Duffus Levingston b.c. 1742

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Whilst perusing my papers, last evening; I found this. The Livingstones are evenly dispersed in Mull as early as the ducal census of 1779, when they are found in Creich, Shiaba and Ardtun in the Ross of Mull and in Aros, Druimfin, Achadashenaig (now called Glenaros) in the east.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Duslea connects as I say with old clan name of McDhunsliebe,Dunsleeve,Dunslee Dunslea and subsequent McLea. Duffus was apparently an English name used in Scotland and England. One possible meaning: dweller in a dove house. In the old cemetery where my ancestors are buried near Carrickfergus there is the ruins of medievil dove tower. Also Duffus is a village in Moray Scotland. In todays world to be called a Duffus is not complimentary I would suspect.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Its ok I found information and a source on that Mull Rental of 1744 which interestingly lists Duvlea Livingston at Achalabeg, Torosay, Neil Livingston at Miln,Ross and John Livingston at Arine, Morenish. Kind of challenges the notion that our rank and file