Canongate Register of Marriages 1564-1800

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Canongate Register of Marriages 1564-1800

Post by Roberta Ann »

Livingstone(Livingston) marriages - all first names are Livingston e

Nov. 17, 1759
Alexander, indweller and Isobel Johnson daughter to the deceased John Johnson, sometime farmer in the Parish of Burntisland.

June 6, 1799
Ann d/o Alexander, mason in Fifeshire and Andrew Muat, servant.

Nov. 28, 1799
Archibald, gardner, and grizel Main d/o Thomas Main, gardner of the Easter Road to Leith.

Jan. 25, 1667
Barbara and Robert Herris married in the Church of Holyroodhous by Mr. James Kid, Minister.

Feb. 7, 1656
Beatrice and James Griersone, parochiners in Ormestoun, married by Mr. George Leslie.
Registered as Beatrix Levingstoun.

July 28, 1737
Catherine, residenter in Edinburgh and James Reoch, corden.

Oct. 8, 1798
Christina d/o_____Livingston, labourer in Fort William and James Edwards in the Clanalpine Fencibles.

June 16, 1691
Elizabeth and James Gordon, wright.

Sept. 11, 1696
Elizabeth daughter lauful to James Livingston, wright, burges and freeman of Edinburgh and Robert Scott, callico stamper.

Jan. 30, 1796
Elizabeth d/o John Livingston, smith in Aloa and John M'Lauchlan.

July 24, 1800
Elizabeth d/o Andrew Livingston, wright in Burnt Heland and Alexander Gibb, mason.

June 7, 1729
George and Margaret Craig, both servants to David Smith, taxman to the Kings Park.

Oct. 30, 1798
George, taylor and Elizabeth Crook d/o James Crooks, weaver in Dirlton.

Nov. 13, 1702
Helen, relict of the deceast William Fultoune, mason, burges of Edinburgh, and James Finlasone, wright.

Aug. 20, 1567
Isabella and Simon Wight.
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberta Ann

Re: Canongate Register of Marriages 1564-1800

Post by Roberta Ann »

Jan. 30, 1649
James and Marie Foulis, both of the north east congregation of Edinburgh, married in Kirk of Holyroodhous by Mr. Jon Hoge.

July 26, 1798
James, labourer and Christian Murray d/o John Murray, mason in Whitburn.

Jan. 28, 1653
Janet from Falkirk and John Flemyng, skinner, married in the Church of Canongate by Mr. Jon Hog

June 26, 1722
Jean, servitrix to Robert Henderson in the West Kirk parish and Ninian Glendinning, cowfeeder.

Oct. 24, 1730
Jean, residenter and Alexander Airth, indweller.

Jan. 25, 1766
Jean and John M'Muttree, shoemaker.

April 22, 1799
Jean d/o Alexander Livingston, mariner in Preston Panns and Peter Martinelly, comedian.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,
Cannongate is somewhere around Edinburgh isnt it?
What is great about so many of the lowland parish records is that a number of them go back as far as the 1500's. Not that all families remain in one parish that long but it is nice that records from that era survived.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thank you, ROBERTA! I'm hoping this will be something useful for those researching these families! :D

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello everyone; wait there's more

Mar. 1, 1650
John of this congregation and Elizabeth Cunninghame of the parchin of Carrington, married in Laswade.

Oct. 20, 1646
John and Margaret Myln

Jan. 8, 1799
Johanna d/o the deceast Alexander Livingston, merchant in Cross Casway, and Alexander Adam of the General Post Office, Edinburgh.

July 7, 1674
Margaret, in this congregation, and Thomas Sesfoord in Edinburgh, married in the Church of Holyroodhous.

June 9, 1759
Mrs. Marianna d/o Sir James Livingston of Glenterrin, barronet, and James Cheap of Sauchie, Esq.

April 12, 1701
Mary, Lady Coalterraues and Sir William Binning of Walyfoord, residing in Edinburgh.

Nov. 14, 1798
Samuel, weaver, and Alison Marshall d/o David Marshall, taylor in Culross.

Oct. 30, 1668
Thomas, in the paroch of Temple and Magdalen Culland married in the Kirk of Holyroodhous by Mr. James Kid, minister.
Registered as Thomas Levingstoun.

July 6, 1665
Thomas, in the West Kirk parochin and Margaret Sangster married at the West Park.

April 6, 1686
William and Agnes Campbell.

Nov. 1654
William and Jean Brock in Inneresk.

Aug. 13, 1723
William, smith in Potteraw and Agnes Thomson, servitrix to Lady Silvertounhill, in the West Kirk parish.

endt

Best regards to everyone on the Forum;

Roberta
Last edited by Roberta Ann on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Lancaster

Post by Andrew Lancaster »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Roberta,
Cannongate is somewhere around Edinburgh isnt it?
Right in the middle of it, a short walk from the castle.

My own Livingstone ancestor was married there to Lily Melrose on the 26th July 1838. I believe this record used the spelling Leving. He and his ancestors in Glamis and surrounds went through quite a few spelling variations. I think he may have used this particular one in Edinburgh in imitation of a local Englishman: Major Charles Levinge, who I think was Anglo-Irish, lived just up the road in Edinburgh castle, which dominates that area. The Canongate baptism of his daughter Barbara a few years before in February 1836 is one of the only occasions such a surname had appeared in a Scottish register at that time.

Best Regards
Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta and Andrew

Thanks for those records Roberta and the interesting info on your own family Andrew. What caught my eye was Sir James Livingston of Glenterrin (Glentoran?)Baronet 1759. I wonder if he was a connected ancestrally to the old Callendar Livingston family and what his family tree was. I will see what I can find out. As his family still had a title after the Jacobite rebellions of 1715 and 1745 his family branch they must not of been attainted and had their title removed by the Hanover Kings. I would assume then that the Livingstons of Glenterrin unlike the Callendar and Kilsythe Livingstons had not been Jacobites. This family is probably listed in one of the Burkes books on titled families in Great Britain.

Andrew I was going through my Palentine German Settler book that is those who settled in Pennsylvania and found that there was a Catholic Palentine family I noticed in the entries that emigrated to America in the 1700's with name of Levin but I guess that would not be the same family as Leving as in Baron de Leving ancestor of the Callendar Livingston family.

The Palentines were political refugees who left their homeland in the early 1700's some of whom went to England encouraged to do so by Queen Anne and then settled in New York and Pennsylvania. There is a Livingston connection to the Palentines as the Governor Robert Hunter of New York persuaded Robert Livingston of Livingston Manor to settle a large group of Palentine Germans on his estate. Apparently Livingston was not too happy about the Palentines and apparently the feelings were mutual. There was some scheme to create employment for this influx of Palentines by creating a local pine tar industry but apparently that did not go so well. A significant number of them left Livingston Manor and ended up in Pennsylvania I think although some German families remained in the area around Kinderhook and Palentine, NY. Catharine Kuhn a Palentine German whose father was one of these early settlers married James Livingston and lived at Kinderhook,NY in the 1700's. It may be that James himself was of palentine origin and adopted the name Livingston.

I have been in touch with some of the likely descendants of James from time to time and recently a lady in Canada who ancestor may of been a grandson of James and Catharine has contacted me by e-mail. She does not know much of her American Livingston ancestry or the German connection but we have found alot of very early Canadian census records with her ancestor in Canada also named James Livingston interestingly enough and one later census record in Ontario of this James Livingston states that the family was of German origin which I found interesting. Not all the descendants in later 19th century census records in Ontario Canada acknowledged this in the census records but this one descendant seemed to have remembered his German ancestry. That made me suspect that this ladies family who settled very early in the late 1700's in Ontario and came up from NY state according to early land records were of the German NY state Livingston family. This Livingston family were not related to but oddly enough settled very close in early Ontario near the family of Daniel Livingston one of the earliest highland Livingston settlers to settle in Ontario in the late 1700's. Daniel was apparently a former highland soldier in one of the highland regiments that fought at Quebec with Wolfe and the British in 1759 and he and his many sons settled in Upper Canada (Ontario)early on in the 1780's.

regards,

Donald