Capt. John Livingston - Kings American Regiment

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Capt. John Livingston - Kings American Regiment

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

John William Livingston 2.pdf
John William Livingston 1.pdf
Hi All

Here are some documents that I need help reading. I think I get the bottom line here in that John William Livingston was turned down on a land grant petition in York, Ontario. I need help with this one though because I'm not sure. If he was turned down, seems to make sense he would contact his old commander on PEI and he gave him a land grant, but this is just speculation. This new search function in Collections Canada is great. I also found another John Livingston who's father was Daniel Livingston who was as well and it specifies Daniel was born in Scotland. I will post his details in a separate thread.

Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Capt. John Livingston - Kings American Regiment

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,
I look forward to reading your documents on Daniel Livingston and family.
Loyalist Daniel Livingston believed to have been of Highland Livingston origin was said to have beem an enlisted man in Frazers Highlanders in the 1750's Unfortunately there is no entry for a Daniel Livingston in the suvivving list from 1762. They were disbanded around 1762 then offered land grants as soldiers in AMerica. Daniel I think received one of these grants in New York and or Vermont area around this time. Like many former highlanders in America, Daniel caught in the dispute between the colonials and the British Government, supported the British in this dispute. As a result of the rebels winning the war, Daniel and several of his sons came up to Upper Canada in the 1780's and petitioned the Crown for land grants and received land grants in what is present day Eastern Ontario. I surprised a while back that someone made the claim that my ancestor who settled in what is present day Winnipeg in 1812 was the earliest "highland" Livingston settler in Canada. Miles subsequently settled in Upper Canada in 1815. Actually Daniel Livingston and his sons who settled in what is today Eastern Ontario has my ancestor Miles beat by about 30 years. There is no definite proof that Daniel was of highland origin, though some have theorized that he originated on the Island of Islay, Argyllshire. As far I know there is no original document stating that he was born in Argyllshire but I suspect that is probably the case. The documents I have not seen is his original petition in AMerica in the early 1760's for a military land grant in what is today New York State or Vermont. Early on Vermont was part of New York State or something like that. I hoping someday to locate some of the original settlement documents from the 1760's in America as a former member of Frasers Highlanders. If would prove without doubt that he served with Frasers Highlanders as has been stated. One of his descendants published a booklet on him and his descendants.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Donald