Register of Apprentices City of Edinburgh - 1583-1666

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Register of Apprentices City of Edinburgh - 1583-1666

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,
I enjoy your work.
Well I have been trying to find out about those old Livingston families but there descendants I am afraid either no longer exist or are elusive. For the most part when I search the later lowlands for Livingstons in the 19th century with the help of census records I am afraid I mostly locate highland Livingstons who have settled with their families in the lowland areas of Lanarkshire for example where employment in mills and whatnot was available to the highlanders such as Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil LIvingston how left the Isle of Ulva in 1792 for a mill work in Blantyre, Lanarkshire. That being said I find it hard to fathom how all the branch families of the old aristocratic Callendar could have essentially vanished after the 1700's in Scotland.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Re: Register of Apprentices City of Edinburgh - 1583-1666

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Thank you, Donald. I must say that I appreciate your grasp of History. I learn a lot from your writings.

About the Lowland Livingstons', they must have packed-up, hollis-bollis, and left for the U.S. They certainly acquired lots of land all along the east coast of the U.S. I often wonder if some of them worked for Spain; when Spain was mapping the east coast of North America. I believe that was in the late 1500's, I think. There was a Baronett of Nova Scotia in the 1500's. What do we know about him?

Weren't the Lowlanders aligned with the British during the troubles? Anyway, I will keep on searching for historical facts about anywhere in Scotland.

Regards;

Roberta