Beaton Institute, Colin Livingston Inquiry

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, I found out about this Catharine but she is from the Donald and Mary Livingston family of Lot 65, Queens County not Barry's family. This Catharine who died in 1891 lived at Lot 30 at Strathgartney, in Queens County PEI. She wasa widow that lived on Tryon Road on the east side of Lot 30 Her husband who died many years before her was John Livingston a grandson of the PEI livingston pioneer Donald Livingston and his wife Mary from Lot 65 Nile Mile Creek, Queens County. This is not Colin Livingstone's wife Catharine unfortunately It is interesting howeever to note that Dr. St. Clair believed that old Kate b.1807/1808 of Mull River, Cape Breton and her sister aNNIE
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Lot 30 - 1891 Catherine age 75 died 1892 Catherine age 35
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Sorry Donald, something happened and I couldn't complete my post. Don't hesitate to ask me questions Re: PEI. I was really intrigued when I saw the name Daniel McLea Livingstone age 6 1891. So ask all the questions you want. Regards; Roberta
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Guys You guys amaze me. Sorry I missed chiming in on this, I missed seeing the new thread. I will be very surprised if the Donald Livingston, Lot 31, Livingstons are not related to my family of Livingstons. I think the key is Colin's wife Catherine. I can't believe a woman could fly under the radar like she is. I thought initially that she may have remarried, but in the deed I found there is no mention of a husband for Catherine and all other spouses for the children were mentioned. If I was considering moving to a new world, I would sent a few family members and wait for reports from them. This would allow them to research a suitable location and prepare for future family members. This is why the John Livingston in lot 53 still bugs me because I think he is related as well. Right at the moment, the key is Catherine research and where did she go after Colin's death and where is she buried. These are questions I am working on, but so far nothing. I did spend the day at the archives on Monday. I picked up the documents I ordered and did some more research. Interestingly the farm that Angus bought in Upton, lot 55, originally belonged to his sister Mary and her family. It looks like her husband John passed away, because he is not in the 1881 census on the property with her and it shows her as a widow. I checked this on the PEI 1880 land atlas. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Roberta Actually John and Kate had two children born on PEI, Duncan and Mary. I found this in the Livingstone family file at the Archives, and this was compiled by Dr. St. Clair. Roberta you have Duncan marrying Mary MacDonald. Do you know if she was Catholic and from PEI? Duncan born on PEI in 1841 Mary born on PEI in 1844 The rest were all born in Mull River. So it looks like John and Catherine spent some time on PEI. They likely moved to Mull River in 1842 to 1847. Interestingly there is a gap of 6 years between John and Mary being born. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Yes know you really have my attention. Very interesting. The PEI Census of 1891? Is that where you found Daniel McLea Livingstone. What Lot NO. and County? regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Dont know about Lot 31 just Lot 30 Queens County where this Catharine was. She is in the Donald Livingston and Mary Livingston family tree and there relatives also I believe lived on Lot 30. As I said I suspect that it is old Kate and her sister Annie that are related to this old PEI pioneer family as Dr. St. Clair as a much indicated and not your Colin Livingstone or his his father John Livingstone Sr. and Catharine Campbell. You are only in a sense indirectly related to them through marriage. That is the marriage of your gg Uncle John Livingston Jr. to Old Kate who is probably of this PEI family and your gg Uncle Alexander Livingston of Whycocomagh who was married ot her sister Annie also of this PEI family. So that in essence how you are connected to this Nine Mile Creek Lot 65 family Queens county who is also connected whose kin also lived at Lot 30 the details of which I mentioned to Roberta in a recent message. Hope the connection makes sense. This is why also in the census records from Cape Breton that old kate and ALexanders wife Annie are recorded as being born in PEI and not Nova Scotia. Someone I think told Dr. St. Clair long ago that old Kate and Alexander of Whycocomaghs wife Ann were from the old pioneer Nine MIle Creek, PEI family. I have more interesting info for you regarding your ancestors later. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Did you try checking the old Dundas United Presbyterian Church Cemetery? It was originally a Presbyterian Church going back at least to 1845 or around that so Colin and his wife might have been buried there. The first obvious place would the nearest town to sons Angus or John. Deaths werent officially registerd before 1906 in PEI so it is a bit hit and miss before 1906 I would think. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Daniel McLea Livingstone age 6; 1901 PEI Census Lot 30. Regards; Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Barry; Mary McDonald d/o Alexander McDonald -- Mull Geneaology. Mary McDonald married Duncan in PEI.