Duncan Livingston, slate quarrier at Balvicar

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
jmlivingstone

Re: Duncan Livingston, slate quarrier at Balvicar

Post by jmlivingstone »

Sandra,

I have just double checked on Google, there is actually a house called Barr Aille on the east side of the road at the location where Dallermaig appears to have been located, there is a larger house a short distance back towards Oban.

No idea why this house did not show the last time I looked, probably I was too impatient to wait for it to load properly, the link below should take you to the location.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces? ... 4&t=h&z=19,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
This is terrific. Thanks for the sleuthing on the search for old Dallermaig.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Sandra/Donald,

The link below will get you to The Gazetteer of Scotland, which includes old maps of Argyllshire, including Dallermaig.

http://www.scottish-places.info/

John
smcairnx

Post by smcairnx »

Good Day,

I am taking advanatge of the Jubilee Holiday here in the UK to do some family tree research.

I have been focusing this morning on Barbara Livingston possible sister of Duncan, the slate quarrrier at Balvicar.

She is living with Duncan and his family in the 1841 census in Balvicar Village, Isle of Seil. As Donald has previously pointed out, 1861 sees her in Cullipool Village on the Isle of Luing. Her occupation is listed as former domestic servant. The 1871 census sees her at Easdale 28 living on her own. Balvicar is given as her birth place.

Donald had suggested that she died between 1871 and 1881 - searching on Scotland's people yielded a Barbara Livingston who died on 27th July 1879 in the Poorhouse in Oban. Her age is given as 80. Census records suggest a date of birth around 1794-96 but the Poorhouse may have just estimated her age. Her parents are given as Donald Livingston Sailor and Sarah Clark.

This could be a step forward in tracing the roots of Duncan Livingston but it is based on two assumptions - a) the Barbara living with Duncan in 1841 is his sister and b) the death certificate from 1879 is the same Barbara.

I think that the later is reasonable as a search of census records in Kilbrandon & Kilchatten suggest that there was only one Barbara of this age.

Regards

Sandra
smcairnx

Post by smcairnx »

I have since found that Donald and Sarah were married in 1891. If Duncan was born to them after this date that would make him rather young to be the mother of Mary born in 1805. There is always the possibility tht Duncan was born before his parents were married in the church. Alternatively could Duncan and Barbara be cousins rather than siblings or perhaps half-siblings with Duncan born to a diiferent mother ? And there is always the possibility that Duncan & Barbara weren't related - but then why was Barbara staying with Duncan in 1841.

As if often the case with family tree searching - more questions than definite answers.

Sandra
Margaret Stewart

Post by Margaret Stewart »

Hi Sandra

Firstly Barbra was Duncan's sister. I found this in the Kilbrandon Kirk Session Records when she was brought before the session for having an illegitimate child. She in turn claimed that Archibald McCallum of Oban Seil was the father and claimed that he had acknowledged her to be his lawful wife in presence of witnesses. Their "criminal connexion" (sic) started in May 1825 in her brother's house at Balyvicar and that her brother's wife and eldest son had been witnesses to their sleeping together. (I can send you a copy if you PM me your address)

Her death record does indeed state that her parents were Donald Livingston and Sarah Clerk but like you I had doubts about them being the parents of our Duncan. However there was a Duncan Livingston and an Isabel Clerk in Kilninver who had a son, Duncan, in 1772 which seems much more likely. Also the family names co-incide with ours. Again though, I would want more proof before I take them as the parents.

I have misplaced a whole file of records (including information I had gathered for Donald about the Breadalbane rentals) but I am hopeful of finding time to go through everything this week. Barbra's death record must be amongst them and I cannot remember who registered her death. It's not unusual for the parent's names to be wrong depending on who registered the death.

So far as Dalmaig/Alt Dallermaig etc. there is no house still standing with that name. I had a word with one of the gardeners at Ardmaddy and he said there had been two settlements consisting of a few cottages in each which lay south of Ardmaddy Castle but which no longer exist. While there I took some photographs of Ardmaddy Castle as well as the building behind the castle which housed the carriages and the bothy (for servants or gardeners?) I'll forward them to Kyle for the gallery.

The present owner of the house is interested in the historical background of the house so I left my email address with the gardener but I haven't had any response. Incidently while chatting to the gardener he told me it was usual for staff to come from Seil or Easdale by boat - it was much quicker and easier than by road.

Regards

Margaret
smcairnx

Post by smcairnx »

Margaret,

Thanks for this - it is good to known that Barbara is Duncan's sister. I have sent a PM with email - a copy of the account would be great.

I downloaded Barabara's death certificate yesterday along with the OPR of Duncan and Sarah's marriage. The OPR tell us that Duncan was working as a quarrier in C** (can't make it out) and that Sarah was the daughter of John Clerk tenant in A**(can't make it out).

Barbara's death was registered by the gatekeeper (presumably of the poor house). He made his mark rather than signing it. Orginally the maiden surname of Sarah was given as not known but this was scored out and Clerk was entered, so it is possible that the information is not completely accurate.

Best wishes

Sandra
Margaret Stewart

Hi Sandra

From the OPR pf Donald Livingston to Sarah Clerk I think Donald was a slate quarrier in Cullipool in the parish ot Kilchattan (Luing) and Sarah daughter of John Clerk tenant in Ardnahua which was a township in Kilninver. If you look at the map http://canmoremapping.rcahms.gov.uk/ and reduce the size you will see where it is in relation to Kilninver and Clachan Seil. If that link doesn't work Google Ardnahua and Royal Commision on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.

In Barbara's death certificate it states that Donald was a sailor - another pointer that the information of parents was suspect. Not unusual, I have to say, in these circumstances. Not sure what it says in the upper left hand corner of the certificate. Only thing I can think of is that its verifying the correction.

Margaret
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

I just came across the following information for Cullipool, which may, or may not be relevant to previous research, I've got a vague memory of James' death being listed previously as 1939;

1. Death of James livingstone, occ. slate quarrier, married to Annie May, res. 8, Fladda Cottages, Cullipool, Luing. Date of death 26 Aug. 1959, age 75, death registered by Colin McInnes, nephew. Parents, Donald Livingstone, slate quarrier & Ann McNab.

2. Death of Duncan Livingstone, occ. farmer, retired, married to Jean Campbell, res. Green Gardens, Cullipool. Date of death 29 July 1959, age 83, death registered by Archibald Campbell, son-in-law.
Parents, Dugald Livingstone, occ. blacksmith & Mary Ann Clark.

John
Margaret Stewart

Hi John

Thanks for that. Sorry I'm just getting back to you but with Christmas fast approaching my days are becoming quite hectic.

1. Death of James livingstone, occ. slate quarrier, married to Annie May, res. 8, Fladda Cottages, Cullipool, Luing. Date of death 26 Aug. 1959, age 75, death registered by Colin McInnes, nephew. Parents, Donald Livingstone, slate quarrier & Ann McNab.[/i]

(1.) Yes James is one of mine and I have his death certificate. Incidentally a few years back while on Luing I bumped into a couple that I knew from home and they were holidaying in the family home that had been passed down to him - 8 Fladda Cottages!! I could hardly believe it. Unfortunately we were not related in any way.

2. Death of Duncan Livingstone, occ. farmer, retired, married to Jean Campbell, res. Green Gardens, Cullipool. Date of death 29 July 1959, age 83, death registered by Archibald Campbell, son-in-law.
Parents, Dugald Livingstone, occ. blacksmith & Mary Ann Clark.

(2.) Not one of mine so far as I know (yet). I recognise the names but that's probably because I've been trawling through the records on and off since 1995.

Hope you have a happy Christmas and a healthy and peaceful 2014.

Kind regards

Margaret