William Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.

Re: William Livingstone

Postby RLivingstone » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Donald,

I am back tracking yet again because I still have not convincingly found my great grandfather or his parents yet. I def not one of those folks floating around on Ancestry with a passing part time interest in genealogy that will claim what looks or sounds good..... I have to know for sure I will keep looking. I have been crazy frustrated the last few days so I decided to come back here and reread all the posts in case I missed something. As soon as I reach the bottom of this coffee cup and the brain fog is lifted, I will read all the posts in here again and try to come at this thing from another angle. Appreciate everyone's assistance!
RLivingstone

Postby Canadian Livingstone » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi R,

I can very much appreciate your frustration and disappointment at reaching a genealogy brick wall regarding your ancestor William Livingston. I am currently researching my ancestral connection to Rev. Roger Williams founder of 17th century Rhode Island through his daughter Mercy William's (Mrs Samuel WInsor's) daughter Sarah Winsor (Mrs James King) Unfortunately some family trees of Mercy Williams and her second husband Samuel Winsor have them with a daughter Sarah Winsor (Mrs. James King) and others do not. So I can not say for certain then that I am in fact a direct descendant of the founder of Rhode Island, though it is clear I am related to the original King, Thornton and Winsor families who were acquainted with Rev Roger Williams, some of whom were apparently connected to his early Baptist congregation in Rhode Island. But proving that my King and Thornton ancestors in Rhode Island were descended from Rev. Roger Williams has proven difficult with the conflicting information that is available. So I can very easily relate to your own genealogical challenges with your ancestor William Livingston.

I am sorry I was not able to find the William Livingston you are looking for in the Canadian records. William Livingston born in the 1860's in Mornington, Perth County Ontario Canada son of Peter Livingston and his wife Janet Riddle is definitely not your ancestor William Livingston. William son of Peter Livingston as mentioned in my earlier message did not leave Canada and died there for certain according that his family info. So he can't be the one you are related to that left Canada for the United States. William's father Peter Livingston was born in East Kilbride Lanarkshire.A John Livingston Sr. an older brother of Dr. Livingstone that originated in Blantyre, Lanarkshire also lived after 1860 in Perth County, Ontario but he did not have a son William born in the 1860's.

One thing I found interesting during my search for your ancestor in the Canadian census records of 1871 and 1881 is that many of the William Livingstons born in the mid 1860's in Canada according to the Canadian Census records were recorded as being actually of an Ireland family origin (Scotch-Irish) that is to say that their parents originated likely from Ulster in the North of Ireland and who sometime earlier in the 1800's settled in Canada. Their ancestors were lowland Scots who were encouraged to settled in the six counties of Ireland during the early 17th century. Their descendants who later settled in Canada from one of the Counties in Ulster Ireland in the 1800's are referred to in the 19th century Canadian Census record as being of Irish origin often by the census taker in those times. Among those Livingston families of Scotch Irish Ulster origin the name William would also perhaps of had some historical connection with them to William of Orange and that earlier period of 17th century Ulster history.

Since your William Livingston, born in the 1860's from what little information available from the 1900 U.S Census, was the son of parents both born in Scotland then I guess that appears to definitely rule out the William Livingstons born in the mid 1860's in the Ontario, Canada census records of 1871 and 1881 who seem to be of parents who the census suggests were apparently born in Ireland rather than Scotland. I will take another look for another William Livingston born in the mid 1860's with parents born in Scotland just be certain I have not overlooked someone.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Postby Canadian Livingstone » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi R,
You mentioned William had been a "fireman" and worked for the railroad.
If your ancestor William Livingston was a fireman he would probably have been a railroad "fireman" which is old 19th century steam railroad terminology for a person who was responsible for maintaining the operation of the boiler for the steam engine powered trains and may have been so when a railroad accident apparently claimed his life in the first decade of the 20th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireman_% ... _engine%29

Most of the William Livingtons born in the 1860's in the Ontario, Canada census records of the 1871 and 1881 as mentioned are of parents who were born in Ireland, with only a couple of Scottish parentage born in the 1860' in Ontario, but I did find one of interest a William Livingston born in 1863 in Ontario whose father Thomas Livingston and mother Barbara were born in Scotland. The family in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 Ontario Canada census records are recorded as residing in Brock, Ontario County, North in Ontario, Canada. Their son William Livingston interestingly appears in the 1871, 1881 Census at the family residence in Brock, but is no longer living with the family of Thomas and Barbara Livingston by the time of the 1891 Canadian Census. I don't know that this would be your ancestor William Livingston as he is recorded as being 2 or 3 years older than your ancestor apparently would have been in 1871 and 1881, but there are frequently errors in the recording of ages in Census records. It may just be that this William Livingston died in Ontario sometime between 1881 and 1891 or left home as he was the eldest child in the family of Thomas and Barbara Livingston located elsewhere in Canada and I just have not found him. Only one person on ancestry.com seems aware of Thomas and Barbara Livingston of Brock, Ontario and while they acknowledge that their eldest child was this William Livingston they don't have any info on him other that that he was born abt. 1863. So no clues from ancestry.com. He probably is not your William Livingston but his info caught my attention when I noticed he was of Scottish parents who settled in Canada and that he is missing after the 1881 Census in Canada which would fit with your William who apparently left Canada for America around 1884.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Previous

Return to Ancestral Search