John Livingstone,Chief Officer of Coastguards

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Burst141

John Livingstone,Chief Officer of Coastguards

Post by Burst141 »

Thanks for having me into the Group. My Grgrgrgr Grandpa was John Livingstone born on July 22,1828 in Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland. At the age of 14 years old he had joined the Royal Navy.In April 1843 as a Mariner he was stationed in Stranaer, Scotland until 1850 on the Harriet RC, Hawk RC,& Wellington RC. In July 1850 he was stationed at Balleycastle Coastguard Station in Ireland.In March 1854 he was on the Royal George Ship the Baltic Fleet & served for 2 years, receiving the Baltic Medal in May 1857 at the Balleycastle CG Station, in Northern Ireland.In 1862 he was promoted to Commissioned Boatman& transferred to Cushendon CGstation in Coleraine, Ireland.In August 1874 he was Chief Btman in charge at Sutton, Dublin, Castletown, Cork & Kilmicheal, Cork Ireland. In 1855 he married Mary Jones & had a family , a girl Margaret born in 1870, son, James in 1868 in Ireland & my gr grandpa John Livingstone, in 1856 in Scotland. He retired in August 1885, he was 57 years old with 42 years of his life on the Seas. He returned to Greenock Scotland in 1885 & lived their until his passing in May 23, 1906. His son John emmigrated to Canada in 1883 & that is where i come in. We have the original death certificate from greenock register, stating his Father was also a John Livingstone a Seaman who married a Christina Black, but my line stops there!My Grandpa often talked about David Livingstone. Any help would be much appreciated.