Kildalton, Argyll Livingston/es

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Roberta Ann

Kildalton, Argyll Livingston/es

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Everyone;

Donald Livingston, alias John/Livingston/
Birth: Abt. 1704 in Argyll
Ref. # 6007-8-0

Marriage 1 Anna MacInnes

Children
Daniel .............b. April 4, 1731............Kildalton
Alexander.........b. Sept. 8, 1734..............."
Duncan.............b. July 7, 1741................"
James..............June 10, 1747................."
Donald..............March 26, 1750..............."

Daniel Livingston b. April 4, 1731; Alias Donald/Livingston------------brother of Donald b. March 26, 1750
Death: Abt 1793 in Augusta Twp., Leeds Co., Ontario. Killed by a falling tree.
Event: Military 1776; Loyalist soldier in the Revolutionary War
Immigration: Sailed from Greenock, Scotland as a private in the Fraser Highlanders, the famous old 78th Regiment of Foot.
He arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757. For his service, he received a grant of land in what is now Vermont.

I will continue----there is lots more interesting info. about Daniel/Donald, 1731.
Roberta Ann

Re: Kildalton, Argyll Livingston/es

Post by Roberta Ann »

In Edwin Levingston's book on the family, he cites records of Daniel being a soldier in Fraser's Highlanders, of having lived on a farm near Salem, N.Y. and of having moved to Ontario about 1790 where he was granted land as a veteran of United Empire Loyalists. In Dec. 1995, some data given to Ed by a descentant in NY indicated that Daniel was married in Schnectady, NY. although no name was given for his wife. The records at Schnectady were checked and no marriage in 1750-1756 for any Livingston.
When the revolution began he joined General Burgoyne and was present at the defeat of his army. With the end of the wara he came to Augusta and petitioned for land as a settler. Also coming to Canada were his nine sons.
One of those sons was Duncan, who had been born Jan. 14, 1773 in New York State; along with his brothers. Duncan petitioned for land as a Loyalist, stating the he was the son of Daniel Livingston who adhered to the British Standard in the year 77. Duncan appears to have many problems with his land grants but he settled in Kitley, west of what is now Toledo, building mills along the creek which runs across the township linking Irish Lake and Bellamys Lake which was formed when a dam was built on the creek farther west. He also cleared some land which he farmed.

I will list the sons in the next reply
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

father: Donald Livingston b. ABT. 1704, Scotland
Mother: Anna MacInnes

Marriage: Spouse unknown

Married: 1756 in Dutch Reformed Church, Schenectady, New York

Children

Daniel Jr. b.c. 1762 Washington Co., N.Y.
John b.Between 1759 and 1763 in Clayton Twp., N.Y.
Jenny
MaryAnn
Abraham b. c. 1770 Salem, Washington Co., N.Y.
Alexander b.c. 1769 in N.Y.
Simeon b.c. 1777 in N.Y.
Silas b.c. 1767 in Wash., County N.Y.
William b. 1772 in """"""""""""""""""""
Duncan b. Jan. 14, 1773 in New York
David........................................no date

October 29, 1771 he and his family were driven off his land by the "Green Mountain Men" under Ethan Allen. Fled to New Perth (now Salem) and was cared for by friends and members of the Presbyterian Church.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Roberta,

AH yes old Daniel Livingston. He was one of the first highland Livingstons to settle in Upper Canada what is now Ontario as was I understand a loyalist who had served before the revolution in Frasers Highlanders at Quebec in 1759. Indeed from what I seen of the British military records highland Livingstons served in the British military in great numbers during the Napoleonic War period as well. I really enjoyed reading the info. I had not seen the family tree of Daniel's family from the States which I found very interesting. I looked at the petitions of his sons to Government of Upper Canada for land last year I think it was.

regards,

Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Malcolm Livingston born Jan 1 1729 Kildalton
Died Mar 18 1821 West Kilpatrick
married Katharine McArthure born Aug 23 1738 Kildalton married 1758 Lismore
son Duncan born 1759 Lismore

Does this connection make sense? This is the only record during the time frame that comes up on the opr

I know that Duncan's parents are Malcolm Livingston & Kate McArthure as stated on Duncan's baptismal records
Canadian Livingstone

HI Virginia,

If that the Duncan whom you think is Peter's father. Interesting. Yes I would think it would be a Duncan born on the Isle of Lismore. I got the impression from the parish records that Peter's younger brother was born on Lismore and the fact that Peter's mothers family originated on Lismore makes me thing that Peter's father Duncan was born on Lismore. Of course I cant say for certain but sounds plausible. I am interested in that Kildalton connection as that is a parish far away in another part of Argyllshire. I never quite understood why there were Liivngstons in the parish records at Kildalton Isle of Islay in the 1720's before there were in the parish records of Lismore, Appin, and other parishes in Western Argyll. I am very interested in that Opr record you have found and would like to check that out for my own research project. THanks for sharing that.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi All;

Kildalton Marriages

Duncan Liveson married Merran Brown 1725
Duncan Livingston married Mary McLachlin Feb. 17, 1797
Donald Livingston married Margaret MacDougall March 17, 1810
John Livingstone married Betty Ferguson January 16, 1808
Donald Liviston married Mary McNichol--? Dec. 8, 1739
John Liviston married Ann McMillan June 25, 1755

Births:

Mary Livingstone c. May 23, 1748---------father John Livingstone
Anne---------------c. Jan 5, 1806-----------father Alexander Livingston and MotherJanet MacArthur
Christian----------c. Mar. 25, 1800--------father Duncan Livingston
Catherine---------c. July 24, 1819 --------father James Livingston, Mother Effy McDougall
Eliza Livingstone c. May 19, 1817---------father Donald, Mother Margaret MacDougall
Catherine Liviston c. 1728-----------------father John Liviston
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Keep an eye out for any info in the OPR's indicating that there is a Kildalton Parish Isle of Islay and Isle of Lismore Livingston connection. As far as I know the Livingstons in the 1720's at Kildalton were not highland Mcleas but lowland Livingston. By all accounts our highland people were still going by name Mconlea or Maclea in the 1720's in Western Argyll while in the Kildalton Parish entries these people were refering to themselves as Livingston. This is explained by an influx of lowland scots into Kildalton Parish prior to the 1720's I understood. There is unlikely any connection between these "early" Kildalton Livingstons of the 1720's and the Mcleas and Maconleas of Lismore. However if we can find an original document that proves otherwise lets take a look at it to be sure. I have been examing the problem of the Kildalton Livingstons for sometime now and have only the explanation that they were lowland Scots who settled there before the 1720's.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Something has come up when I looked through your info on Daniel b. 1739 born at Kildalton Parish. I need clarification from the original parish record on his parents being Donald Livingston and Ann McInnis. I am very interested in taking a serious look at this baptismal or birth record. Thank-you for this information.

I was contacted by a descendant of another Livingston family that settled near Daniel and his several sons in Ontario. Daniel and his sons all petitioned the Government of Upper Canada for land after leaving the States. I have often wondered how many highland Livingstons were with Frasers Highlanders and General Wolfe at Quebec in 1759. Certainly Daniel Livingston was. He was also one of the first Livingstons to settle in Upper Canada.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Anna MacInnes is listed as the wife of John Livingstone alias Donald. Anna was born in 1708. Doesn't say where. Would you like me to search the place where she was born?

There is marriage 1 before her name suggesting, to me, that Donald/John may have been married twice.

Daniel was born, Kildalton, April 4, 1731. His son, Daniel Jr., was born 1762 and died about 1831. Married to Margaret Dickson or Dickinson b.c. 1778.

ID: 109962 on Roots Web's World Connect.

Loyalist Lineages of Canada 1783-1983. Author: Toronto Branch, the United Empire Loyalist Association of Canada.
Title: Family History & Genealogial Record of Daniel livingston, U.E. and Some of his Descendents
Author: Edwin A. Livingston, C.D., U.E.--Henderson Printing, Brockville, Ontario, 1983 (6007.26)

Regards;

Roberta