Malcolm Livingstone - Salem Mass.

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Malcolm Livingstone - Salem Mass.

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

Wow you really did track this Malcolm Livingstone down following the paper trail that he left behind all the way from Masschusetts to his final years in Mt. Vernon, New York State. What a particulary tragic end for Malcolm to be hit by a train. You would think a steam train would be pretty hard not to see or hear coming.It it interesting but somewhat sad going through death records of ancestors and their kin and seeing what types of illnesses and accidents led their death. I had one farmer ancestor drown himself in his well.
regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Yes this was a sad ending for Malcolm. One of the witnesses stated he knew him and that Malcolm was hard of hearing and that he was walking with his head down and appeared to be deep in thought. The engineer said he did blow the whistle several times but apparently Malcolm didn't hear it. It is so strange for a man who spent his life traveling on the ocean to be killed by a train.
Just as one of your relatives died in his own well, just unbelievable how these things could happen.

I guess another unanswered question for Malcolm Livingston is was he born in Maine as the 1850 and 1880 census and also in the investigation of his accidental death stated. Or the other documents that stated he was born in Massachusettes.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Well that is an interesting development. Hmm? Glad you noticed. I wonder if Barry has any thoughts on the Massacusetts or Maine birthplace for Malcolm. And oddly enough if I am not mistaken there is a Salem Maine as well as a Salem Massachusetts.
regards,
Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I guess it's not a major problem as I think Barry has definately proved who the parents are of Malcolm Livingston. It's just that his birth place seems to be either Maine or Massachusettes. In the Cemetery records for Malcolm it states he was born Mass.and also in the census 1850 census ,In the 1870 & 1880 census it states place of birth Maine, and in the In the investigation of the Death of Malcolm being hit by the train a witness and friend said Malcolm was born in Portland, Maine, and I believe one of the documents Barry found it states he was born Maine. I can't remember what was said about John & sarah Livingston, did they go back to Prince Edward Island after Malcolms birth in the U.S.?

Jewel
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I don't remember when Maine became its own State, but there may also be some confusion regarding that? Since before that date, Maine was part of Massachusetts? It may be that some people were extrapolating back, assuming he was born in what was then Massachusetts? Or it could just be plain old genealogical confusion, which is certainly rampant enough!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Massachusetts went on to become the sixth state of the Union in 1788.
New Hampshire became a state in June of 1788 and was the ninth state within the original 13 colonies to become ratified in the United States.
The state of Vermont joined the Union in 1791 and was the 14th state.
So, when did Maine become a state exactly? On March 15, 1820, Maine became a state.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi all,

Perhaps given that as Greg has pointed out Maine became a state in 1820 then perhaps Malcolm who was born before 1820 was actually born in Massachusetts or a part of Massachusetts that later became a part of Maine in 1820. I am not sure that is the case however. Anyways Im sure this will get sorted out eventually.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald et al;

In 1820 as part of the Missouri Compromise, the Territory of Maine, formerly a part of Massachusetts, was admitted to the Union as a State. Today, New England is always defined as co-extensive with the six States of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Yes I am suspecting that that part of the north part of old Massachusetts becoming the State of Maine in 1820 might explain the confusion from Malcolm's information. It is certainly a possibility to consider. According to the old lodge book published in 1864 that Barry found a while ago now, Malcolm was born in 1814 in Townshend,Maine which would have been have a part of Massachussetts at the time of his birth.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Wow

You guys really did get his number! Now hopefully in the future we will have someone looking for the roots of this family and we will have it. I still do not have one Livingston relative from this family that I know of. This undoubtedly will get the better of me and I will have to do more research on this family and find his descendents. Interestingly it would have been very hard for Malcolm''s family to trace his roots from the other direction since we stumbled upon that Essex book and the reference to his parents.

Donald you had made a statement about Alexander being the brother of Malcolm. I can't quite prove that, but it would certainly make sense. There definitely is a connection there and it is likely a son of John or a brother of Malcolm. There was no mention of Alexander in Sarah's will, but that would explain who Joseph's father was and why Sarah left a considerable part of her estate to him. So a scenario is that Alexander died and John and Sarah came from Maine back PEI to raise Joseph. Maybe even just Sarah came back if John died in Maine. Does anyone have any death records from Maine? I'm suspicious that John may have died there instead of PEI.

Great work everyone
Barry