Duncan Livingston, slate quarrier at Balvicar

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Duncan Livingston, slate quarrier at Balvicar

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill,

That is an interesting story about Breadalbane. The 1920's. There were alot of fortunes lost in 1929 with the stock market crash as well. History repeats itself. The world appears to be stuck in unstable economic times once again. Heard alot about the Great Depression of the 1930's from my parents. Glad I missed it.

I'm sorry Jill. I forgot about your Isle of Luing Livingston connection. Yet another of our clan whose family lived on one of the slate islands in Argyllshire.

Giving Dr. Livingstone a break for the upcoming issue of the newsletter. Did something a little different for the next issue. I am reminded however that next year is 200th anniversary of Dr. Livingstone's birth so I must get back at it.

I had this great idea I wanted to tell you about regarding writing a screenplay for a future film on the life of Bonnie Prince Charlie. Probably a lifetime project that will never get finished for a film that will never get made. All these ideas came to me recently as to how approach a story on his life portraying both his strengths and weaknesses.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi John,

I was just replying to Donald who remarked that the Earls of Breadalbane must have been large landowners, as indeed they were. I thought that he might be interested as to just how big and what happened to their lands and fortune.

Donald: I look forward to seeing your new article in the next issue of Parnassus.

Jill
Jill Richmond
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Margaret,

I've come across some info on Ancestry that may, or may not, be your Duncan b. Greenock,

They have a John Livingstone b. abt.1786, place of birth not listed, he had a son Neil b. abt. 1818, who married a Janet, no surname listed, but b. abt. 1822.

Neil & Janet had son Duncan b. abt. 1846 @ Greenock, but no mention of an Alexander.

Duncan married a Mary, b. abt.1847 in England, again no surname listed.

1871 census for Scotland, has Duncan & Mary resident at 6, Dock St., Anderston, Glasgow, occ. blacksmith. Family, Margaret Jane - 3, Flora - 2, Daniel - 1.

1881 census for England, has them resident 6, Hibernia St., Hartlepool, Durham. Family, Flora - 13, Daniel - 10, Rapham (a daughter) - 8, Catherine - 6, Claus - 4, Duncan - 2, Matthew - 5 months.

Thornaby, Yorkshire, is also mentioned as a residence in 1881.

John
Margaret Stewart

Post by Margaret Stewart »

Hi John

Thanks for looking for me but my Neil's father was Duncan. Because this is my direct line I worked it backwards using original records so I am certain that what I have is accurate. I suspect Duncan's birth about 1845 (my Gt Grandfather) was not registered as his father's birth had not been registered either but I managed to get the information from marriage certificates. Neil did marry a Janet Cameron but by 1881 they were living in Lochgilphead.

I have come across some dodgy trees on the net and I think a lot of it has to do with the same names being carried down through the generations. All my male Livingstons are Donald, Duncan, John, Alexander,Archibald, Coll, Adam, Neil, with female names being Catherine, Isabella, Mary, Jane/Janet/Jessie/Jeanie etc and Margaret with quite a few Euphemia's being carried down from Effy McInnnes, wife of Duncan, the slate quarrier from Balvicar. Thank goodness it didn't extend downtill the time I was born!

Thanks again
Margaret
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,
To all our Scottish friends.
If anyone is visiting Seil and Luing in the near future there is a Luing History Group which has resource material pertaining to the Isle of Luing and probably Seil as well. Of particular interest is the 1730 and 1830 Earl of Breadalbane rental list which includes a list of Macleas/Maconleas residing on the Isle of Luing and Seil in 1730 and in 1830 Maclea/Livingstones/Livingstons. If anyone could make note of the Macleas or McInleas/Mconleas in 1730 on the Isle of Seil and where they were located and Maclea/ Livingstons in the 1830 on the Isle of Seil and share that with us it would greatly appreciated. We have the Luing info but not that of nearby Isle of Seil. The 1730 info will help us to get a better sense of where Maclea/Maconlea Livingstons were living on the Island as early as 1730. \The 1830 information which will probably include Isle of Seil Livingston tenants is also useful. There will only be a few names listed at most.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
CLan Maclea Livingstone Society
Margaret Stewart

Hi Donald

I have emailed the Luing History Group tonight asking for information on the documents they hold and if I can actually order copies before I arrive there next week or will I be required to copy the relevant information myself. Hope it is the former! Will let you know.

Margaret
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Margaret,
If not I think there are probably not many Macleas/ Mconlea/Mconleay and other variations listed in the 1730 list for Seil and Livingstons in the 1840 record for Seil to be transcribed if you have the time.
Thanks for taking the time to contact the Isle of Luing History Group. The Argyll and Bute Archives at Lochgilphead I think also has the 1730/1830 Breadalbane Isle of Luing/Isle of Seil list. Duncan's son Neil Livingstone your ancestor lived at Lochgilphead I think you mentioned.

Have you checked out our Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Website with a detailed Clan History and other related Maclea Livingstone information put together by Baron Niall Livingstone our Clan Chief? There is also Clan Maclea Livingstone related merchandise for sale and information on membership in our Clan Society.

regards,

Donald
Margaret Stewart

Yes Donald,

Neil did live in Lochgilphead. Very early on in my journey into genealogy I spent the day at the Archives in Lochgilphead and the Archivist then was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He has now retired but I've no doubt his successor will be equally helpful. Unfortunately I didn't really know very much other than the names of a couple of generations of maternal and paternal lines so didn't fully take advantage of the visit.

If I do go to Lochgilphead I think I would 'phone first to see what they have on site. I think some of their documents are loaned out to other libraries and heritage centres in Argyll. Hopefully I'll get a positive response from Luing History Group first but if not I'll try the Easdale Museum.

Margaret
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

With regard to the Luing History Group, I found them most helpful when I was looking for info about my family. They published a book, Kilchattan Kirkyard, listing all the graves whose headstones and slabs were still legible, as their burial records had been lost. This was a labour of love, involving about a dozen of their members going round the kirkyard, recording all the details they could find. I am sure the book is still available from the Luing History Group, priced at £12.

Incidentally, when we were there two or three years ago, I took a number of photos of Livingston(e) headstones. If anyone is interested in them I would be pleased to let them have copies. I had never seen so many Livingston headstones all in one burial gound before, or since.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Margaret Stewart

Jill,

I have that book if you want any look-ups.

Margaret