Randomly Acquired Information

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Randomly Acquired Information

Post by jmlivingstone »

Some more info on Angus Livingstone b. abt.1775 at Sheaba, Kilvinichen & Kilvickeon, Mull, & Margaret Hall, their first child Mary was born Glasgow, 31.10.1802, Mary was baptised on the day of her birth, so there is a distinct possibility she was not expected to live too long.
At this time Angus is listed as a cotton spinner, and ex-soldier, as he was only around 28 years old at the time, it probably seems strange that he was classed as a Chelsea/military pensioner. I suppose, given that the military had 12 year olds enlisted in those days, it is possible he had the best part of 16 years service by the age of 28, I suppose this would probably qualify him for a military pension.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Thanks for that info. I am looking forward to the British Archives having information on highland LIvingston Chelsea Pension info online in 2011.
I would think your ancestor Angus Livingston would have had at least 20 years of military service behind him before he would became a Chelsea Pensioner. Apparently the hospital among its other responsibilities to soldiers was responsible for the pensions. By 1815 there were over 36,000 of them a number of them highland Livingstons I have noticed when I did briefly see some of the names. Your Angus was in the army and he may turn up in the Chelsea pension list when the British Archives completes the process putting a searchable index of the CHelsea pensioners online by about 2011.

I dont think I will find the Angus Livingston of Boularderie, Cape Breton who was a sailor aboard the Channel Fleet ship The ROyall George during the Napoleonic Wars in the Chelsea Pension records however as he was not a soldier but a sailor. I have found some info on this ship and even some the ship's records but it may take me a while to get to them.

Lookiing back at some of the discussions of Angus Livingston from 2007 in the forum I have pretty much reached the conclusion that somewhere along the line there has been some confusion regarding your ancestor Angus Livingston who was a veteran of the British Army, married to Margaret Hall or McPhail? and who resided at Jura in 1841 and Angus Livingston of Kilninian Parish, Mull b. 1773 who was a sailor aboard the Royal George during the Napoleonic War, received land at Boularderie, Bras d'or, Victoria, County, Cape Breton about 1819 and who in the 1838-1841 Census of Cape Breton is living at Boularderie near two of his sons ALexander and Archibald. I have not as yet been able to determine how the two Angus Livngstons got mixed up but I am pretty certain it happened and is happening in the some of the information.

On the other hand it sounds like you have pretty much zeroed in on the Angus Livingston and Margaret Hall that lived at Jura and their descendants and made your own family connection to him.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,
There are a few things that do not quite tie in as neatly as I would like, like Angus being a military pensioner at 28 years old, age discrepancies when they lived on Jura, and even more so, where did they go after Jura?
I've got a good paper trail, that it is the correct Angus and Margaret, this has just been verified by www.scotsfamily.com, a couple of days ago, they came up with the same results as myself, with the addition of the first child Mary.
It's a pity Angus was such a popular name in those days, still it makes life interesting, and I'll keep trying till I find what I'm after,

John
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Not sure if this will be of any interest to anyone or not,
John

LIVINGSTONE, alias Gorm. This surname confined chiefly to Glenquaich; 1823, Donald, W. Shian; 1834, Donald, John, W. Shian. Colin Livingstone, the last parish schoolmaster of Fort William, belonged to this family. He was born at Balinreich, Strathbran, died at Fort William, and was buried in Glen Nevis. He used to say that the first Livingstone in Glenquaich came there to hide after Culloden, and hailed from Lismore. Colin claimed relationship with the great missionary and explorer, and was invited to attend the celebration of his centenary at Edinburgh, in 1913. He was a good Gaelic scholar, and was well acquainted with the traditions of Glenquaich
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I noticed that a while back also. I dont know of his family but I assume that he or his family sometime prior to 1800 settled in the Fort William area. It not too far from our Western Argyll Livingston ancestral homeland and we know some of our clan found work at Fort William to be sure. The Livingstons that lived at Fort William in the 1800's I would be reasonably certain originated from our Western Argyll Livingstons. We have one Livingston currently in our DNA project who connects his Livingston family back to Fort William.

Getting back to Australia.
I watched an interesting program this week about the rare Wollemi pine tree found near Sydney, Australia in the 1990's that has existed for at least 150 million years during the time of the dinosaurs. Somehow this ancient type of primitive pine has managed to suvive for thousands of year. There are less than 40 of these tall trees and they are going to great lengths to protect them from the public. They look like ancient prehistoric trees one would find in a fossil. Very interesting. Have you heard about these "Dinosaur" pines?

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,
I just googled Wolemi pines, you can actually buy them in the UK or US. I'm looking at buying 2 or 3,
John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I did not realize that Australian Wollmemi pines were for sale to the public. Neat.

Sorry I have been calling you Jim and I was thinking you were a Jim Livington from Australia. I realize your name is John. There is a John Livingston from Australia that I have working with recently on his family history that is also part of the Parker Livingston group so you must be another John LIvingston the John M.Livingston in the group I presume. At a distance of 6 you are not a close cousin to my Livingston cousin but there is some probability we share some distant Maclea Livingston ancestor in Western Argyll some centuries ago. I think you may be more closely related to John C. Livingston of the Parker Livington group than my Livingston kin that was tested.

I am finding it interesting that a significant number of descendants of the Canadian and Australian Livingston settlers from Western Argyll so far are ending up in this Parker Livingston group. Many of them seem to have some connection with Mull and neighbouring Morvern in Western Argyll. Some of the family connection are probably ancient some not as ancient but I am getting the sense that many of this group may have shared a Livingston ancestor in the Mull-Morvern area. In the future I think we will find more lining up with this group originating Canada, Australia, the USA as well as the U.K. itself.

Regarding Fort William, the famous Donald Livingston of Morvern, hero of the Appin Regiment at Culloden in later years made a living supplying the soldiers at Fort William with cattle and other supplies. The British officers at the Fort may have known or suspected Donald was a former Jacobite soldier but they apparently did not make an issue of it.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I have pretty much confirmed that there is definitely some military info in the British Archives regarding an Angus Livingston that served in the army between 1800 and 1815 we just have to locate it. Presumingly this is your Angus Livingston that lived at Jura in the 1840's. There appears to be only one Angus Livingston in the military records from this period. The other Angus Livingston that settled after the Napoleonic War in Cape Breton was a sailor and may or may not be listed in British Navy records.We do however have an early record which indicates he served aboard the "Royal George". So one way or another we have some knowledge of his service during the war.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,
Both Angus & Margaret seem to disappear off the face of the earth after the 1841 census on Jura.
The only further info I have found on either Angus or Margaret, is the 1841 census has her listed as "born in foreign parts", possibly Angus met her while overseas with the army, although Mull Genealogy appear to have her as a native of Mull. I suppose her father could have been in the military, then returned to Mull, something else to look at.
I'm heading back to Scotland for a few weeks, while I'm at home I'll see if I can get anymore info, I've got a vague memory of an old family bible lying around at home somewhere, which contained a load of old names and dates.
John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

I think perhaps the British Archives has another record on your Angus in addition to whatever is included in the Chelsea Pension records. I may be able to get a copy in the near future of the other record I think I stumbled across today that I think refers to your ANgus during the Napoleonic War.

regards,

Donald