Old Parish Registers-Scots Origins

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello to All,
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel, I have found John to be a popular first name for Livingstons in Argyll in the 1700's and 1800's. In Ballachulish there were several generations of John McLeas and in the 1700's and early 1800's there was a Baron John Livingston which might have inspired others in Western Argyll to name to one of their son John. There is also some religious significance to the name John. I recently ordered the kilninian and Kilmore Parish records from Mull along with a couple of other Argyll parishes and looked for your John Livingston but came up empty sorry to say. I would not however rule out John originating from Mull just because we cant seem to find his baptismal record in the old parish books in the Mull area. Two clues at least suggest a strong possibility he was from Mull. The first one is the fact that his departure point was Tobermory in Mull, secondly the information Roberta found that he named his property in Cape Breton "Staffa". Staffa is the name of scenic island in Kilninian and Kilmore Parish and also was the name of a schooner that operated out of Tobermory I believe in the early 1800's. My ancestor Miles Livingston travelled aboard the "Staffa" with a party of McLean settlers who boarded this schooner at Tobermory and who originated from Northern Mull. So it would seem highly appropriate for your ancestor John Livingson to name his new home in Cape Breton after the scenic Island Staffa particulary if he had some connection to Mull and the area near Staffa in particular. On the other hand if he originated from some lowland county I suspect he would be less inclined to name his property after some local scenic island popular with Mull folks. Perhaps something of scenery at Low Point reminded John of Staffa. It is not likely that he lived at Staffa as my understanding is that it was largely uninhabited. Nevertheless the fact that people from Mull named a ship after the island of Staffa it would seem reasonable that a Mull colonist who settled in Cape Breton might be inclinded to name new home after this island of scenic beauty which even inspired the composer Mendelsohn to write a piece of music in the 19th century. regards, Donald
margaret

Post by margaret »

Hi Jewel, I'm looking for any records of John Livingston(e) from Inveraray or possibly Lismore.
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Margaret,
margaret

Post by margaret »

Jewel, Thank you for this! I'm sorry for the late reply - computer failure.
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Donald,
Alan Livingstone

Post by Alan Livingstone »

HI Jewel, I have found little information on a John Livingstone born around 1816 in Argyll.
Alan Livingstone

Post by Alan Livingstone »

HI, I also forgot about his father who was also called John.
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Alan,
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Allan, If you are ancestors of the Mull area, I would encourage you to consider participating in the Maclea Livingstone Societies DNA project. My Livingstone cousin whose ancestor Miles Livingston originated from neighbouring Morvern recently got involved and we have a few Livingstons I believe whose ancestors are of Mull origin in the Project. Also you may not know that one of Dr. David Livingstone's great nephews who is in the project is working with me to help verify through DNA proven family connections with the late Dr. Livingstone. You may already be involved in the Societies DNA project but I thought I would mention it as it really is worthwhile for all Livingstons, Livingstones from Mull or anywhere to participate. There are alot of good reasons to get involved in this project. regards, Donald