Duncan Livingston & Catharine MacNicol

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

The birth date for Duncan 1/1/1759 was taken from the Scotland's People OPR record which shows Malcolm Livingston & Kate McArthur as the parents. The Christening records are from Lismore reclaimed treasures web page.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia, Having confirmed from the Lismore Baptismal record of 1793 that as suspected Duncan and Catharine Livingston were living on Lismore prior settling at Port Appin that narrows the potential candidates for Peter Livingston's father considerably assuming that his father Duncan was born and baptised on the Island of Lismore. Certainly the results of the DNA lend futher credence to this notion. Here are the three contenders Island of Lismore Baptisms 1. Duncan Livingstone baptised 1759 Son of Malcolm Livingston and Kate McArthur of Creganich (as you mentioned) 2. Duncan Livingstone baptised 1769 Son of Myles Livingstone and Mary MacArthur of Baillegarth 3. Duncan Livingstone baptised 1771 son of Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell of Cloichlea (Donald also had a son Myles baptised in 1775 which the late Baron Alastair Livingstone once suggested could be my ancestor Miles Livingston also born in 1775. Although my ancestor Miles Livingston stated he was born at nearby Morvern he could have been mistaken regarding his birth place.) I am working on the assumption that one of these three Duncans is your ancestor. Hopefully when we can confirm the name of that village where Duncan and Catharines child Donald lived at the time of his 1793 baptism on the Isle of Lismore we can make further progress. Note that Duncan and Catharine had only one child baptised in the Lismore records perhaps indicating that they were recently married at the time of Donald's baptism. If so then Duncan might have been younger that 30 at the time of DOnalds 1793 baptism. If Duncan was born in 1759 and married before 30 we might expect find a large number of children baptised by 1793 in the Lismore records but we only find one. My best hunch would be that your Duncan is either the Duncan of Baillegarth baptised in 1769 or the Duncan of Cloichlea baptised in 1771. Not ruling out Duncan of Creganich baptised 1759 just I would think he would have married and have had a number of children baptised and born well before 1793. He would have been possibly about 34 at the time of his sons Donald's baptism in 1793 on the Island of Lismore and about 40 at the time of Peters baptism at Appin. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Virginia, I have made some inquiries with Appin experts regarding your Peter Livingston and Flory McColl and Peters parents and I have someone checking out the cemetery at Appin. Hope this is of some help to your research. regards, Donald
PatGill

Post by PatGill »

sorry to have been absent for a week or so - so much going on health and familywise.
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Thank you Donald....anxiously waiting the info...still checking in the meantime...
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Pat, Not to worry. Virginia provided me the information . It is a wonderfull thing that there is a death record for Peter Livingston with so much information in it of help to the family researchers. Glad that it was found. I regret to inform you and Virginia that my Appin contact tried but was unable to locate that stone today at the old cemetery in Appin. He did find lots of old stones for the Angus Nicol Smith family who originated on the Isle of Lismore according to one of the tombstones. I have not figured out the Smith connection to the McNichols as of yet. I will send that info on Angus Nichol Smith's family later. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

He may have been the undertaker as the heading said Undertaker or person who certified
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Yes. I thought perhaps he was a relation to Catharine. Likely the same McNichol family I think just dont know of what nature the connection was or if as you say he was just the undertaker for the Appin cemetery. It did one way or another draw attention to the fact that Catharine's McNicol family may have Lismore origins as did Duncan's family. The gentleman that went through the Appin Cemetery yesterday suggested we also check the cemetery on the Isle of Lismore although I think your record was very clear that he was laid to rest in the Appin Churchyard. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Went back to the public library today checked the old baptismal record for Peter Livingston of Port Appin and the microfilm machine gave me a sharper image when I refocuses it. With a good eye I could today clearly see McNico the rest Duncan Livingston and Catharine is clear. So there is little doubt that in the old record from 1796 that the original transcriber wrote McNicol and the col became difficult to read in part of I am looking at microfilm of the original dark at the edges
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Tynribbie where I think your ancestor Peter Livingston died is a few miles east of Port Appin accordint to my map of Western Argyllshire. regards, Donald