The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Re: The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Roberta and Ryan

The death information for Margaret is under the name Devoe. Here on PEI there are a number of ways to spell Deveaux, the french spelling and the Englis spelling Devoe.

She was living at Alder Point, and died March 22, 1931. Look for Margaret Alice Devoe in the death certificates.

Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Barry;

Thank you, Barry. I was just trying to find her in Nova Scotia and also trying to figure out the 2 different spellings that I found. Well you sure saved me lots of time.

Regards;

Roberta
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Ryan,

I didn't see Margaret Alice Deveaux buried with your Livingstones at the St. James Presbyterian Cemetery. But there are many others about 42 I think I counted. There was only one Angus Rory Livingstone buried there it gave no birth date but the year of death was 1895 and it stated he was the son of Archibald, stone #809.

Jewel
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jewel;

Re: Margaret Deveau/Devoe, you'll probably find her in a Roman Catholic Cemetery.

Regards;

Roberta
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Ryan,

Came across some baptism records you might like to have. I spelled them just how they are recorded.

"Bras D'or St Joseph Parish Baptism Records"

Children of John Levingstone and Elizabeth Hayes

Margaret Alice, b. July 26, 1868, bapt. Aug. 9,1868 sponsors, Alexander McDonald, Mary Levingston

William Dawson, b.Jan.3,1870, bapt.Mar.13,1870 sponsors, William Deason .Amy Chisolm

Isabela Mary, b.Feb.6,1872, bapt.Feb.25,1872, sponsors, Thomas Kehoe, Sarah Kehoe

James Walter, b. Dec. 5,1873, bapt. April 30,1874 spponsors, David Flemming, Christy Levingstone

Daniel, b.Nov. 5, 1875, bapt. Nov. 5,1875 sponsors,James Hayes, Caroline Bruard
Elizabeth Agnes,b. Nov.5,1875 bapt. Nov. 5,1875 spponsors, Hugh McPherson M.D., Isabella Levingston

John Archibald, b. Nov. 26,1879, bapt. Feb. 4, 1880, sponsors, Thomas Kehoe, Ellen Connell

Carlotta Louise, b. Nov. 22,1883, bapt. May, 23, 1884, sponsors, Thomas Kehoe, Mrs. George Carey

This one might be a different family.

Parent: John Levingston and Catherine Hays

Christina Catherine b. Oct. 17, 1877, bapt. Feb. 3, 1878, sponsors, Alexander McDonald, Mrs Angus Chisholm

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Ryan,

This information is from, "Francis Funeral Home"

Margaret Alice Devoe, of Alder Point, d. March 22,1931, buried on March 24, 1931 at Little Bras D'Or Cemetery, next of kin, Charles Devoe.

Mrs, John Livingstone: born, Mabou, died Jan 4, 1921, Big Bras D'or, at the age of 73, 8 mo. buried Jan. 6, 1921, next of kin John Livingstone.

Jewel
rwalker

Post by rwalker »

No they didn't relocate far because my grandmother grew up in Boularderie on Livingstone land. Her father (Charles Devoe) remarried after Margaret died but he fathered no other children other than my grandmother. The house they lived in still stands although is unrecognizable now.
Attached is the picture I have of her:

Edit Turns out she was buried closer to my parents house after all. Little Bras d'Or would be St. Joseph's Church. They have also have a list online of the graves. Thank you very much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Ryan,

Yes it would appear that is another Angus Livingston not our Napoleonic War vet that served aboard the Channel Fleet 100 gun warship the The Royal George, not the one that took up settlement around that time at Bras d'or Boularderie in Victoria County, Cape Breton. Are you still living in Cape Breton?
regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ryan,

I noticed from Jewel's info that one of the sponsors of Margarets brother at his baptism was a Deason. Can I assume then that you are descended from Angus Livingston's son ALexander Livingston 1806-1894 and his wife Isabella Deason. Does that ring any bells? I used to have cemetery info for Isabella and some of the others. I recall that some folks had transcribed the cemetery records and she and others were there. Was it St. James Cemetery? I think that was it. It was almost two years when first got interested in ANgus Livingston so I find I need a refresher course. Angus had four sons that I know of: Laughlin,Archibald,Alexander and the youngest Roderick. Looks like they've found lots of info for you to go through for your family research.

regards,

Donald
rwalker

Post by rwalker »

Donald,

Yes St James Cemetery is where they are buried, and no I do not live in Cape Breton anymore. I'm in Halifax. And to recap on the first post, I am a descendant of Angus through Alexander. The William Dawson baptism that Jewel has there is our sea captain that was an officer on board the Mackay Bennett (my grandmother's uncle) and is buried a few minutes away from where I am living now in Mount Olivet Cemetery. I'll get a photo of his grave tomorrow. I've redone my family tree here with a confirmed lineage, that being that two separate archived records can confirm the bloodline rather than putting faith in less than reputable web sources. The only problem now is picking up the trail before Angus came across the ocean.

Land grants state that he'd been living in Cape Breton since September of 1819 but that doesn't mean that's when he arrived in the New World. At least we know that an Angus came across with Malcolm to Merigomish in 1790's but he later settled on the south of the island. I think the Kilninian birth of an Angus in 1769 fits as the other Angus was most likely the son of Malcolm, not John.

Another lead to go on is that Angus's 3 oldest sons where born in Scotland. So if I can locate birth records of Lachlan, Archibald and Alexander then I might be able to place him.