My Livingston(e) Line

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Re: My Livingston(e) Line

Post by Kyle MacLea »

It doesn't seem implausible to me, Ginger. But hard to prove, certainly! Not a bad "possibility" which you can hope to later prove when additional pictures surface. (Would be nice, anyway.)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Well Ginger,
We are glad that you are part of our "big, happy family." I think you are the trailblazer for your group and I know that in the end you will find a "connection."

In the meantime...keep searching for the age old questions: Who am I, Where did I come from...lol...vka
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ginger,

Sorry. Didnt mean to spoil things. Truly. Somehow I always end up being the Simon Cowell of the forum. Well not really like Simon Cowell. He does not work for free and I dont think he knows anything about genealogy.

I am suggesting that it is more likely Livingstons that lived in Ballachulish in the 1880's or 1890's as Margaret has suggested and to my way of thinking probably not Dugald since he left Ballachulish long before that and his son, your ancestor, no longer lived in Ballachulish either at this time and left for states around this time didnt he? (See the census records earlier posted under Livingston Line)

I wish it was your ancestor in the photo I really do, but I am thinking not too likely. Ballachulish had a number of Livingstons in the 1800's some of them working in the quarry or quarries. Could those be relatives of Dougald and his son? Quite possibly. I may be able figure out from the census records which Livingstons they are if I knew their names.

regards,

Donald
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

OK. THen we are on the same page. I don't think it's my direct grandparent ancestors. I think they are relatives of Dugald & Donald.

I think/hope it is the brother (Charles b. May 10,1840) of Dugald (son of Donald b. 1802) born abt. 1838. Charles would be 50-60 at the end of the 1800's and the guy in that #31 spot is much older than the rest of them. If I am wrong about the placement there is also Charles b. Oct. 10, 1868 Bonawe,Ardchattan Parish , brother of Donald, which would make him 20-30yrs at the end of the 1800's. Unless you don't think they would go back to the quarries at Ballachulish after being born in Ardchattan Parish.

Charles, John and Duncan were all younger brothers of GG Grandpa Donald b.May 3,1863. John b. March 14,1866 was also born in Ballachulish, Appin Paris while the other brothers Charles and Duncan were younger by a few years each and born in Bonawe,Ardchattan Parish.

Did people move around back then? Would they have gone back to Ballachulish if the older uncle worked there and they could get jobs in the quarry? By google direction it is 26 miles to Ballachlish from Bonawe. But that is a long coastal route. As the crow flies it looks to be maybe 15 miles.

Are there other Ballachulish Livingstons with the same names or can we narrow it down? (I realize Duncan, John & Charles are pretty common.)

Thanks,

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Oh..and I don't think of you as Simon Cowell at all.. Simon slanders the name of good donkeys everywhere, while you on the other hand seem very focused on "getting it right" which is fine with me. Someone has to keep us on track! I am happy to run down the rabbit trails in excitement. (I have a beagle.)

Without your fierce determination and dedication to my family and others I would still be mostly in the dark.

Now I have a goal to get to Ballachulish and find some family while testing the local brews.

Tally Ho!

Ginger
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for that. No I think Simon goes a bit over the top with his caustic critiques however so many of those contestants have such a delusional sense of their singing abilities that I guess someone has to be the one to give them a reality check. It will be interesting to see where the show goes next year without Simon.

Anyways I am unhappy that my favourite show "Lost" is in it's final season this year. Its a complex show with a lot of stories within stories, flash backs and flash forwards with a time travel edge so its hard for anyone to follow it unless they started watching it six years ago. It has a loyal fan base however since it started. Anyone who hasnt seen it though from the begininng should just go and buy season one on Dvd and start from scratch. Its just too complicated and you miss a lot to start into from the final season that starts next week. One of the best series on Tv in this last decade. Sorry to see it go but guess it had to have an ending.

Do we know the names of the Livingstons in the photo? Margaret thought it was taken around in the 1990's. If you give me the names I might be able figure out something from the Census records. But realistically if may be impossible to say for certain if the persons in the old photo are your close relatives.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

More pictures of the Ballachulish Quarries:

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... um=6&pos=4

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... um=6&pos=5

Again, courtesy Margaret Stewart.

Thanks!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Margaret Stewart

Post by Margaret Stewart »

Hi Donald

Sorry I'm a bit confused. Do you mean the first photograph posted of the group picture? The ones that Ginger thinks are part of her family?

The Livingstons in the photograph are (10) John Livingston (En Ban Eeideal), (11) Dugald Livingston (Dughall Leigh) and (31) Charles Livingston (Tearlach Dhomhnuill Aonghais).

The other less formal group photograph had no names attached.

Again I don't know when the photograph was taken, I took a shot in the dark that it would be the late 1800s given the style of the foreman in the centre front row with his waistcoat and watch chain.

HTH

Margaret
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Margaret. This matches exactly with my records. I have no doubt this is their headstone. It's wonderful and tearful. Please let me know where to find it so I can go in person next fall.

What a blessing. Thanks so much. Ginger
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HEADSTONE : SACRED to the memory of Alexander Livingston
Died 16 Jan 1849, aged 4years.
Christina Livingston died 8 July 1850 aged 15 years
Angus Livingston died 6 Aug 1871 aged 37 years.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My records

Donald Livingston(e) born abt. 1802 - slate quarrier- West Laroch Village,Southern Ballachulish, Appin Parish,Glencoe District, County of Argyll,in Highland Scotland
Ann Stewart- born abt. 1805 at Ballachulish, Appin Parish

Known Children
Donald born abt. 1826
Catharine born abt.1829
Sarah born abt. 1831
Angus born abt. 1834 died Aug. 6,1871 at Ballachulish
Christina born abt. 1837 died July 8,1850 at Ballachulish
Dugald born abt. 1838 or 1839 (Donald's father)
Charles born May 10,1840 according to a St. John's Episcopalian Church records
Ewen born August 20,1842
Alexander born July 21,1845 died January 16,1849 at Ballachulish
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Donlad,

My coworker and friend that I share an office with is a big fan of Lost. She is really sad. I can understand. I felt that way about "West Wing". Now it is back on BRAVO rerunning the whole thing. I realized that I might not get so lucky again so my husband got me the whole DVD set for Christmas.

Ginger