Repost: McIannlaich from PEI

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
D.W.Livingston

Repost: McIannlaich from PEI

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I am reposting this thread from the "Messages from the Chief" section as I believe some people might have some great input for Karl.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=768#p6495
Re: Welcome to our NewForum
by amarach » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi I am new to the forum I have been reading with much interest about ( achnacree ) My ancestors are from the Mull area specifically Aros.Am i to beleive it would be of benefit for me to have a 67 marker dna test done? My name is Karl mckinley but only because i assume it was changed from McIannlaich which i beleive is Gaelic.My ancestors were cleared from mull and sailed to PEI around 1802? from Oban. Dugal McIannlaich born at Aros 5 june 1767 Father was John McIannlaich Married to Mary Levingston. Dugal apparently died in his early 30's. He was married to Catharine Campbell at Arle n.of Aros 1787 they had 3 children Donald ,Catharine and John who I am descended from .The descendants of Donald are still living at the same homestead in PEI lot 30 North River. Catharine Married allan McInnis and their descendants still live somewhere in PEI.Karl
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Repost: McIannlaich from PEI

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Karl,

Welcome to the Maclea Livingstone Forum. I dont have anything on McKinley's from Mull unfortunately but on the basis of the information that was submitted at one time to the Mull Genealogy I understand that like you have stated there was a Donald Mackinley born abt. 1788 from Mull married to Mary McKinnon that settled around 1802 in PEI and whose family lived at North River Queens County, PEI. You mentioned Lot 30 and I also noticed there was a John Mckinlay age 58 a Baptist residing in 1881 at Lot 32, Queens County, PEI. that may have been the John McKinley b.1821 born at North River son of Donald McKinley and Mary McKinnon.

There are some McKinleys in Ireland I think but these McKinleys as far I can tell from the information submitted by kin in PEI appear to have a Mull MacIannleich origin which to my way of thinking looks a lot like an interesting gaelic spelling variation of Maconlea our old clan name.

On that basis I think that it would be interesting to see if your probable Mull McKinley roots are really Western Argyll Mull Maconlea and the 67 marker test would help to identify a linkage with Maclea Livingstones or if you connected to another Celtic group.

It would be interesting to trace the source of the information on old Donald McKinley b.1788 and early settlement history of this McKinley family at North River in PEI. Perhaps one of PEI Livingston researchers might be able to locate some further info on this McKinley family at North River.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Karl,

Alot of the descendants of the original families may indeed still be residing in the Lot 30 area in PEI. Another family the MacPhails are connected to Livingstons and MacKinnons a Mull family and these MacPhails I understand also were early settlers of Lot 30. So the MacKinnon connection through Mary MacKinnon sure does seem to help reinforce the notion that your PEI MacKinleys are a highland Maconlea family from Mull.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

hi Karl,

The 1841 Scottish census indicates that McKinleys and McKinlays are largely a Saddell and Campbelltown based family group as far as the County of Argyll goes with one Mckinley showing up in the Maclea Livingston area of Western Argyll. Whatever the origins of your Mackinley family in Mull in Argyll Scotland the one I did manage to find in the 1841 Census at Salen, Mull was residing with most interestingly with McKinnon family as was a McPhail. By the strangest coincidence a McPhail married to a McKinnon settled at Lot 30 in PEI where I presume Donald McKinley and Mary Mckinnon settled. While I cant find much in the way of a McKinley family in Northern Mull by 1841 clearly there was one still at this point in time and most importantly living with a McKinnon family.

The ancient historical origins of these other McKinleys are another topic of discussion and I really dont have resources to determine if or what the linkage they have with the Macleas of Western Argyllshire that became highland Clan Livingstone. I will let the DNA tests help to determine that. Your apparent Mull based McKinley family is of particular curosity in an area dominated by Macleas that almost all became Livingstons in the 1700's and I would be most interested in the results of a 67 marker DNA test to help us to learn more about your McKinley family.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Karl,

The only Mckinley in Mull I found Elizabeth McKinley that I found living with a John McKinnon family in the 1841 Census at Salen in Mull is possibly connected to your McKinley-McKinnon ancestors in Mull. Furthemore a check on Salen indicates it is bounded in the north by the Bay of Aros. You mentioned Aros I think as where your McKinley's originated. Salen is about eight miles south east of Tobermory, Mull. Your family may be distinct from the other McKinleys that show up in southern Argyll at Saddell and Campbelltown in significant numbers and more closely connected to the Maclea Livingstones that lived in the Mull area but I just cant say for certain. That 67 marker test might be helpful to identify any close connection to Mull area McLea Livingstones I would think.
regards,
Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Karl,

We have certainly observed McOnlea as a form of MacLea on Bute and elsewhere. I don't remember seeing any mutation of McOnlea--> McKinley on Bute, but it may have occurred elsewhere, especially in the lowlands. We have continued to postulate this as a name derivation for McKinley/McKinlay and are hoping, someday, to find some evidence of it! ;)

Welcome to the Forum, Karl!

Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Karl,

I was unaware but the tests so far probably suggest that you connect with a group of Scottish McKinleys/Mckinlays and not the highland Macleas that became highland Livingtons though it is clear that your McKinley ancestors likely lived in Mull among a number of local families including Maclea Livingstons. As more Mckinlays/McKinleys are tested the connection and origin of these McKinlays which you match up to may become apparent.

regards,
Donald
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Dugal McIannlaich born at Aros 5 june 1767 Father was John McIannlaich Married to Mary Levingston
Hello Karl,

I find it interesting that even if you connect with a group of Scottish McKinleys/Mckinlays you still have a Livingston (Levingston) in your genealogical background. Coming from Mull I would assume that would be the case as there was a group there. Back in those days the spelling seemed to be almost interchangeable Livingstone/Livingston/Levingston.

Again, Welcome
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Karl,

Your McKinlays with some Mckinnon relatives I think lived at North River but appears to be in Lot 32 rather than Lot 30 as you stated. I found some McKinlays in 1901 PEI census there that may be related to you. Interestingly I also found Mckinnons and a single Mckinley living in Salen Parish, Mull near Aros Bay as late as the 1841 Scottish census. Probably some connection to your family.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

hi Karl,
ok i see john livingston lot 30 in 1841 perhaps this your ancestor.

regards,
Donald