Cape George/Mull River Connection

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Cape George/Mull River Connection

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone can enlighten me on why Dougald Livingstone's daughter Catherine, who was born in 1850 in Cape George was married in the Mull River Presbyterian Church? She married James Adams. She is also buried in the 1st Settlers church cemetery near Mabou, Cape Breton with the rest of the Livingstone's from Mull River. All in a row in the cemetery are Mary Livingston (daughter of John Jr.) of Mull River, Catherine Livingston (Cape George) the first wife of James Adams and Catherine Jane Livingston (Daughter of John Jr.) the second wife of James Adams. I must say this is quite a coincidence and it would certainly lead one to believe there is a relation between the Cape George and Mull River Livingstons. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Cape George/Mull River Connection

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,
That is news to me. I knew that an Adam had married a Livingston from Mull River daughter of John Livingston Jr, but I wasnt aware he had been married previously to a Livingston from the Cape George Livingston family. I would have to get out the Mull River information to be sure i have received in the past from Mr. St.Clair but I don't recall seeing that. Interesting.

It would be interesting to know who erected the tombstone for John Livingston Jr. I dont know if you saw it when you visited through the local cemeteries. It appears to have done many years after his death around 1860 and may not be correct. I am pretty certain the stone is not from the 1850's or 1860's and that he died in the latter part of the 1850's or around 1860. He does not appear to be alive in 1861 as Catharine Livingston (Mrs. John Livingston Jr. is recorded in the 1861 Census as a householder in the Mabou/Mull River area rather than her husband John. He was born abt. 1800 in Mull Scotland according to one source, but I am not certain if the age is correct.

regards,

Donald