Dr. David Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
casa

Re: Dr. David Livingston

Post by casa »

Hi Donald,

Yes. Gilbert Currie and Catherine Currie ( nee Livingston) had 5 Children according to the information I have. Hugh Currie b: 1814; Christian Currie b:1816; Margaret Currie b: 1818; Catherine Currie b: 1820 (approx); Mary Currie b:1822. They were all born in Bowmore, Isle of Islay, Scotland. Hugh was the only one to leave Scotland as he ran away from home and sailed to Australia as part of the Robert Benn crew who were transporting immigrants to Australia. He fell in love with one Catherine Gall, b: 25 Apr,1824, Cardross, Dunbarton, Scotland, who was on the ship with her family and when they arrived in Australia, Hugh left the ship and stayed in Australia and married Catherine. Other than Hugh Currie I have not got any information on the children of Gilbert and Catherine as as soon as I discovered catherine's maiden name was Livingstone I thought I had the right Catherine Currie to lead me to the connection to David Livingstone as my grandmother stated that it was through the Currie name that we had the connection. This still may be, but I can't get any details from the records about her parents James Livingstone and Catherine Niven.
When I saw the census and noticed a McDougall, the name rang bells, so I must have seen that name somewhere in connection to David Livingston. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I will follow through.

I have not been able to get very far yet, but I have found a Catherine Currie married a Colin McDougall, 01 Jan,1843 Glasgow,Lanark,Scotland and also another entry of a Mary Currie who married a Peter McDougall, 2 feb,1843, Kilmore & Kilbride. Argyll, Scotland. Will try to ascertain if they have any connection to my family. Neither of the entries gave their parents names.

Casa
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Carol,
Sorry Mrs Gilbert Currie's parents were James Livingston and Catharine McNiven. Couldnt read the mc until tonight. The person who wrote the death entry had a very artistic method of writing mc. Niven, Mac Niven and McNiven all lived on the Isle of Islay with some of them at Bowmore. Anyone with a knowledge of Islay willl confirm that McNivens are an old family on the Island.
I was disappointed that i could not go any farther than James Livingston and Catharine McNiven. I have however checked out Niven and McNiven and found out there were infact lots of them at Bowmore which was reassuring so I am pretty sure I got the last night right. I did a further check and there are large number of baptism entries of Nivens at Bowmore. The McNivens and Nivens are said have been on the Isle of Islay for several centuries. I also found another Livingston that married a McNiven at Islay so I suspect your James LIvingston and Catharine Niven also met in Bowmore or elsewhere on Islay although I the marriage record does not seem to have survived. At least I was happen find out that the Bowmore Niven's are a well known family name at Kilarrow Parish Islay. There is no doubt that this is Mrs Gilbert Currie's family. The search for your ancestors should be on the Island of Islay where a good number of your ancestors likely lived for centuries. Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish is where your Currie, Livingston and Niven family resided. Where the Livingstons lived before Islay I cant say because there is more than one group of Livingstons on the Island in the 1700's and 1800's and not all related to one another. But in terms of your overall family roots they are clearly at Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Islay or at least on the Isle of Islay.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Carol,
Island of Islay
Hugh Currie and Margaret McAllister
married Jan. 29, 1784 Bowmore,Kilarrow Parish James Livingston and Catharine McNiven Parents

Gilbert Currie b. abt. 1785 d.Aug.13,1861 Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1791 at Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish, Islay
Bowmore,Kilarrow Parish d. July 1,1872 Bowmore,Kilarrow Parish, Islay

Hugh Currie and Margaret McAllister (Gilbert's Parent's and siblings)
known children
Gilbert Currie b. abt. 1785 Bowmore or Kilchoman Parish, Islay (no birth or baptismal record could I find) based on census record info and death record
John Currie baptised 06/04/1792 Bowmore
Margaret Currie baptised 14/09/1794 Bowmore
Florence Currie baptised 17/09/1797 Bowmore

There may be some early 19th century Islay tenant records that recorded Catharine's father James Livingston as a tenant in the Bowmore area.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Carol,

Among the tenants in 1828 on the Island of Islay at Bowmore there was your ancestor Gilbert Currie, a couple of John Curries one of which could be the brother of Gilbert and a Donald McNiven and a John McNivan possibly cousins of Catharine on her mother's side. That was the name of Catharine Currie's death record, maiden name of her mother "McNiven".

regards,

Donald
casa

Post by casa »

Thankyou! That information has been invaluable. May I ask which search tool you are using as I haven't been able to find that information?
Do you think it worthwhile to continue with gilbert and catherine and parents as I am having so much trouble with the missing records of Bowmore, or to try to research their children, especially Catherine who I know married a Mcdougall? The Bowmore census seems to indicate that she got married between 1841 and 1851 and also became a widow between that time as well. Also her sister Mary probably married during that time as she is on the 1841 census but is missing from the 1851 census.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Carol,

I may find Catharine's father James Livingston in a tenant record for Islay residents around the time of her marriage to Gilbert Currie. There were a couple of Currie including Gilbert and a John possibly his brother John, a couple of McNivens and one Livingston listed as tenants in 1828 at Bowmore. I think however that one of the earlier tenant lists a decade or so prior to that if I find them again will give us a better sense of the Livingstons, McNivens and Curries at Bowmore closer to when Catharine and Gilbert wed. There were a number tenant lists recorded on the Isle of Islay. As my Livingston ancestor lived on the Isle of Islay for a time prior to 1812 and was married there before moving on I am interested in taking a closer look at these lists. I will get back to you when I find the earlier lists if I do.

familysearch.org is a good place to start your search. Scotlandspeople (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/) [Kyle: corrected link] as I mentioned before offers a searchable database and for a fee you can view the original documents which is very handy. Of course you will have the challenge of figuring out which Currie is the son or daughter Gilbert and Catharine. There were lots and lots of Curries that lived on Islay i have found. One of these Islay Curries came to Canada on board the Robert Taylor with my ancestor Miles Livingston and his wife Janette Livingston who were married at Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish a year after your ancestors in June of 1812 before taking off to Canada a few days later. .

regards
casa

Post by casa »

Hi! Thank you again. Have been sidetracked tonight and have been looking up the Islay history - Fascinating that it goes back so far. Casa
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Carol,

Yes Islay has an interesting history. If you ever make a trip to Scotland in search of your ancestors the Island of Islay is most definitely a place you want to go in search of your roots.
regards,
Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Carol,

Regarding the Children of Gilbert Currie and Katharine Livingston some of the baptismal records survive from the Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish records, Isle of Islay:
Peggy Currie 09/02/1812, Hugh Currie 04/01/1814, Margaret Currie 02/05/1818, Mary Currie 19/10/1822
All baptised at Bowmore, Islay
I realize this may be incomplete and there is not explanation why is both a Peggy baptised in 1812 and a Margaret in 1822. Peggy and Margaret are usual the same name.
casa

Post by casa »

Hi again Donald!
I have a vague remembrance that I was told that Peggy died young and they called another daughter Margaret to keep the name going as Gilbert's mother was a Margaret Currie but was always called Peggy. This margaret/Peggy nickname still runs in our family today.
I noticed that there is a Catherine b: 1820, who is on the 1841 census as daughter and then on the 1851 census as catherine Mcdougall, daughter, widow.I have not been able to find marriage entry as yet but I did find an interesting entry of a Catherine Mcdougall Currie, mother to John Currie b: 03 June 1860 as I was looking through marriages to see if maybe Catherine (widow) remarried.Maybe she had a daughter before being widowed and named her Catherine.
I found another interesting entry of a Mary Currie marrying a Peter McDougall 2 feb, 1843, Kilmore and Kilbride. Peter's parents were Archibald McDougall and Margaret Sinclair. Wondering if this is Gilbert and Catherine's daughter Mary, sister to widow Catherine who married an unnamed Mcdougall. I don't think it was that unusual for siblings from one family to marry siblings from another. It actually happened further down our line when two Curries married two Livingstones. One marriage kept the Currie name going and the other changed it back to Livingstone again.
Have not been able to find anything for Margaret as yet other than she was baptised, 02 may,1818, Bowmore.
Casa