The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Re: The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Post by Kyle MacLea »

rwalker wrote:Another lead to go on is that Angus's 3 oldest sons where born in Scotland. So if I can locate birth records of Lachlan, Archibald and Alexander then I might be able to place him.
I'm not seeing anything in the OPRs that would match these 3 births. What would the mother's name be again? Approximate time frame?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Kyle;

The only records I could find was Angus married to Christian McLukais with children Alexander b. Dec. 23, 1807 and Archibald b. Dec. 23, 1803. Penmore, Mull.
Also, the 1779 Mull Census shows Neil age 40 with sons Angus age 4 and Donald age 2; with his wife and 4 daughters, Sheabach: 17790156.
Additionally, my post of Dec. 23, 2009: I re-posted from Rob. House No: 81 Neil 1739, Angus 1775, Donald 1777.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ryan and Everyone,

Yes the sons of Angus Livingston would have been born in Scotland and given that Angus named his land grant at Bras d'or, Cape Breton "Kilninian" after Kilninian Parish in Scotland I would suspect that he and his sons originated from Kilninian Parish, Mull, Scotland.

Known Sons of Angus Livingston b.1773 presumingly in Mull, Scotland
1.Laughlin b. abt. 1801 ( died young)
2.Archibald 1804-1891 married Jane Beaton
3. Alexander 1806-1894 married Isabella Deason
4. Roderick 1810-1870 married Flora Sutherland (Rodericks death in 1870 is noted in the 1871 Cape Breton Census)

I find Roberta's find of an Archibald and Alexander most interesting at Penmore, Mull given that Penmore I think was in Kilninian Parish if I am not mistaken. The numbers are off a bit but that might not be a problem. Could be our Angus and his sons perhaps. Those old Argyllshire record from the old parish books are for the most part actually Christenings and sometimes people record them as births I notice from time to time. If Alexander was born in 1806/1807 and baptised in 1807 that would be about perfect. Archibald born 1804 baptised 1803 is off a bi but maybe the 1804 information should be born in 1803. Then we might have something like our Archibald born/baptised 1803 and ALexander born 1806 or 1807 baptised 1807. Then that really fits nicely with what Roberta found. Although we did not find the other sons records the juxtaposition of the Archibald and ALexander records and the Penmore baptisms being so close to dates that have in Canada suggests there is strong possibility that this Angus and Christian Livingston of Penmore, Mull and their sons Archibald and ALexander are the persons we are looking for. Who else do we know originated at Penmore, Mull that settled at Cape Breton. Seems to ring a bell.

See Mull Genealogy:
John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Penmore Mull married 31 December 1805 ( left Kilninian Parish in 1821 for Nova Scotia)
Children baptised from between 1806 and 1820
Mary, John, Janet, Donald, Alexander, Catharine, Colin, and Christina. (This is the family that the Whycocomagh Livingstons stated left in 1821 from Kilninian Parish for Nova Scotia according their document from Mull) (A John Livingston and Catharine Campbell from Mull Settled at Mull River, S.E Mabou, Cape Breton about 1824 .) (Sure enough a John, Alexander and Colin about the same age as those in the baptismal records from Kilninian Parish lived at Mull RIver and neigbouring Whycocomagh before 1860.)

Angus and Christian Livingston of Penmore, Mull (left Kilninian Parish in 1816 for Nova Scotia?)
Children Archibald and Alexander baptised 1803 and 1807 at Penmore ( Settled 1816 Bras d'or Boularderie Island, Victoria County, Cape Breton about 1819)

Oh yet a another possible Mull River Livingston related coincidence. Could they be related?

regards,

Donald

Donald
rwalker

Post by rwalker »

Yes thanks Roberta and Donald!

I am so glad I came to find this forum. It's a shame the Walkers can't contribute to the DNA project as two great granddaughters of Old Angus married Walkers and two very big families came from them. Roberta's find in Penmore is spot on. I was hoping to shed a little light on the Atlantic crossing by finding Angus in a ship list to confirm what family would have traveled with him. No luck as of yet.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ryan,
Well I know it sounds plausible. Only Problem is that a good deal of it is not proven and appears to be based in part on a theory that I conjured up. I had however never seen the info that Roberta found on an ANgus Livingston at Penmore that had two sons Archibald and Alexander so close to the Angus and sons that settled at Bras d'or. Well minus a couple of sons. Perhaps ANgus and Christian moved around a bit or the records for their other children were lost. Whether it is or isnt I dont know for certain but it sure is freaky that showed up as being an Angus Livington of Penmore, Mull when I have been trying so hard to prove that this guys neighbour John Livingstone and Catharine Campbell settled at Cape Breton. How bizarre is that. Yet another strange coincidence in this Cape Breton Livingston research.

regards,

Donald
rwalker

Post by rwalker »

That would be the same John that settled in Low Point?
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Ryan,

I've been following your threads fairly closely. It is interesting to me that you, a Walker, have Livingston(e)s in your family history and me, a Livingston, have Walkers in mine. I can trace my Walker heritage back to the mid to late 1700's in New England. Shoot me a PM some time and we could look at matching up that side of our families.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Ryan;

You mentioned John Livingstone of Low Point 1784/86-1859. He married Christy McPhee in, I believe 1806; somewhere. He arrived on the Brig Humphries in 1806 via Tobormory and landed in PEI. However, he settled in Low Point, where Christy's relatives were all ready settled. Sons: John, Donald, Alexander and Laughlin.

He was my 4th great grandfather. He married a Roman Catholic. I haven't be able to find him in Scotland, although; he named his Land Grant "Staffa".

Family lore, actually my father, told me that there were 3 brothers. 2 stayed in Cape Breton and one went to Ontario.

Re: Your Angus; I found, in a preliminary search: Niall, Donald, John, Hugh and Angus as sons of John. John is in the 1779 Census age 40 with sons Donald age 2 and Angus age 4. I will continue to search this family.

Just in case you are related to George and Ena Walker, I want to say what a wonderful baritone George Walker was.

Regards;

Roberta
rwalker

Post by rwalker »

Greg,

I have been very interested in tracing the Walker line but haven't had much luck since my grandfather died when my father was 8. I have only back a few generations to a Neil Walker (Sr.) who married a Jane MacPhee that was born somewhere in Argyll. They lived in Alder Point (my hometown) and Point Aconi (sometimes spelled Point E Conie) on either side of St. Andrew's Channel, Cape Breton. When my wife and I were married a few months ago, my mother presented her the Walker tartan as we had somewhat of a Celtic wedding. Walker is a little known (or documented) sept of the Gregor clan and we share the clan badge and motto. Even though my middle name (Gregory) passed down from my father was just a coincidence, I plan to keep it in the family for that reason. I also find it rather interesting that both the MacGregors and the Livingstons had trouble and feuds with Clan Campbell throughout history. I was looking into contributing to the Walker DNA project as it has over 600 members. It might shed a bit of light on that side of the family since so many are actively involved.
Roberta wrote:He was my 4th great grandfather. He married a Roman Catholic. I haven't be able to find him in Scotland, although; he named his Land Grant "Staffa".
Roberta, as you may already know, Staffa is an island off of the west coast of Mull. It's a relatively small island and I would look for church records in that area as well as hamlets close by on the shore of Mull.

The 1779 census I haven't found. Most sites only list back as far as Ancestry.com with 1841 and he was in Cape Breton by then so i hit a dead end. I'd be curious to know what parish he is listed in and to try Church records for more info. And I must say that the only George Walker I have come across in the past was my grandfather George Francis whom I've never met.
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Ryan,

I found another child for Angus Levingstone and Christina McLukais in Kilninian & Kilmore

John Levingston christened, December 20 1805.

This was taken from Scots Origins OPRI & SRI birth & christening records.

Jewel