Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary, Morvern

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary, Morvern

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

Spring is here and what better time to do a major spring cleanup of Livingstone research notes. And with any luck I will find the Cape Breton Livingstone research notes and documents I put away somewhere a year or more ago. Been a busy month in terms of Livingstone research beyond the Forum. Major Livingstone multitasking at the moment as a significant research breakthough in the Cape Breton Livingstone families research has occurred this week as well as I am also in the process of finishing up an article on another Livingstone topic for the Clan Society Newsletter.
In the course of sorting some old Livingstone document files I found this bit that I had intended to include in an article on Donald Livingstone (1728-1816) of Savary Movern, several years ago now, but must of filed it away and forget about it. This was written by Norman Macleod in the 1800's. The Macleod family lived in Morvern Parish in the 1700's and 1800's and one of them was a minister there and the family were well acquainted with Donald Livingstone, Savary, Morvern's local Jacobite veteran of 1745 Rebellion who at the Battle of Culloden serving in the Appin Regiment with Bonnie Prince Charlies forces and who rescued the fallen Appin Regiment banner from field of battle and returned it to the Appin. In the years after Culloden, he was a cattle drover,Savary River miller and hotel keeper at Savary. One of these Macleod's Norman Macleod, author of "Reminiscences of a Highland Parish" tells this story about Donald in Farewell to Fuinary:

"when he was old Donald of the Mill was crossing Savary (river) when the stream was in flood. Donald in his kilt had gone astride between two stepping stones and stiff from age found that he could not lift either foot without falling into the torrent that raged between and so there and then our father who was a boy found the old savage in a towering passion and pouring out curses in Gaelic on the evils of old age."

regards,

Donald