The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
rwalker

Re: The Livingstons of Boularderie, Cape Breton, NS, Canada

Post by rwalker »

Jewel,

That would be the child listed on the clan birth records page under "not noted" then. I was hoping that the name that belonged there would tie in to the sons of Angus that we know settled in Big Bras d'Or. If Roderick was born in Scotland you'd think it might be easy to find as it seems a rather uncommon name for the area.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ryan,
I am thrilled that another son of Angus and Christian Livingston was located by Jewel. Regardless of whether or not an entry for Laughlin and Roderick is found in the Mull records we know from the Cape Breton information that they existed and were sons of your ancestor Angus Livingston.
I not entirely suprised that there were other children of Angus Livingston that may or may not have arrived with him in 1819. I had heard rumours. Most of the info we have on his children is from census records years later and some of his children if he had any others could have died well before then. I really only knew about Archibald and ALexander because of the census records and Ann Capsticks info, Roderick in particular is mentioned in the 1871 census as being deceased in 1870 and Laughlin I knew about from some Cape Breton research. I will say that I dont think Ann Capstick or anyone else neccessarily had a complete list of the children of Angus Livingston. It is has been my experience over they years that one of the joys of searching through archival records is that they are full of surprises. If all the information was there exactly as you expected or wanted all nice and neat what fun would there be in that.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Ryan and Donald:

Go figure; Angus Livingstone and Christina McLucais had 3 daughters.

Catherine b/c July 1,1800
Annie b/c Nov. 6, 1809
Catherine b/c Sept. 4, 1811.................All born Kilninian & Kilmore.............IGI Batch 1154442

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

To be honest I dont know what to think about Angus and Christian Livingston from Penmore, Mull. Just when I think we are on to something we cant find Laughlin or Roderick in those records as Ryan has pointed out. It might just be missing entries. I dont know. So close and yet so far on Mull River and Bras d'or Livingstons. There always seems to be a missing piece in the puzzle. Thanks to all for locating the Penmore info. Another bizarre coincidence in the Cape Breton Livingston research a John Livingston,Catherine Campbell and Angus Livingston with sons Archibald and Alexander all from Penmore, Kilninian and Kilmore? To good to be true? I wish I knew. I wonder if Ann Capstick discovered any daughters of old Angus in her research? I think her website is still on the web though it does not appear to have updated in a very long time. Perhaps someone in the Cape Breton Genealogical and History Society may know of her.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Probably the first Catherine died. As you located in several Censuses, there are more than one Catherine. There could be matches for Catherine b. 1811 and Annie b. 1809 in the Inverness area.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

I am going to look up the Ann Capstick info see if there any info on possible daughters of old Angus. I think I printed it out some of it a long time ago if not I think her website is still up an running.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

If I remember correctly, E. Ann Capstick entered her information in 1996.

Also, all the children are spelled Levingston.

Possible marriage date for Angus and Christina, March 8, 1796; Kilninian & Kilmore.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Ann Capstick states that she does not know whether his wife and all of his family came to Cape Breton, though I think it likely as they would be all young unless he was married before 1799. Three of the sons Archibald, Alexander and Roderick I found in the census records though only Roderick's death in 1870 is mentioned in the 1871 Census. I noticed his wife Flora is a widow. Laughlin b.1799 the eldest son can not be found for good reason. According to the early records Ann Capstick found Laughlin returned to Europe (Scotland?) a few years after arriving a few years after Angus and family arrived in 1819. Funny I dont know where i got 1816 from. What date did you get from his earlier land petitions 1816 or 1819. I thought I saw both dates somewhere. Anyways Ann Capticks says its 1819 on her website.

I noticed she only found info for one woman she suspected to be a daughter of Angus which was a Mary Livingston no other info than she was married Feb.16,1825 to an Archibald McDonald. I guess we did not find a Mary in those Penmore records a daughter of Angus and Christian or Christina?

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Angus Livingston...baptised: October 1769, Penmore, Isle of Mull

father: John Livingston
Mother: Katherine Cameron

Marriage: Christian McLukais

Children:

Donald.........Nov. 12, 1798