Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario Livingstons

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
alexanderlivingstone

Re: Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario Livingstons

Post by alexanderlivingstone »

Hi, I hope it is proper to resurrect threads. If not I appologise. I lost access to my old ID alexlivingstone and its email address. I recently created alexanderlivingstone with a healthy email, so to clarify I am the same person from the Nottawasaga/Simcoe Livingstones.

As it turns out my Uncle Robert Livingstone, who for years has done the leg work for our family geneology, has lost most of his vision. I am happily trying to pickup where he has left off.

With his information, and the information from this site provided by Donald, Jewel and Roberta for the other threads got us to:

Alexander Livingstone b. 1814 - 1897 Bowmore, Kilarrow, Argylshire and Flora Lamont b. 1820 - 1873 Bowmore, Kilarrow, Argylshire

I'm not sure when they arrived in Nottawasaga Simcoe County, but death records show they occupied Lot 38, Con 12. So far I am happy with that information, but I am eager to learn who Alexander Livingstones parents were.

I was poking around the internet and came across Parochial Registers of Baptisms 17-63 Co of Argyll Bowmore & Kilarrow - Parish #536 - Microfilm #1041078 On this list there are many names and one that I am interested in is

Livingston, James & McIntyre, Margt - Gartmein - Alex 3 Feb 1814

Now I am not sure what Gartmein is but I think Alex is the child and the date that follow is the baptism date. Is there anyway to verify if this child Alex is my ancestor? Sorry about the lengthy post and thanks for considering it.

Alex Livingstone
Barrie, Ontario
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Alex,
Sorry to hear about your Uncle Robert's situation. I am glad however that he was able to make some progress on his Livingstone family history before his sight became a problem. I also appreciate Robert's information which expanded my own understanding of 19th settlement of highland Livingstons from Islay into Simcoe County in the 1830's. If you talking to him say hello for me. Its been a while so i need to refresh my memory regarding you and your Uncle RObert's ancestral line but it should be here in previous forum discussions. I think your Livingstone family arrived in Simcoe County, Upper Canada (Ontario) in the 1830's as did a number of other Island of Islay, Argyllshire Scottish tenants. There was even a village in Simcoe County which went by the name Bowmore for a time I presume because the locals were Scots from Islay. Bowmore is a port town on the isle of Islay. I need to refresh my memory on your specific ancestral line that was earlier discussed here, but shall i shall return.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alexander,
Just to recap your ancestor Alexander Livingston born abt. 1814/1815 on the Island of Islay, Argyllshire was farming a 100 acre lot Con 12 Lot 38 south west of the town of Collingwood by the late 1850's in Nottawasaga township, Simcoe County, Ontario. I did not find any info on when he arrived in Nottawasaga Township or for that matter Simcoe County, but other Livingstons and Islay folk first arrived there in the early 1830's, so it is possible he was there earlier than the 1850's. Malcolm Livingston born abt. 1819 who also resided in Nottawasaga Township con. 10 lot 24 but near the village of Duntroon married the sister of Alexander Livingston's wife FLora Lamont and as previously mentioned I suspect that Alexander and Malcolm Livingston of Nottawasaga Township are in fact brother. So two Livingston brothers married two Lamont sisters if I correct who also originated from Islay.

Regarding the suspected parents of Alexander and Malcolm Livingston of Nottawasaga Township. Studying some of the Presbyterian parish records from Islay, I found sure enough that a Neil Livingstone and Catharine Lamont of the Parish of Kilmeny, Islay had two sons Alexander and Malcolm. Alexander was baptized March 18, 1815 and Malcolm on Oct. 27, 1819. There was also a baptisal record in this family I think for a sister that also settled in Nottawasaga Township I think. A number of the scots who settled in Simcoe County in the 1830's originated from both Kilarrow Parish and nearby Kilmeny Parish. The Lamont family of Alexander and Malcolm's wifes was from Kilarrow Parish.

regards,

Donald
alexanderlivingstone

Thanks alot Donald for replying and making things clearer for me once again :D .

I will forsure say hello my Uncle when I speak to him next. I did talk to him on sunday, and he is doing great dispite his set back at 79! I also sent away for a FamilyTree DNA test, which I know Uncle Rob has already contributed his but we thought itd be good to have for my own records. I did make sure I joined the group as well.

Thanks again, Alex
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alexander,
There were in fact a signficant number of scottish families in the lowlands and highlands of Scotland in the 1800's with the name Livingston or Livingstone, some related and some not, so by participating in the Clan dna project, ultimately in time we will develop a better understanding of whom is related to who and perhaps the origins of these families in earlier times. We also are learning where they settled after they left Scotland from their family history info in many cases. I myself have learned that more than one Livingston family from Islay settled in Simcoe County apparently in the 1830's or thereabouts. With your Uncle not well, it does sound like a great idea for you to continue your family's participation in the project. If you have any questions Andrew Lancaster or Kyle McLea coordinators of Clan Maclea Livingstone's familytree dna project experts can help to answer them.

I should have also mentioned that the19th century Ontario Census records indicated that Alexander and Malcolm Livingston of Nottawasaga Township were born around 1814/1815 and 1819 respectively in Scotland so I took that into account when comparing this Ontario info with the baptisal records of an Alexander and Malcolm Livingston the children of Neil Livingston and Catharine Lamont of Kilmeny Parish, Islay. I would have recheck the info I think I had this Alexander Livingston of Kilmeny Parish and his parents at the time of his 1815 baptism at a Storkaig, Kilmeny Parish, Isle of Islay, Argyllshire. The spellings sometime vary in these old records and with villages in gaelic, so I dont know for certain if that is correct spelling or if this village even still exists.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alexander,
I know youve seen this in the past but it is a bit of a refresher for my memory regarding what I had located earlier regarding all of the Islay Livingstons residing in Nottawasaga Township in the 1800's
Canadian Livingstone wrote:The 1861 Census for Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County indicates two Livingston householders born in the early 1800's and one elder Livingston householder born in the 1790's who was a Schooteacher. From the Cemetery records I discovered that both Malcolm and Alex's descendant married Lamont sisters. And more reason to wonder if Malcolm and ALexander were brothers themselves.This seems to be the case. So many questions that need to be answered. Oh well I like a challenge. By the way Malcolm Livingston and his wife Mary Lamont are buried at Duntroon.Simcoe County,Ontario in the Pioneer cemetery there and ALex's ancestor ALexander Livingston born abt. 1815 aaccording to the 1891 Census and his his wife FLora Lamont is buried in West Nottawasaga Presbyterian Cemetery. I would like to also look Alexander and Malcolm's death record.

Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County Livingstons

Malcolm Livingston born abt. 1819 Islay, Argyllshire, Scotland died March 6,1904 Nottawasaga Township. Buried Duntroon Pioneer Cemetery, Nottawasaga Township
Mary (Lamont) born abt. 1825 died Feb. 7,1899 Nottawasaga Township, Buried Duntroon Pioneer Cemetery
Mary Livingston b. abt. 1857 or 1858 in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County, Ontario
Donald Livingston b. abt. 1860 or 1861 in Nottawasaga Township
Neil Livingston b. abt. 1863
Catharine Livingston b. abt. 1865

Donald Livingston b. abt. 1796 schooteacher at Duntroon (See 1861 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe COunty Census)

In a different part of Nottawasaga Township near Collingwood,Ontario
Alexander Livingston born abt. 1814 or 1815 Islay,Argyllshire, Scotland died Feb.28,1897 Nottawasaga Township Simcoe County. Buried West Nottawasaga Pioneer Cemetery
Flora age b. 1820 or 1823, Kilarrow Parish,Islay, died September 21,1873 Nottawasaga Township,Simcoe County,Ontario. Buried West Nottawasaga Pioneer Cemetery. daughter of Sunnidale Township,SImcoe County pioneer Samuel Lamont of Kilarrow Parish, Islay.

Children of Alexander Livingston and Flora Lamont
Catharine Livingston b. May 8,1845 Nottawasaga Township died Oct.19,1929 m. Duncan McGillveray Dec 26,1861 Nottawasaga Township
Neil b. abt. 1846 married Jane Arbuthnot June 15,1872 Collingwood,Ontario
Angus b. abt. 1849 m. Elizabeth McDermid
Archibald born abt. 1850 m. Margaret McDermid Feb.17,1875 or March 15,1880 Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County
Samuel born abt. 1853
Malcolm born abt. 1855
Anne age born abt. 1860 died April 22,1917 married Jack Marr April 28,1915
Flora and Mary Lamont are sisters daughters of Samuel Lamont born in Kilarrow Parish, Islay

Now oddly enough there is an Alexander Livingston baptised March 18,1815 Storkaig, Kilmeny Parish Isle of Islay and by strange coincidence he had a brother named Malcolm baptised October 27 1819. This Alexander and Malcolm were the sons of Neil Livingston and Catharine Lamond or Lamont of Kilmeny Parish. No marriage record for them.Now I would think that this could be the parents of the ALexander and Malcolm of Nottawasaga Township but I am still not certain how that Donald Livingston from the 1790's connects with Malcolm and would like to do some more research on these two Livingston families in Nottawasaga before coming to any final conclusions. Kinda a work in progress for the time being. This one as you can see is a bit tricky and I want to avoid jumping to any conclusions regarding ALex or Malcolm's parentage. I am pretty certain they are all from the Island of Islay and connected one way or another to settler influx from the Isle of Islay, Scotland that commenced in 1833/1834 to Simcoe County, Ontario. So in regard to Alex Livingstons original question as where his ancestors came from I am almost completely his Livingston family roots at least from the late 1700's early 1800s are with Livingstons that lived an worked on the Island of Islay. Before that though it would be difficult to trace they likely originated like my Islay Livingstons from Mull or Morvern in Argyllshire.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex,
I would imagine there are still a few Livingstons/livingstones in the Simcoe County region some related to you and others connected to the Medonte Township Livingston family of the other Islay pioneer Alexander Livingston who was married to a Flora Gilchrist.I am sure that sooner or later the two pioneer Alexander Livingstons from Islay residing in Simcoe County in the early 1800's will get mixed up by family researchers. This other Alexander Livingston was from Kilarrow parish also sometimes referred to as Bowmore Parish on the Isle of Islay.

My ancestor Miles Livingston was born 1775 in Morvern, Argyllshire but was married in June of 1812 at the old Bowmore Presbyterian Round Church at the port of Bowmore in Kilarrow Parish which dates from the 1700's and it is still standing. Kilmeny Parish and Kilarrow Parish are adjacent to one another on the isle of islay. Some Livingstons I have found from my Islay research seem to have been residing on Islay since the early 1700's while others migrated to Islay from other parts of Argyllshire in the late 1700's in search of work. Islay at this time had a thriving whiskey industry and my Livingston ancestor a boat maker/barrel maker/carpenter and may have found work for a time here making whiskey barrels.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Alex & Donald,

Gartmain is Gartmain Farm, a short distance from Bowmore.

James Livingstone & Margaret McIntyre had a daughter, Margaret, christened 14 Aug 1815.

James Livingstone & Christian McFaddin, had daughter Isobel, christened at Gartmain, 09 Mar. 1806, & a son William 15 Sept. 1808.

Possibly James married twice, hope this is of some use to you,

John
alexanderlivingstone

Thanks Donald and John. Yes that definitely satisfies my interest in what Gartmain is.

Thanks, Alex
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alex and John,
I think I still lean towards ALexander born abt. 1814/1815 being the son of Neil Livingston and Catharine Lamont of Kilmeny Parish Islay. An Alexander Livingston born abt. 1814/1815 and Malcolm Livingston born abt. 1819 from Islay settled in Nottawasaga Township, Simcoe County Ontario and an Alexander baptised 1815 and his brother Malcolm Livingston baptised 1819 are recorded in the Kilmeny Parish records being the children of Neil livington and Catharine Lamont. Both Alexander and Malcolm Livingston of Nottawasaga married two sisters from Islay daughters of Samuel Lamont who settled in Simcoe County in the early 1830s; with other Islay families. Samuel and his daughters FLora who married Alexander and Mary who married Malcolm were from Kilarrow Parish or Bowmore Parish as it was sometimes referred to as. Lamont was a well known family from Islay. There seems to have been alot of Livingston and Lamont marriages. The other thing of interest is that Alexander and Flora's eldest son born in the 1840's was named Neil born in Canada, not absolute proof but often the eldest son in a scottish family in the 19th century was frequently named after the father's father.

regards,

Donald