James Livingston of West Laroch,Southern Ballachulish

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

James Livingston of West Laroch,Southern Ballachulish

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

According to the 1851 Scottish Census of Appin Parish, James Livingston b.1805 and Isabella (Clark)lived at 76 West Laroch, Ballachulish. West Laroch Village was in Southern Ballachulish which was in Glencoe District, County of Argyll. James worked as a slate quarrier and was married to Isabella (Clark). Also in the 1851 Census is John Livington b.1812 Shepherd and his wife Christina (Rankin) residing at West Laroch. The 1881 Census lists Donald Livingston b.1802 a Quarrier and his wife Ann (Stewart) b.1805 as living also at West Laroch. I wonder what chance is there that they are all related. THere was also a Donald Livingston slate quarrier born abt. 1796 or 1797 at Ballachulish and his wife Ann born abt. 1799 who lived at 15 West Laroch, Ballachulish in 1851.

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Re: James Livingston of West Laroch,Southern Ballachulish

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Certainly possible they're all related! Our DNA test should hopefully address this for James and John, anyway!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,
I never know quite what to expect with the DNA results. Always interesting though. I am making an effort to contact a decendant of John Livington b.1812 the Laroch later Morvern shepherd and see if they have any Livingston relatives interested in the DNA project and Ginger's family are decended from Donald Livingston b.1802 and Ann Stewart so we have Livingstons that can help us with that family group. I should think James Livingston's descendant that you mentioned will be interested in hearing that we have some interesting updates to his Ballachulish/Glencoe Livingston ancestry inquiries. Now that we have already or will have a number of initial DNA sampling of Livingstons/Livingstones whose ancestors lived in various communities in Western Argyll in the 1700's and 1800's things can only get more interesting in the weeks, months and years to come for this aspect of the DNA project.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Sorry,in my earlier message I mixed up John and Donald. I meant Donald (Ginger's line).

Would be great if you could find some testable descendants of John, though!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com