John Livingston and Helen Cockburn Marriage

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: John Livingston and Helen Cockburn Marriage

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi David,

I found an ancestral error I made. According to John Livingston's death record of 1875 he died in Cranston, Midlothian and his parents were James Livingston and Sarah Wood of Tranent Parish, East Lothian so please note that Alexander Livingston married to Janet mark of Tranent Parish Coal Nuek or Nook were not John's parents but ALexander was his older brother born in 1789 to James Livingston and Sarah Wood. Sorry about that. I have made the necessary corrections.

Please also note that Margaret Stewart included the birth and baptismal information for James Livngstone and Sarah Wood's son JOhn who was born 24th of September 1798 and baptized 4th of October 1798 in Tranent, East Lothian. Please make note of that and that the 1871 Census the last one before John 's death records him as being born abt. 1805 or 1806 but his Cranston Parish, Midlothian County death record in 1875 where he died at the age of 74 years suggests he was born abt. 1801. James occupation before his death seems to have been a baker.

regards,

Donald
Ozlivingstone

Post by Ozlivingstone »

HI

Not sure if this will help. It seems to me that the paper records for the Livingston line have reached a dead end at 1730 with Alexander. Our Livingston YDNA takes the story from the same family tree a little further back to LIvage and Livingstone into the 1600's in the Glammis Forfar area. Just odrered the Big y 700. It would help if we had a few other livingstones do the same thing. Happy to collaborate.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Oz,

Back in 2016, David I think noticed an online family tree from geni site which linked an ancestor of the Tranent Livingstone to the Stirlingshire Livingston line of Robert Livingston of Bedlormie whose son Alexander Livingston succeeded Robert's brother William upon William death. This Alexander Livingston son of Robert Livingston of Bedlormie was born in 1736 and upon his Uncle William's death succeeded him as Sir Alexander Livingstone of Bedlormie and Westquarter and Bedlormie. However the geni family tree info seems to be incorrect in that Sir Alexander Livingstone's son James actually died in infancy and Alexander does not appear to be the ancestor of the Tranent Livingston family line mentioned from time to time in this forum, as can be seen in greater detail E.B. Livingston's book " The Livingstons of Callendar" which in great detail lists what I suspect are the correct family trees of the old Calendar Livingstons and later Bedlormie and Westquarter Livingstons.

Interestingly enough I managed to find eventually and original copy of this book and it has proved to be quite helpful a year or more ago when I contacted by lady from England whose grandparents were of the old Fenton family known to be related to last of the Westquarter Livingstons. Unfortunately she has had no knowledge of living Livingston kin or Livingston cousins related to her old Livingston Fenton family. This is the closest I have actually come to finding a documented descendant of the old aristocratic Westquarter Livingston family and a descendant of some of the Callendar Lord Livingstons. Unfortunately I did not come up with a Livingston related to her to do the Y DNA test.

I don't know that there any "proven" Livngstons of Callendar Livingston ancestry who have been tested though I suspect there could possibly be some for example Livngstons with suspected ancestral connection to Robert Livingston an early landowner in colonial New York believed to be a descendant of the old Callendar Livingston family. Many of his Livingston descendants became prominent persons later in New York State and involved in the Government.

Since 2004 I have helped many Livingstons of both highland and Lowland Livingston ancestry with their genealogy research projects and encourage many of them to participate in the familytreedna project. Most of those who I have worked with are of Western Argyllshire Maclea Livingstone ancestry like myself, but I have also worked with other Livingstons of Scottish and Ulster ancestry who don't have any family information, parish or census records linking them with Western Argyllshire and the highland Maclea Livingstones.

I noticed that Familytreedna has that new SNP test you mentioned. Unfortunately as in the case of the Big 500 test it is probably quite pricey. Fortunately they do have sales from time to time. But yes I would definitely encourage those who want to go one step further in their DNA testing and want to identify their SNP's to go with either the 500 or 700 SNP test.

ALthough there aren't any titled Callendar or Westquarter Livingstons anymore I always thought that someday I might find a Livingston who I could prove was definitely and ancestor the Callendar Stirlingshire Livingstons but so far the closest was a lady in England whose ancestors in the 1700's were Westquarter Livingstons for certain.

regards,

Donald
Gary.Livingston

Post by Gary.Livingston »

I might be. My name is Gary Livingston. I have a direct descendent, Gilbert Livingston, who is directly descended from the 4th Lord Livingston of Callendar House. Gilbert is an uncle to Phillip Livingston who signed the Declaration of Independence.
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Gary, welcome to the forum. You mention possibly being interested in the DNA project. I would encourage you to contact any of the DNA monitors, myself, or any other Clan MacLea officer with any questions you might have. If you are near any Scottish festivals, you might stop in and talk with the various clans about how their DNA projects work which will be similar to ours. Also, for example, I go to almost all of the festivals along the Front Range in Colorado and will be in Estes Park this weekend for the festival there.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Gary,
Sorry I have been busy lately and did not notice your response to my earlier posting.
Thanks for responding to my quest for possible Livingston descendants of Livingstons of Dutchess, Columbia or Albany County Livingston ancestry who may be connected to a New York State family Livingston family branch connected to Robert Livingston of Livingston Manor thought to be descended from the old titled Callendar LIvingstons of Stirlingshire, Scotland. Having made contact with a lady in England who I helped trace her family through documentation and prove she was definitely descended from the last of the 18th century Westquarter Livingstons descended from the oLd Callendar Livingstons of Stirlingshire got me motivated to try to locate more New York State Livingstons who might be connected to Robert Livingston of Livingston Manor or some of his later descendants and Livingston kin if possible. Appreciate very much you leaving a response.

Would it be possible to share your known Livingston ancestral line with the Clan Maclea Livingstone Forum for example your Livingston grandfather, great-grandfather, great-great grandfather Livingston etc and their wives as far back as you can go with your paternal Livingston family line connected to New York State and before that Colonial New York if you can go that far back. Also the town and County in New York State for each ancestor would be helpful.

Also you should think about doing a Y chromosome DNA test with Familytreedna.
As Clan Commissioner Greg Livingston has recommended you should consider DNA testing which is quite popular these days as a means to help establish which Livingston family you most closely match and to familiarize yourself with those Livingstons who may be close genetic matches with you and therefore to some degree either close, relatively close or more distantly matching with your DNA results.

Many of us associated with Clan Maclea Livingston who are Livingstons are who have Livingston cousins have participated with Familytreedna and the Y Chromosome test for Livingstons. In the last 15 years there has been a significant number of Livingstons worldwide who have been tested via Familytreedna including some Livingstons of New York State Livingston origins who have family information linking them to Robert Livingston of Livingston Manor and his later descendants. Obviously the more Livingstons of New York State origin tested will be welcome additions to those already tested and identified in this specific Livingston group. If you are interested in DNA testing, Familytreedna has a Y Chromosome 67 marker test from time to time they have promotional sales with significant discounts on their 67 marker which I would recommend as it tests a good number of your DNA markers 67 for a better sense of who your closest Livingston matches are in the DNA project. Here is some info on the Y chromosome tests and below that the recent November Thanksgiving discounts available from Familytreedna for their Y chromosome 111Y test which is a little more exacting than 67 marker test I would imagine either the 67 marker test or the 111 test are available for a while in November discounted.
https://www.familytreedna.com/products/y-dna

https://www.familytreedna.com/products/y-dna#/compare

It is nice hearing from you and if you are able to provide your Livingston ancestral line generation by generation as mentioned it may help me get some idea your of Livingston family connection to Gilbert Livingston and/or the other historically known New York State Livingstons. I assume that you are ancestrally connected to one of the sons of Gilbert Livingston 1690-1746 and Cornelia Beekman, Uncle and Aunt of the signer of the U.S. Constitution Phillip Livingston you mentioned and who lived in Ulster County, NY or neighbouring Dutchess County NY. I was wondering if you were descended from Robert Gilbert Livingston b.1713 or his brother Henry Livingston b.1714. A number of Gilbert's son died young or never married apparently so I was thinking that you might be descended from either Robert Gilbert or Henry Livingston who were married.

https://archive.org/details/livingstons ... og/page/n6

http://iment.com/maida/familytree/henry ... rnelia.htm

regards,

Donald