Livingstone Enlistments WW1

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Re: Livingstone Enlistments WW1

Post by Roberta Ann »

Stanley Lyman, Frankville P.O., Ontario. Enlisted Oct. 26, 1917 at Timmins, Ont.
Born Oct. 3, 1894. Frankville, Ont. Farmer. 5' 3"
Next: William Donald Livingston, same address, father.

Walter, Sgt., Toronto. Enlisted Valcartier, Quebec, Sept. 23, 1914
Born Apr. 10, 1896. Banker. 3 1/2 yrs. G.g.B.G. 5' 5 3/4ins
Next: Gladys Livingston, Cooksville, Ontario

Wesley Oliver, Sleemans, Ontario. Enlisted Oct. 2, 1917 at Camp St. Charles, Winnipeg
Born Sept, 17, 1898. Boisevain, Manitoba, Man. 5' 6"
Next: George Livingston, father, same address
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Wilfred, Swan Lake P.O., Manitoba. Enlisted May 7, 1918. Winnipeg.
Born June 14, 1896. Swan Lake. 5' 9"
Next John Livingston,father, same address.

William, Murray River, PEI. Enlisted Charlottetown, Oct. 17, 1917.
Born Mar. 22, 1891. Murray river. Stationary Engineer. 5' 7"
Next: James Livingston, Murray River, PEI

Willard, General Delivery, Lobitos, Calif., USA. Enlisted Oct. 5, 1918
Born July 21, 1878, Alma, New Brunswick. Rancher. 5' 10 1/2" in
Next: Mrs. Hattie Barnes, 26 Knight St., Westbrook, Maine. USA.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

William Neil, GNR, 62 Small St., Barrie, Ont. Enlisted May 4, 1916. Guelph
Born Aug 4, 1888. Barrie Ont. Blacksmith. 5' 8"

Next: Lousia Livingston, Mother, same address

William Peter, 444 12th St., E., Owen Sound, Ont. Enlisted Dec. 31, 1915 at Owen Sound
Born Mar. 7, 1897. Sydenham Township, Grey Co., Ont. 5' 6"
Next: Mary Livingston, Mother, same address
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

William Levingston, Portadown, Ireland. Enlisted Nov. 11, Toronto
Born July 1, 1890. Portadown, Ormand, Ire., 2 yrs. Irish Fusillers
Next Mrs. John Levingston, 22 Mooneview Ave., Portadown, County Armagh, Ireland

End.

Happy New Year, to all our members, guests and friends.

The Calendars are Up for 2010!

Regards;

Roberta
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Wow--what a list, Roberta!

Future visitors to the site will be really impressed with this trove of data!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Alan L MacLeod

Post by Alan L MacLeod »

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission [CWGC] lists all the Livingstone soldiers (both with and without the 'e') who served under British command and who died during the 1914-18 war. Twenty-seven are Canadian, 15 Australian, 7 New Zealand and 132 United Kingdom.

The CWGC does splendid work in maintaining the battlefield cemeteries in Flanders and France and its website provides very useful information about soldiers' death dates and the places they are buried or remembered.

Further to Roberta's data on the Canadian enlistments, the link leads to the CWGC list of the 27 CEF Livingstones who died in Flanders and France:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/SearchResult ... &send.y=14

Alan Livingstone MacLeod
Victoria BC
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta and Allan

If you go to the Archives Canada website there is a place where you search for the file of those who served in the Canadian Army in World War 1 if your looking for info on a specific Livingston or Livingstone. There is a searchable feature and the documents or document has been scanned. Lists descriptive info on recuit and name of parents etc. Might be of interest to some family researchers who had a grandfather or great-grandfather in the war. Pretty much the same info as above though with access to a scanned photograph of the original enlistment records.
regards,

Donald
Alan L MacLeod

Post by Alan L MacLeod »

Indeed, the LAC site is a mother lode for those of us looking for WWI Canadian soldiers.

The link to the LAC WWI soldier search page:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/data ... 3nq4711ba3

The attestation (enlistment) documents of 97 Livingstons and 125 Livingstones are available for viewing through this link.

Alan
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Allan and Donald;

I listed the Livingston/e Soldiers who enlisted in Canada for WW1. I used the URL that Allan listed.

Moreover, some Livingstone's who filled-out Attestation papers were deemed "not suitable".

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Roberta and Allan,
By next year I think it is the British Archives should have a searchable site for the some of the British Military records which I think includes the pension records of highlanders that served during the Napoleonic Wars. I have seen some of these already but could not find Angus so far. Lots of highlanders served in the British Army, many in highland regiments. If so then we might be able to locate information or a the location of some detailed records pertaining to old Angus Livingston of Boularderie. Former highland Jacobite soldiers and their sons starting serving in the British Military beginning about a decade after Culloden. General Wolfe we know had ex Jacobite Simon Fraser in command of a regiment of highlanders which accompanied him to Quebec in 1759. Wolfe was a Captain at the Battle of Culloden under the Duke of Cumberland and commented on the bravery of the highland Camerons in particular at Culloden. While there is no evidence that Wolfe had any great respect for the enemy in general at Culloden and was well aware of Cumberlands order of "no quarter" when ordered to execute a captured Jacobite at Culloden he refused. I am hoping that we can follow up eventually and find out more about Angus Livingston and the years he served aboard the "Royal George". (See Roberta and my discussion on the history of the Royal George or should I say Royal Georges as there were a number of boats with that name over a few centuries. I am hoping that his pension records tell us a little more about Angus or at least where in Argyll he came from. I think it almost certain he is from Mull, Kilninian Parish. What was it he called his land grant "Kilninian" I think it was. There were number of Cape Breton settlers that came from Northern Mull so that would not surprise me.

regards,

Donald