John Livingstone (1904?)

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: John Livingstone (1904?)

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats great and that fits perfectly with what I just located.
I could not find Alexander Livingston born abt. 1857 and his brother Robert born abt. 1856 born in Dalry but I did find an Alexander Livingston born in 1857 and a Robert born in 1856 who were born in Ardrossan which is historically connected to Dalry parish and I just checked the information for Alexander Livingston born in Ardrossan but I noticed it gave the name of the parents as sure enough James Livingston and Jane McCobbin or McCubbin as near as I could make out Janes last name which on this record was pretty difficult to decifer. It looked like McCobbin or McCubbin but I wasnt certain a half an hour ago until I just got your email message. Mc Cubbin it is. And it gets better. I just checked again the births of Robert Livingston and his wife Margaret Brown in Dalry Parish and found out that Robert of Dalry did indeed have a son James born September 9, 1832 in Dalry Parish . At the time of his sons Alexs birth Jame Livingston is recorded in the birth record from Ardrossan James Livingston is a journeyman and joiner. So I think we have confirmed that Alexander born 1857 and his brother Robert born in 1856 were in fact the Grandsons of RObert Livingston silk weaver and his wife margaret Brown of Dalry Parish and that their father was their son James born in 1832 in Dalry. Its a lucky break actually that there is so much info there to put the pieces together. This is well documented ancestral line and a job well done. Its great that you found and sorted out Alexès family information that has led us to conclude with little doubt who Alexanders parents actually were. Have a good weekend. If you go back farther it was just one family in Dalry and the others are descended from one Livingston who resided there in the 1770s. To link him with other Ayrshire Livingstons farther back I think however would be entering the rhelm of speculation but what we have I think is correct as far back as we were able to go with the Dalry family.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Ive updated your info with mine in that ancestral line I included with my earlier post to you. Also we have the marriage record for the grandparents of Alex. Robert Livingston and Margaret Brown were married May 3, 1828 Dalry Parish, Ayrshire.

regards,
Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

Just turned up another couple of bits of info, not 100% certain about items 2 & 3, but there appears to only have been one Livingstone family in Dalry,
I doubt if anything more will turn up before 1809;

1. On OPR marriage 587/00 0030 0204 Dalry, Margaret Brown is listed as Marg. Braun, marriage date 03 May 1829.

2. The above couple had a son Robert, b.27 July 1834 at Dalry.

3. John Livingstone had a son Robert, b. 05 March 1809 at Dalry.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Robert Livingston and Margaret Brown of Dalry also had a son named Robert as you mentioned, several children actually born in the 1830's in Dalry. Their birth records which I briefly looked at refered to her as Margaret Brown but I also the marriage record had her as Margaret Braun. Robert's death record also refers to him being a widower of Margaret Brown. Not sure why they refered to in the marriage record as Braun except that Braun is german for Brown. Maybe the presbyterian minister was fluent in German. Cant answer that one? Margaret Brown seems to be consistent in the other records Ive seen. Interesting though. These other places mentioned in my post from the old Livington records, Kilbernie, Saltcoats and Arddrosan are also in close proximity to Dalry. Ardrossan where Alexanders birth record states he was born at in 1857 has some historical connection with Dalry and interestingly his census record states he was born in Dalry. The name Robert seems to stick with this Livingston families for a number of generations as does Alexander. And you found the grandfather Robert's 1809 birth record and the whole thing falls into place. I really think we got this one right. The Robert you refer born in the 1830's to Robert Livingston and Margaret Brown was Alexander's uncle.
I dont know the origins of the Ayrshire Livingstons and their parish records commence in the 1720's but I dont if there are earlier records out there linking the Livingstons to Ayrshire earlier that the 1720's. They may have similar origins as the Ulster Livingstons some who may have originated from Ayrshire Scotland in the 1600's but I cant be certain without genealogy dna testing whether the Ulster Livingstons and the Ayrshire Livingstons are related. Just a possibility.
regards,
Donald

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
See the ancestral line posted on page 1 in my message to you. I am taking the family back to John Livingston and Janet Allan who were married in 1800 in Dalry and are mentioned in Robert's 1878 death record and I reasonbly certain without proof that John Livingston who was born in Kilbernie Ayrshire in 1777 to James Livingston of Dalray is the John Livingston father of Robert Livingston born in 1809. Robert's death record verifies John Livingston and Janet Allan were his parents for certain. The James Livingston being John Livingston's father is an educated guess but he is the only Livingston of the right age married in Dalry in 1771 that in my oppinnion could be our Johns father. And he also had a son John born in 1777 I think it was. Anyways you can see the ancestral line as I see it on page 1 in my long message to you.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,

I think we have probably found all the info available on this subject, although, I still have some info to post, which I have already sent to Arran.

I will shortly have much more time to spend on research, I am finishing this contract, & heading back to Scotland permanently,

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,
Your Livingstone related research and insight are greatly appreciated. Glad to hear your coming home. You can a take a Livingston out of Scotland, but you cant take Scotland out of a Livingston.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Great contributions, both of you! Thanks!

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com