Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

So in the month of August I am going to the Whycocomagh area to see the places my gggrandfather hailed from. We will spend a couple of days in the area checking out the sights and going to the cemeteries. I am hoping there is a geneology research site in the area. If any other local researchers have particular sites I should visit I would appreciate the input. I intend to visit Marble Mountain, Skye Mountain, Orangedale, Whycocomagh, Stewartdale, Mull River and any other place of interest.

Thanks
Barry
Livingstone_PEI

Here is an interesting read, regarding Duncan Livingstone of Whycocomagh, NS. Apparently he had been squatting on the Indian Reservation cutting timber and etc. Upon him being removed, he assaulted authorities with an axe. I'm not sure what the outcome of this was but I would say he likely served jail time for this. It is an interesting story and worth taking the time to read.

http://nlc-bnc.ca/pam_archives/public_m ... e002516973

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,
Interesting about Duncan.
Be sure to check out Skye Mt. Whycocomagh and old Livingston house at Livingston Mountain, Mull River/Mabou. Also you should contact historian Dr. James St. Clair of Mabou before your trip as he is related to these Mabou and Whycocomagh, Cape Breton Livingstons. I am certain you will see some beautiful scenery on your trip and connect with your Cape Breton Livingston family history. Enjoy your summer road trip. Take lots of photos of Livingston Mountain, Mull RIver/Mabou and Skye Mt. Whycocomagh.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Hi All

Some notes from Dr. St. Clair regarding the Livingstone's in the Mull River/Whycocomagh area. I thank Dr. St. Clair for the update and I hope to speak with him while I am there.

- The last two local descendants of the Livingstones of Livingstone Mt, and Mull River, have died in the past 18 months
- The home of the Mull River Livingstone's is far away from any road and is a good hour walk. Dr. St. Clair said it is 10 years since he was there and doesn't know if he can even find it anymore.
- The area of the Livingston's of Skye Mt. and later Whycocomagh/Orangedale is no longer inhabited and is a walk up logging roads to get to it and the buildings are no longer there. The last local descendant of this group was J. Agnes Livingstone and she died eight or nine years ago.
- I will be going to Stewartdale and 1st Settlers Cemeteries to see Livingstone headstones for the Mull River and Skye Mt. Livingstone's. I will take pictures.

It is a shame that nothing remains of these homesteads, but I have seen the same thing happen here on PEI in the rural communities. Roads that used to be vibrant communities with 25 homesteads are now reduced to 5 houses and many of the old homes are gone. It is a sign of the times and a part of our history disappearing with the loss of these homesteads.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Updates, photos, etc., would be much prized, especially since these places are disappear(ed)(ing). Thank you! I look forward to hearing/seeing more, but even this update is well worth it, and if you have any more from Dr. St. Clair to share, I know his knowledge of these families is beyond anyone else's, in all likelihood. Preserving as much of that information is a huge function of our Clan Forum and Clan Society. Appreciate it!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Livingstone_PEI

Hi All

So a little update on our adventure to Cape Breton. We took a ton of pictures and I will be sending pictures to Kyle to be included in the Fall newsletter. I think the biggest excitement in all of this is to actually see the present day communities where these families lived. Driving the roads helped so much in getting a feel for how far each of these families lived from each other.
So I drove part way down Mull River Rd and the Old Mull River Rd. It was pretty much a gravel road with trees on both sides. Like Dr. St. Clair said, any houses here look like they are long gone. I didn't have time to explore the entire roads, but remember Mull River Rd is where Dr. St. Clair lives so I know there are houses on these roads.
I went to Orangedale and stopped at the local general store and asked the person behind the counter about the Livingstone families that lived in the area and she informed me that Bill Livingstone still lives close by, but he was visiting his daughter in PEI for that week. Yes you heard right, I missed meeting him and he was on PEI, but i have a telephone number so you can bet I will be calling him.
We went over to Port Hood and went to a little museum they have there. I spoke to the person in charge of the museum and left my name if she happens upon anything related to the Whycocomagh Livingstone's. Driving to Port Hood we took the cross country road and followed across on the Whycocomagh-Port Hood Road that is a little used road that is gravel road the entire way across. It was very pretty and unchanged and likely is very much like it was 100 years ago. I have photos of Livingstone headstones from four cemeteries and Kyle will be getting copies of them. I went down to Marble Mountain too and that is the area it has always been thought my ancestor is from. Orangedale, Marble Mountain and Whycocomagh are really very close to each other. Middle River is very close too, but I did not go to any cemeteries in Middle River. Middle River is about 20 minutes from Whycocomagh and the Provincial Park we camped in was really one of the nicest camping parks I have stayed in, in Nova Scotia.
I didn't get to meet Dr. St. Clair. I did call his home while I was there as he requested, but someone else answered the phone and said he wasn't feeling good that day, so I said to say hi and I was sorry I missed him.
If anyone has any questions about what I saw, feel free to ask and I will try to answer them from what I saw and did.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,
I am sorry that you weren't able to talk to Dr. St. Clair that day, but perhaps another time. I noticed that there is also a Neal Livingston residing in the Mabou area and I was curious who he was related to. Look forward to seeing some of your photos from your trip in our Clan newsletter. I am sorry that I did not suggest you trying to contact this Neal Livingston while you were in the Mabou/Mull River area.

regards,

Donald
hegartytab

Post by hegartytab »

Roberta Ann wrote:Donald this Catherine died in PEI in 1892.

Roberta
Hi Roberta,

If you are Roberta Livingstone, I believe we are fairly close cousins. We share gg grandfather Thomas L, and his father, our ggg grandfather Lauchlin Livingstone. I have photos of them both, thanks to my grandmother Margaret Livingstone Hegarty's great family photo albums. Please contact me. hegartytab "at" aol "dot" com

John Hegarty
Last edited by Jerry on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed his personal email address so he would not receive auto spam.
BLiv1

Post by BLiv1 »

It seems I am a descendent of Lot 65 PEI and Morvern Argyll Livingstones. Hector, b. 1811, Nine Mile Island, is my second great grandfather. His parents were John Livingston b. 1775 morvern and Isabella MacGregor. His Grandparents , Donald Livingston 1750 and Mary Campbell. I would be interested in any more information on this branch. Hector’s son John Harding Livingstone married into the Steeves family of Hillsborough NB CA.
Kyle MacLea- I also live in NH .

BLiv1
Canadian Livingstone

HI B.Livingston,

Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Forum. I am not connected to your particular Morvern Livingston family branch that settled in Prince Edward Island Canada in 1806, but I am descended from another Morvern, Argyll Livingston, Miles Livingston a boatbuilder b.abt. 1775 who settled in 1812 and in 1814 built a log cabin along the Red River in what later became the City of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Later in 1815 he and his wife Nancy also a Livingston of Morvern origin and their two eldest children Hugh and Nancy settled in Upper Canada (Ontario) Canada. A DNA test of my own Livingston cousin and that of a descendant of Nine Mile Creek Donald Livingston Senior's son Donald Livingston Jr. of Lot 31 Clyde River, Queens County, PEI indicates that my Livingston family shares an common ancestor in Morvern in 1600's or early 1700's possibly.

As Clan Maclea Livingstone Society historian and of Canadian origins, I am familiar with Hector's grandfather Donald Livingstone Sr. b. abt. 1750 apparently of Morvern, Argyll origin who with his family including several sons settled in 1806 in PEI and Donald Sr. located at Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65 Queens County. A Canadian, John Collins has done the most extensive research on Donald and family which appears to have a Morvern origin but were living in nearby Mull before departing by way of Tobermory, Mull aboard the Rambler in 1806 for Prince Edward Island. John had a website with a lot research info on the family and some subsequent descendants of old Donald Livingston Sr. of Nine Mile Creek Lot 65, Queens County, PEI in the past. Not sure if he is still has it.

I am not familiar with Donald's son John Livingston who married Isabella McGregor or with their son Hector. More than 10 years ago, however, I think it was, our forum was contacted by a descendant of John's brother Donald Livingston Jr. who about a year after arriving with his family and other family members relocated on Lot 31 in Queens County, PEI and resided there at Clyde River. Donald Livingston Jr. married in 1803 in Mull in Kilninian Parish, Mull to Flora McPhail but his marriage record sure enough states that although marrying in Mull that he is a native of neighbouring Morvern Parish. The descendant of this Donald Jr. of Lot 31 had her brother do the Y Chromosome Familytreedna test, which my Livingston cousin of Morvern ancestry and many other Livingstons have done and the results confirmed a very close match with my own Livingston cousin of Morvern ancestral origin and 3 other Livingstons known to have a probable Morvern family connection. The fact that this Livingstons most of them with Argyll parish records of their ancestors linking them to Morvern are very closely matching with the familytreedna Y chromosome test results I think confirms what John Collins was saying about Donald Livingston Sr. and his family having origins in Morvern Parish and later a few years before leaving for Prince Edward Island aboard the Rambler had lived for a short time apparently in Kilninian Parish, Mull. These Livingston DNA matches of Morvern ancestry are also a little more distantly matched with Livingstons of neighbouring Mull, Argyll not surprisingly and with some other Livingstons who lived in neighbouring Ardgour, and Ardnamurchan and likely other nearby parishes in Argyllshire as indicated by the test results. So the test of a descendant of Donald Livingston Jr. son of Donald Livingston Sr. of Nine Mile Creek Lot 65 Queens County indicates that there family was of Morvern ancestry and of a family branch of the highland Maclea- Livingstones who for centuries their ancestors lived in Argyllshire in highland Scotland. Regrettably our Forum has not heard from the descendant of Donald Livingston Sr's son Donald Livingston Jr. of Clyde River lot 31, Queens County, PEI for quite some time. Hopefully we will hear from them again in the future, as much progress has been made in discovering some Morvern family branches that are in some way connected through the DNA project that our Clan Society and other Livingstons are involved with.

Prior to the 1750's in the 1700's the Argyllshire records the Argyllshire Livingstones referred to themselves as Mcleas or Mconleas, but it has been noticed that in the 1750's the former Maclea or Mconlea householders refer to themselves not longer as Mclea or Maconleas but by the Clan name Livingston. Our Clan Maclea Livingstone were ardent Jacobite rebels in highland Scotland and supporters of the exiled Stuart family and their attempts to regain the Throne of Great Britain in 1745 were among those Western Argyllshire Clans that joined with the Appin, Argyll Stewarts who backed Bonnie Prince Charlie in the Rebellion of 1745.

I am sorry to say I have nothing on your ancestor Hector that he was son of John Livingston son of Donald Livingston Sr. of Nine Mile Creek, PEI settler and am only aware of him because Hector was included in the original early Charlottetown PEI birth/baptism records for the children of John Livingston and Isabella McGregor that John Collins had located and included on his wonderful website.

I have found in my own experience that most early PEI Census and other records seem to be incomplete or missing and I can't seem to find much information as I would like. Beyond what John found with his birth/baptism in 1811, I could not find any info your John's son Hector Livingston. Apparently John found some info from the 1841 period regarding your ancestor John Livingston I assume from the 1841 Census, but does not seem to have found very much on his son Hector I don't think. If you have any info on your ancestor Hector Livingston and descended and can put together what you know of ancestral line connection of your Livingston family to Hector Livingston and John Livingston and Isabella McGregor I would greatly appreciate it. I can really nothing so far on John and Isabella's son Hector and what became of him.

John Collins mentions that John Livingston and Isabella McGregor
had the following children:
1. Ann b. 1806
2. Dugald b. 1809
3. Hector b. 1811 (your ancestor)
4. Duncan b. 1813
5. Isabella 1815-1840 m. John Thomas Hertz
6. Donald 1818-1857
7. John b.1819

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian