I have the better to be help to you and others researching Peter Livingston. Thanks again for keeping me up to date on your research. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Name & Surname: Livingston, Peter Shoemaker, Widower When & where died with hour of death: 18th, May 1856 ,Appin (I can't make out the town..looks like Tayreblie) Sex: Male Age 58 Parents names: Duncan Livingston (deceased) Catherine Livingston Maiden name: MacNicol (deceased) Cause of death: Consumption 1 year Burial Place:Undertaker Churchyard of Appin Angus MacNicol Smith Terlaggin .....charge of funeral Signature and name of Informant or attendant: Christina McE.... Tayribbin Village (can't read it well) Nurse who attended him at the time of death. Registrar: Donald MacLeod name illegible Date of Registration: May 26, 1856 at Appin. you can email me at vkadams at cox.net I can scan the copy and email if necessary.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Virginia, Thank-you for that. McNichol of Tirlaggan was exactly what I was looking for. DId you see it. That McNichol was from Tirlaggan. Bingo. Go to the Lismore Baptisms on our Maclea Livingstone webpage and you will see that in 1793 Duncan Livingston and Catharine MacNichol had a son Donald baptised. THe transcriber of the original record could not apparently make out the name of village where the family came from and wrote down Fur---lachan or something like that. I looked at the map of Lismore on site and the only place that came remotely close was Tirlaggan. And then the information you copied from the death record that one of the McNichols was from Tirlaggan which is actually on the Isle of Lismore and not Appin. With this kind of proof there is little doubt that Peter's parents were Duncan Livingston and Catharine as we suspected and infact Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNichol instead of McNab as an earlier researcher had suggested. With the information on this death record there is little doubt. A terrific find which verifies the Lismore origins of this Port APpin family . A lucky find indeed. I am so happy for everyone researching this family that you had this kind of luck . regards, Donald