McNichols of Port Appin and Island of Lismore

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Regarding the Angus McNichol smith mentioned in Peter Livingston of Port Appin's death record, I have verified from the 1841 Scottish census that he was born abt. 1811, was a resident of Port Appin and that his occupation was Smith not his last name. He is in every sense of the word of the McNichol family. In 1841 he is only McNichol residing at Appin but there were 12 McNichols residing on the neighbouring Isle of Lismore in 1841 at two villages: Kielchiran and Balgarve where a Duncan Livingstone born abt. 1811 was also a smith by trade. I would assume that Angus McNichol born abt. 1811 was Peter Livingstone's first cousin related to him on Peter's mother's side of the family. Peter's mother was Catharine McNicol who we believe originated as did her husband Duncan Livingston from the Island of Lismore before they went to Port Appin in the later 1790's. The cemetery stones at the Appin Cemetery tell us a bit more about this McNichol family. The father of Angus McNicol and probably Catharine McNichol (Mrs Duncan Livingstone) was Donald McNichol a smith by trade who died at Lismore February 6th 1837 at the age of 65 years. Donald's wife was Mary McClashan or McGlashan
Canadian Livingstone

Angus McNicol's wife residing with him at Port Appin
Canadian Livingstone

That should be McNicol not McNichol. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Thank you Donald for all of this information.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Sorry I made one error. Donald McNichol of Lismore born abt. 1772 is more than likely the brother of Catharine McNichol wife of Duncan Livington. That being the case Donald's son Angus McNichol born abt. 1811 and Catharine and Duncan Livingstons son Peter Livingston would stil be as I said first cousins. Catharine is definitely not a daughter of Angus Mcnichols father Donald who was born in 1772 but his sister. Thus Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNichol would be Angus McNichol's Uncle and AUnt. There now I think I have it right. I did not calculate Donald's birth date from the cemetery information. That should be ok. Sorry about that. Perhaps if I have a chance I will check in the Parish records for a Donald McNichol baptised around 1772 on the Isle of Lismore and we can then determine who the father of Donald Mcnichol and Catharine was. I assume Catharine was also born and baptised in the 1770's and should theoretically be in the old lismore parish baptism records. I a copy of the original 18th century parish book until the 21st of July I think on loan at the library.