Peter Parker

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jeane Parker

Peter Parker

Post by Jeane Parker »

When my husband had his DNA processed, he was determined to have a very close Livingston connection, not a Parker connection. We have a family story that substantiates this.

Peter Parker was my husband's great grandfather. He was born circa 1828 in Richmond Co NC or Marlboro Co SC. At least two of my husbands aunts, granddaughters of Peter Parker, told me that Peter Parkers wife was a Parker and married a Parker. One aunt and the LDS Family Search IGI said she was Anna Laura Livingston. The LDS info was submitted by a LDS member in Oregon or Washington. She was unrelated to our Parkers as best we can determine. When I tracked her, she was already deceased, but her son confirmed that she had researched Parkers around the country for some reason that he was not privy to. The woman in Oregon may have been given the Livingston info by a Parker cousin in SC who did Parker research before she died. I zeroxed the original IGI from the internet, the record has now been removed. I do not know why. I guess because it was deemed incorrect. The LDS has been trying to refine its entries. For sometime I think they took anything a member submitted, now they require a little more proof. Which is good.

Anyway I found Anna Laura Parker in 1850 in the household of George Parker of Richmond Co. NC. In 1852 whe was listed in the will and court proceedings as George Parker's daughter. I am positive she was the daughter of George. I found a girl of right age to be her in previous census of George's family, along with girls matching her sisters ages.

Now for the prize bit of info, in the 1850 census of George's household I also found Peter Parker and Mary Parker. They were listed at the end of the census list. They were 18 and 16. George's household also had another girl named Mary Parker who was younger than the one who is probably Peter's sister. Peter and Mary II were not listed in George's will or court proceedings. However before the 1860 census Peter Parker and Anna Laura Parker, George's daughter, were married and they later moved to Chesterfield Co. SC. They may have moved first to Marlboro Co SC.

Obviously, Peter and his sister Mary were somehwere in the 1840 census and Peter b. circa 1827/28 was somewhere in the 1830 census. Not positive about Mary's birthday so not sure if she would have been in the 1830 census. Over the years I have searched the census and other records I could find to locate a family that had two children the right ages for Peter and Mary in the 1830 and 1840 censuses. I have searched both Parker and Livingston families and have not found them anywhere.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to visit with one of Jerome's first cousins. She was the great granddauaghter of Peter. She told me that at one time her father called the children togethere and was about to tell them a family secret, when their mother interupted him and told him "the children don't need to know about that". She said that he had already said they were not really Parkers... She said he started to say Alexander. But the subject never came up agin after their mother interrupted her husband. The cousin said as a child she had always thought how convenient it would be to have a name at the first of the alphabet when they called the roll in school. She thought it would be nice to not have to wait for the P's. I asked her if he mentioned the name Livingston and she said no... Thinking perhaps her father was started to say Alexander Livingston, I searched and did find a young unmarried Alexander Livingston nearby in Sc. For some time I thought I had solved the mystery until I got his immigration record. He came to American in 1835. So he was not here when Peter and Mary were born.

Recently I learned there was a Hugh Livingston in the 1840 census of Richmond Co NC who lived threee houses away from the family of George Parker. After some research, I feel this man is not the one I seek. He did tho have two brothers, Charles and John who I have not been able to find any information on. They were the right ages to be my candidate. I would like to learn what I can about these two men. Either to confirm or not their relationship to Peter and Mary.

Any clue anyone can share about the relationship of the Parkers and Livingstons will be gratefully appreciated. i believe they were centered in Richmond Co NC, Marlboro Co SC and Chesterfield Co SC.

-------------------------------------------------
Peter Parker Supplemental Information #1 August 2009

Peter Parker b. circa 1828 probably Richmond Co NC or Marlboro Co. SC. d 24 Nov 1881 Chesterfield Co SC. buried Mt. Olivet Cemetery Chesterfield Co SC.

parents - unknown

siblings - probably had a sister named Mary b. circa 1832. (both Peter and Mary were listed in the household of George Parker in the 1850 Richmond Co NC census) (they are not children of George, see previous entry for Peter Parker for details.)
I do not know anything about her after the 1850 census, except that one of Peter's granddaughters, Edith Davis, told me "Aunt Mary" came to visit her family when she was a child. "Aunt Mary" arrived in a fine carriage wearing a large fancy hat. Edith said her Mother ran out to greet her with a big hug. The "Aunt Mary" who visited might be Anner Laura's sister, Mary, and not Peter's sister Mary since she was greeted so warmly, but then maybe not.. I gather from what Edith told me that this was a one day visit. Edith did not recall if she ever visited again. And Edith did not know if "Aunt Mary" was Peter or Anner Laura's sister.

Anner Laura Parker (wife of Peter) m. between 1851 when her Dad died and 1860 census where she was listed with husband Peter. Anner Laura b. 14 May 1833 Richmond Co NC (between Laurinburg & Maxt) d. 17 Aug 1915 Chesterfield Co SC. buried Mt. Olivet Cemetery Chesterfield SC.

father - George Parker b. circa 1802 probably Richmond Co NC or Marlboro Co SC. d. July 1851 Richmond Co NC.

mother - Nancy ? (maybe Nancy B. In 1860 census after George had died in 1851 there is a listing for a Nancy B. Parker. There are no young women in her household. My guess is that they had all married by 1860) (I have speculated that Nancy's maiden name might be Barrentine. George Parker and his family lived next to James Barrentine family in 1840 and 1850 censuses in Richmond Co. NC. In 1830 young marrieds George Parker and Barrentine both lived in Marlboro Co SC. not next door to each other but relatively close.

siblings - all listed in George's estate settlement.
Jane Parker b. circa 1831 maybe Marlboro Co SC but could be Richmond Co NC. m. Eli Stein before 1850 census in Richmond Co. NC.
Jemimma (Jessie) Parker b. circa 1832 Marlboro Co NC or Richmond Co NC. m. Morgan Stein 1851 Richmond Co NC (Eli & Morgan were brothers.)
Mary Parker b. circa 1840 Richmond Co NC m. Stephen Barrentine Richmond Co NC circa 1858/59.

------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Jeane Parker on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberta Ann

Re: Peter Parker

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jeane and Jewel;

1850 Census of Williamson District

#367 #356

George Parker 47 b. S.C. Hugh Livingston 47 N.C.? Sorne Parish, Mull, 1808.*
Nancy Parker 47 b. N.C. Mary " 32 N.C.
Jemina Parker 18 b. S.C. Charles " 11 N.C.
Laura Parker 16 b. S.C. Anne " 10 N.C.
Mary Parker 10 b. N.C. John " 7 N.C. **
Peter Parker 18 b. S.C. Labourer Duncan " 6 N.C.
Mary Parker 16 b. N.C. Mary " 4 N.C.
Eli Steen 20 b. S.C. Labourer Martha " 1 N.C.
Jane Steen 19 b. S.C.

*previous post.

** Springhill Cemetery, Scotland Co., N.C.

Livingston, John 7-3-1843 9-26-1920
Martha 1853 4-21-1917 wife of John Livingston

I did separate the 2 households, but it appears,on the Submit too jumbled.

Hugh Livingstons wife was Mary Gibson. Their daughter, Martha Livingston b. May 19, 1849, d. Nov. 14, 1892 was married in 1873 to Robert J. Peele.

I did not find the burial place of Hugh. I found the burial place of his son John and Johns wife.

I believe that Hugh was born in the Parish of Sorne, Mull with his brothers John and Charles; born in the same parish.

Roberta
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for that info. That is truly fantastic that you were able to find Hugh Livingston's resting place at Springhill Cemetery, Richmond County now Scotland County since 1899. Even better that there was information on the cemetery stone stating that Hugh was born at Sorne Parish, Mull. It also reinforces my notion that many of the Livingstons Livingstones out there with known or suspected Mull, Scotland ancestry will infact show up in DNA testing as some sort of match along with others from Mull ,neighbouring Morvern and some other adjacent Islands in the west of Argyll County in the highlands of Scotland. I will pass this on to Andrew and Kyle. I owe you big time for this one Roberta. Brilliant work. If we can encourage some of the other Livingstons with Cape Breton and PEI origins to take the test over the next couple of years I will be in a better position hopefully to determine with absolute certainty that this is the case. I will say at this early stage it is looking promising.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jeanne,
Welcome to the forum.
Hello again. Thank-you for all Duncan Livingston information you have sent me. It has greatly advanced our knowledge of this pioneer Richmond/Scotland County, North Carolina highland Livingston family. We also have some census info on some of the other highland Livingstons from Anson and other counties in our search for brothers of Duncan and their family in North Carolina.
Jewel and Roberta have access to some U.S records and may be able to sort out the Parker-Livingston mystery.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Any finding from a Scotland County, NC cemetery that indicates that a Livingston was born in Mull should give us some idea where these Richmond/Scotland County Livingstons came from and is invaluable. As you point out our only problem is that the census record indicate that David's ancestor Hugh Livington born abt. 1805 son of Richmond/Scotland County pioneer Duncan D. Livingston was born in North Carolina. According to the family Duncan D. Livingston arrived in the late 1790's and |Hugh was born in North Carolina. However is also quite possible that is the right guy right tombstone and the next of kin got the information wrong or it was recorded wrong on the tombstone. If so it is to our benefit because we know that one way or another that Hugh's family including his father Duncan came from SOrne PARISH, Mull even if the information that Hugh was born there is perhaps wrong. Perhaps we can get Myrtle in NC to help verify that that is the correct Hugh Livingston. I cant find that marker in the Springhill cemetery records. How did you find it? I am sure that Hugh's descendant David Livingston would like have a copy of that record for his own research.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello every one,

I'm a little confused, somebody help me please. I think the alignment of Robertas post regarding the 1850 census for the livingston family and the Springhill cemetery records might be confuseing because of the alignment. I don't think Roberta is saying that the tomb stone states that Hugh or Duncan was born in Sorne parish, I think she might be quoteing from the Mull site a different livingston family which was in one of her earlier posts. Maybe Roberta can explain for us.

Jewel
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jewel;

I clarified my post and added more info. I should add that John Livingston 1843 had sons Archibald age 30 and Walter age 23
in the eligible voters lists for Williamson District-October 21, 1902.

I will continue my efforts to locate the grave site of Hugh Livingstone. Can you help with this?

The Alignment was not mine, Jewel. It came out that way after I submitted.

Roberta
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Jeane,

Just thought I would post a few things I came across , maybe you can let me know if these are relatives of yours.

Death notice for Peter Parker. April 28,1860

Peter Parker at the advanced age of near 90. He was a native of Hertford County N.C. and emigrated and settled in Anson County (now Union) county in his youth where he rased a large family.

Levina Jane Parker died January 6,1861 in Union County the youngest daughter of Peter & Nancy Parker at the age of 14 years, 1 month and 26 days.

October 18,1859 James P. Parker formerly of Anson County N.C. now in Baker County Georgia married Ann Bird of Anson County,N.C.

There was also a William H. Parker listed for Wills in anson County year 1899 D:445
this information can be obtained North Carolina Archives in Raleigh N.C.
Dept. of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives & History

Archives & Records Section
109 E. Jones St.
Raleigh,N.C. 27601-2807

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

No it was i was that confused not Roberta. I see that Roberta states that one of the parker children is buried at Springhill Cemetery in scotland county not Hugh. That was my mistake. Sorry about that Roberta. I got mixed up by the asterisks. my mistake.

I think Roberta is thinking that Hugh may be a Hugh Livingson born at Sorne parish, Mull in 1808. I am not so sure about that given the understanding by the family in north carolina that they arrived in richmond county in the 1790's and the census info stating that hugh was born in NC. I am with Roberta however in the suspicion that these North carolina livingstons did in fact originate from Mull in particular. Of course there were highlanders from Appin in the area in significant numbers.

regards,

Donald
Jeane Parker

Post by Jeane Parker »

Jewel wrote:Hello Jeane,

Just thought I would post a few things I came across , maybe you can let me know if these are relatives of yours.

Death notice for Peter Parker. April 28,1860

Peter Parker at the advanced age of near 90. He was a native of Hertford County N.C. and emigrated and settled in Anson County (now Union) county in his youth where he rased a large family.

Levina Jane Parker died January 6,1861 in Union County the youngest daughter of Peter & Nancy Parker at the age of 14 years, 1 month and 26 days.

October 18,1859 James P. Parker formerly of Anson County N.C. now in Baker County Georgia married Ann Bird of Anson County,N.C.

Reply from Jeane - Forgive if this is not the correct way to post a reply. If I need a lesson in "how to", please send it along.
Anyway, The Parkers you have above are probably from Anson Co NC and not directly tied to my Peter Parker of Richmond Co NC and Marlboro C0. SC. Thanks tho for offering this info.
There was also a William H. Parker listed for Wills in anson County year 1899 D:445
this information can be obtained North Carolina Archives in Raleigh N.C.
Dept. of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives & History

Archives & Records Section
109 E. Jones St.
Raleigh,N.C. 27601-2807

Jewel