Beaton Institute, Colin Livingston Inquiry

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Barry; Land Index Maps - Whycocomagh - http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/land/indexmaps/116.pdf Angus Livingstone is on this.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All I should have the documents in my hands from the Archives on Monday. If there is anything anyone wants me to lookup, let me know. I know Donald you wanted me to lookup the Donald Livingston in lot 30. Ironically they called yesterday and said they were ready. The plan is to scan these documents and email them to those of you who want a copy. I have the deed from Colin's widow for the land in Forest Hill, the 1803 John Livingston from Georgetown and the transfer from John Livingston in Georgetown to John Cameron in 1806. Who would like a copy and I'll need your email address to forward them. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Barry, Thanks for that. I am hoping that we can someday check whatever land transactions exist for the Alexander Livingston property at Skye Mountain, Whycocomagh and surrounding lots. I am wondering if Colin had a separate lot or was he with Alexander at Skye mountain. Did Colin rentlease did he own the property he lived on at Whycocomagh. After his death in 1867 if he owned property at Whycocomagh would there not be some sort of record of sale or tranfer of his property in the Inverness County Cape Breton records. At some point you should take a look at that. I dont know whether Dr. St. Clair has checked for this or not but I will try and find out. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, I wonder who this Catharine is? Born about 1816. Colin was born abt. 1818. I wonder if this could be Colin Livingstone's widow? I wonder if she could be living at Lot 30 in PEI in 1891. He should check this Catharine out if has not already. I wonder if there could be a death record for this Catharine? I wonder what County in PEI Lot 30 is in ? regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Funny I just looking for the Penmore list. Thanks for that. Yes there is notion that this family is the family that settled at Mull River but the researcher did not know what we know and that is that there was a Colin Livingstone. CLearly to me the John, Alexander and COlin in the Penmore baptismal list seem the match the possible birth years of the John ALexander and COlin who lived in INverness County, Caper Breton at Mull River and Whycocmagh. THe fact that we have also a note indicating that obtained passage aboard a ship Adventurer headed to Pictou, Nova Scotia in 1821 is icing on the cake for Barrys reseach of his John Livingston Sr. Barry has now also doubly proved with an obituary with Whycocmagh Livingstone references to Colin and now a 1861 Whycocomagh Census that proved that COlin livingstone did live at Whycocomagh prior to his 1867 death in PEI. I would have to say that Barry has done an excellent job locating information on his ancestor with a little help from his Livingston friends. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Lot 30 is in Queens County.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald there is only one Colin listed.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald is this interesting or what; there is a Daniel McLea Livingston on Lot 30, age 6, 1901 Census. Angus Livingston 1901 Census age 59, Lot 30. Roberta
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald He either sold the land before moving to PEI, or his family sold it after his death. You would think there would have been a deed for the transfer somewhere. Also there should be a Donald Livingstone, either on PEI or Cape Breton. He also may have moved to Massachusetts, like alot of maritimers of that time. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta, Not to worry. Colin died in 1867 in PEI near where his two sons were living a native of whycocomagh, Inverness County according to the PEI obituary Barry was fortunate to locate. Then recently the Beaton Institute found Colin or Coleen Livingston as a householder in the 1861 Whycocomagh Census. I think that Dr. St. Clair must have not of had that record unfortunately. Do you have access to the complete 1891 record? So she lived in Lot 30 Queens County, PEI. I wonder if she is in the 1901 Census? I wonder if Barry has checked the PEI death records? SHe should be in there somewhere you would think. Who did she live with in 1891 and was she was the principal householder or was she living with someone else? Sorry for all the questions. By the way one of the Livingstons matching up with you and my cousin Lloyd Livingston (not your John Lloyd) is a descendant of a Livingston that settled in North Carolina in the late 1700's I knew about the highlanders settling in North Carolina in the 1700's but have not had a chance to connect with Livingstons in this part of the world. I hope to do more research in this area as there appears to be highland Livingston descendants there. The fact that a group of Livingstons are at least at the 25 marker level a close match to your John Lloyd and my cousin Lloyd indicates at the very least a specific highland group of Maclea Livingstones and Andrew agrees with me on this point, although we have to see how Miles Livingstone's descendant matches up at the 37 and 67 marker level. This may well narrow down thing and we may find fewer Livingstones a close match but we just have to wait a couple of weeks and see. I am encouraged that likely in the last 400 years or so all of these five or six Livingstons may have shared the same common ancestor somewhere in Western Argyllshire possibly as Macleas. I was glad to see in the early stages of testing at least that my cousin was matching up with known highland Livingstone descendants. In fact almost all that were a close match were Livingstons or Livingstones. regards, Donald